The Student Room Group

English Lit for law

If i don't english literature a level, would it put me at a disadvantage for law at cambridge? or other russel groups?
Cambridge says English or other essay-based subjects are good preparation for studying law but not required. So the skills would be useful, but not having the qualification wouldn't be disadvantageous. Why not do it though? Law has a lot of reading and analysis.
Reply 2
Original post by swift513
If i don't english literature a level, would it put me at a disadvantage for law at cambridge? or other russel groups?

I would say it doesn't put you at a disadvantage but they specifically look for essay subjects (e.g. history, eng lit, sociology etc.) I don't think they would offer you a place if you did all sciences as it doesn't show the required skills.
Reply 3
Original post by j2601
I would say it doesn't put you at a disadvantage but they specifically look for essay subjects (e.g. history, eng lit, sociology etc.) I don't think they would offer you a place if you did all sciences as it doesn't show the required skills.

im doing maths, history, classics and spanish?
Reply 4
Original post by penguingirl18
Cambridge says English or other essay-based subjects are good preparation for studying law but not required. So the skills would be useful, but not having the qualification wouldn't be disadvantageous. Why not do it though? Law has a lot of reading and analysis.

im doing history classics maths and maybe spanish, would it be better to replace spanish with english? it's only because i think i could get a better grade in spanish
im doing history classics maths and maybe spanish, would it be better to replace spanish with english? it's only because i think i could get a better grade in spanish

English would give you a better skillset for studying law, but since offers are made based on grades, Spanish might be better if you're worried about getting competitive grades. Hard to say though - that's a difficult choice I think.
Reply 6
Original post by j2601

And yet I know someone who got into Cambridge to read Law having studied Maths, Further Maths, Physics and Chemistry.
Reply 7

Stick with what you enjoy and can do best in - but consider only doing 3 as you need to get 3 top grades. All your subjects are great choices for Law. There is absolutely no need to take English Literature

Your options are perfect for law. History and classics give you the same skills you'd get from english. Take the subjects you think you'd enjoy most because you're more likely to do better and grades matter most.

I want to study law too and I'm doing maths, history, economics and further maths. After a lot of research, I settled on these because I feel like I'd enjoy these subjects most and that's what really matters.

Goodluck with your decision x
Reply 9
Original post by Cant.be.asked
Your options are perfect for law. History and classics give you the same skills you'd get from english. Take the subjects you think you'd enjoy most because you're more likely to do better and grades matter most.

I want to study law too and I'm doing maths, history, economics and further maths. After a lot of research, I settled on these because I feel like I'd enjoy these subjects most and that's what really matters.

Goodluck with your decision x

thanks, same to you!
You don't need any specific A level subjects for Law - just high grades.
An essay based subject - English, Politics, History etc - is useful for skills, but is not essential.

Pick three subjects you will enjoy studying and therefore where you are most likely to get A grades.
Then go to some Uni Open Days this summer term and listen to several different subject talks including Law and work out if Law really is what you want to do, or if any other subject interests you more.

Quick Reply

Latest