The Student Room Group

How to know if I want to be a doctor?

Scroll to see replies

Original post by alevels21
Well it empowers me to help people. I want to help people especially when they are at their worst.

It doesn’t seem that we’re getting anywhere here, you’re just repeating the same thing with different words :redface:
Perhaps do some work experience and read about medicine in depth so that you can gain better insight into the profession as a whole, rather than just a generic overview.
My school does it this way for maths - in year 12 finish all a level mathematics both AS and A2. Year 13 do all AS and A2 Further maths. Dont know if this will help!!

I get you, I do maths and fm the same way. If you have lost interest in a cs career maybe consider other career paths with your options such as finance/economics. Are you in y12? If so, maybe see if you can take on another subject, for example physics or economics? Suggesting maths-related careers considering your current options. Hope this helps, goodluck with your decision x
Just to butt in here, for the record Cambridge actually does accept retakes for the most part. I applied this year and ultimately was rejected due to my BMAT being too low, but I enquired to every college before applying.

They basically told me that in my case (which is resitting year 12 to change 2 of my subjects to Bio and Chem), I would be at no disadvantage at all. Similarly if I took a third year to do an additional a-level or two in order to apply, I also would not be disadvantaged. I believe however they don't look as kindly on resits due to low achieved grades, doesn't exclude you from applying but it may count against you in the process.
Reply 23
Original post by will queens
Just to butt in here, for the record Cambridge actually does accept retakes for the most part. I applied this year and ultimately was rejected due to my BMAT being too low, but I enquired to every college before applying.

They basically told me that in my case (which is resitting year 12 to change 2 of my subjects to Bio and Chem), I would be at no disadvantage at all. Similarly if I took a third year to do an additional a-level or two in order to apply, I also would not be disadvantaged. I believe however they don't look as kindly on resits due to low achieved grades, doesn't exclude you from applying but it may count against you in the process.

Omg this made my day thanks a lot!! :smile:
Reply 24

Could you answer some questions for me please:

1. Do you think that your change of mind to do Chem and bio for a levels was worth it?
2. Would you recommend it?
3. How did it feel to resist year 12?

Could you answer some questions for me please:

1. Do you think that your change of mind to do Chem and bio for a levels was worth it?
2. Would you recommend it?
3. How did it feel to resist year 12?

4 weeks late but I'll answer anyway lol

1) yes it was worth it because it's what I actually want to do. I was previously doing English Lit and Spanish in place of these two. Tbh I might even go as far as to say I slightly enjoyed those subjects more, but that's because I like reading and I like languages. But I'm more interested in science, I had very little interest in where those subjects would've led me, and I knew I wanted to go down the medical path. I could not realistically have applied for medicine without them, so I do think it was worth it. And I'm currently holding an offer and waiting on two others so it's certainly worked out.

2) if what you really want to do is medicine, or even if you're sure you want to go down another path than you're on right now, then I would recommend it. For example even if you're not 100% on medicine, but you want to do physics or engineering and you're currently studying English, Spanish and Economics. That would also require a switch. Ultimately, the only other major way route for getting into medicine is to do grad entry after a different degree, which ask anyone on this site and they'll tell you not to. It's longer, more expensive and significantly more competetive than undergrad. There may be some foundation years out there, but I'm afraid I can't tell you too much about them.

3) I'll be honest it was a mixed bag, and might not be for everyone. it didn't help that I repeated in a covid year. I think for me, I honestly just don't like sixth form as a whole, my commute Is long, my school is strict to the point of absurdity, I just don't like the environment in general etc, so doing 3 years of it has been difficult in that respect. Not to mention a-levels are just hard. ( almost over though woooo). There was certainly also a learning curve going back to subjects I hadn't studied for over a long time, but that wasn't too challenging. The hardest part was definitely socially. And I consider myself a very sociable person, I don't find it too difficult to make friends. But it's uniquely challenging when I'm a year older than everyone and I have a fully formed close friendship group in the (now) year above. I think in the first week or so I found myself hanging out with my y13 friends, when I realised I really needed to start making an effort to befriend y12s. It's hard to divide your time, you want to form friendships with the people you've got 2 more years with, but you want to maintain your current friendships. And also, as year 13 goes on a lot of talk devolves into stress about UCAS and exams, being in the year below definitely created a small barrier between me and my y13 fiends.

The hardest part was starting my y13 (y14), and having all my friends go off to uni. Couple that with starting y13 content, and the stress of applying for medicine it definitely sent me into a bit of a depression. But I've pushed through. I go to visit them at their unis, and we all meet up when they come home, it's working! Nowadays I think I've fully accustomed to being in this year group and sometime I forget I'm older. This just feels like y13 to me. Having said that I also feel infinitely closer to my previous year group and my friends in there. E.g I'm not even sure if I want to go to prom, because i't doesn't quite feel right. Can't explain it. But my best friends are in my previous year group, we've all stayed close despite being across the country. I don't see myself staying in touch with people in this year group and that's okay.

All in all it can definitely be difficult repeating the year. Lot's of things can get to you. The things I've listed, but also small things like teachers telling me at my big age of 19 when it's acceptable to go to the toilet. But time really does fly, it does not feel like it's been 3 years, I've only got 3 months left now haha. If it's what you want, then go for it.
Reply 26
4 weeks late but I'll answer anyway lol

1) yes it was worth it because it's what I actually want to do. I was previously doing English Lit and Spanish in place of these two. Tbh I might even go as far as to say I slightly enjoyed those subjects more, but that's because I like reading and I like languages. But I'm more interested in science, I had very little interest in where those subjects would've led me, and I knew I wanted to go down the medical path. I could not realistically have applied for medicine without them, so I do think it was worth it. And I'm currently holding an offer and waiting on two others so it's certainly worked out.

2) if what you really want to do is medicine, or even if you're sure you want to go down another path than you're on right now, then I would recommend it. For example even if you're not 100% on medicine, but you want to do physics or engineering and you're currently studying English, Spanish and Economics. That would also require a switch. Ultimately, the only other major way route for getting into medicine is to do grad entry after a different degree, which ask anyone on this site and they'll tell you not to. It's longer, more expensive and significantly more competetive than undergrad. There may be some foundation years out there, but I'm afraid I can't tell you too much about them.

3) I'll be honest it was a mixed bag, and might not be for everyone. it didn't help that I repeated in a covid year. I think for me, I honestly just don't like sixth form as a whole, my commute Is long, my school is strict to the point of absurdity, I just don't like the environment in general etc, so doing 3 years of it has been difficult in that respect. Not to mention a-levels are just hard. ( almost over though woooo). There was certainly also a learning curve going back to subjects I hadn't studied for over a long time, but that wasn't too challenging. The hardest part was definitely socially. And I consider myself a very sociable person, I don't find it too difficult to make friends. But it's uniquely challenging when I'm a year older than everyone and I have a fully formed close friendship group in the (now) year above. I think in the first week or so I found myself hanging out with my y13 friends, when I realised I really needed to start making an effort to befriend y12s. It's hard to divide your time, you want to form friendships with the people you've got 2 more years with, but you want to maintain your current friendships. And also, as year 13 goes on a lot of talk devolves into stress about UCAS and exams, being in the year below definitely created a small barrier between me and my y13 fiends.

The hardest part was starting my y13 (y14), and having all my friends go off to uni. Couple that with starting y13 content, and the stress of applying for medicine it definitely sent me into a bit of a depression. But I've pushed through. I go to visit them at their unis, and we all meet up when they come home, it's working! Nowadays I think I've fully accustomed to being in this year group and sometime I forget I'm older. This just feels like y13 to me. Having said that I also feel infinitely closer to my previous year group and my friends in there. E.g I'm not even sure if I want to go to prom, because i't doesn't quite feel right. Can't explain it. But my best friends are in my previous year group, we've all stayed close despite being across the country. I don't see myself staying in touch with people in this year group and that's okay.

All in all it can definitely be difficult repeating the year. Lot's of things can get to you. The things I've listed, but also small things like teachers telling me at my big age of 19 when it's acceptable to go to the toilet. But time really does fly, it does not feel like it's been 3 years, I've only got 3 months left now haha. If it's what you want, then go for it.

thank you for this, it has really helped a lot in making my decision! And yeah it does seem daunting but I'd rather make the decision now rather than make it once Ive done a career I potentially didnt like.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending