The Student Room Group

How to know if I want to be a doctor?

(edited 2 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
I bit on and off at the moment currently doing a levels first year but chose wrong ones
Reply 2
I didn’t chose any lmaoo 😭😭 chose completely different a levels no sciences
Reply 3
Right I might just do option 2. I was thinking of applying for Cambridge which can be highly unlikely at this point unless of any extenuating circumstances does anyone know what this means and would an extenuating circumstance be that I changed my decision on a career path? Doubt that but just asking? Thanks for all help :smile:
Reply 4
I’m not sure that’s why I was asking if I decided to change career paths mid a levels if that was a extenuating circumstance. I am thinking heavily about resisting year 12 to do both bio and Chem next year
Reply 5
Right so I guess that is not an option. Ah well I can apply to one that accepts resits. I just think Im rushing into a career path - thought computer science was for me but the lessons are so boring and I am not enjoying it as much as I used to. I think I just need some time to actually see which career path I like then ig
Reply 6
Yeah I am just relived that I have figured out now rather than later on in year 13! Thanks. I will definitely try out the work experience and see how it goes thanks so much :smile:
Original post by alevels21
Right so I guess that is not an option. Ah well I can apply to one that accepts resits. I just think Im rushing into a career path - thought computer science was for me but the lessons are so boring and I am not enjoying it as much as I used to. I think I just need some time to actually see which career path I like then ig

What A levels are you doing currently?
Reply 8
Original post by Cant.be.asked
What A levels are you doing currently?

CompSci, Math and Further Maths...
Reply 9
CompSci, Math and Further Maths...

My school does it this way for maths - in year 12 finish all a level mathematics both AS and A2. Year 13 do all AS and A2 Further maths. Dont know if this will help!!
If you knew you wanted to be a doctor, you wouldn’t ask this question.
Reply 11
Original post by Mesopotamian.
If you knew you wanted to be a doctor, you wouldn’t ask this question.

Well thats comforting :smile:.
Its been on and off as I have mentioned - I was asking for some tips.
Well thats comforting :smile:.
Its been on and off as I have mentioned - I was asking for some tips.

My answer is literal, it’s not meant to come across as rude or condescending. When you’re sure of something, you don’t question it. There aren’t really any ‘tips’ to answer your question.
Reply 13
My answer is literal, it’s not meant to come across as rude or condescending. When you’re sure of something, you don’t question it. There aren’t really any ‘tips’ to answer your question.

I get what you mean but I was sure of computer scinece, didn't question it at all, and now here I am! Lost and confused
I get what you mean but I was sure of computer scinece, didn't question it at all, and now here I am! Lost and confused

Okay let’s start from the top. What has made you lose interest in CS and what makes you interested in medicine? I knew someone in the same position as you, but exactly the opposite (they went from medicine to CS, and they too were once very sure about medicine until they did a complete 180).
Reply 15
Okay let’s start from the top. What has made you lose interest in CS and what makes you interested in medicine? I knew someone in the same position as you, but exactly the opposite (they went from medicine to CS, and they too were once very sure about medicine until they did a complete 180).

I think that the idea of sitting at a desk all day is just not for me. I do not like algorithms. I think the theory is too intense. In terms of medicine, I like the idea of saving lives, being more active, etc.
I think that the idea of sitting at a desk all day is just not for me. I do not like algorithms. I think the theory is too intense. In terms of medicine, I like the idea of saving lives, being more active, etc.

Right, but lots of jobs don’t involve sitting at a desk and there are a lot of healthcare jobs focused on improving lives, so why medicine specifically?
Reply 17
Right, but lots of jobs don’t involve sitting at a desk and there are a lot of healthcare jobs focused on improving lives, so why medicine specifically?

I just like the idea of helping patients out etc I know lives can’t always be saved medicine just interests me a bit now
I just like the idea of helping patients out etc I know lives can’t always be saved medicine just interests me a bit now

This is a pretty standard but vague response and it doesn’t tell me (or the interviewers - as this is a very common interview question!) why you want to be a doctor specifically. As I said, there are lots of healthcare professions which centre around patient care, so this answer is not unique to medicine.

Note: I’m not trying to grill you for the sake of it, it’s to help you understand why you’re choosing what you’re choosing. If you can’t convince yourself or us, you’re unlikely to convince your interviewers.
(edited 2 years ago)
Reply 19

This is a pretty standard but vague response and it doesn’t tell me (or the interviewers - as this is a very common interview question!) why you want to be a doctor specifically. As I said, there are lots of healthcare professions which centre around patient care, so this answer is not unique to medicine.

Well it empowers me to help people. I want to help people especially when they are at their worst.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending