The Student Room Group

Are you considering a postgrad course?

Poll

If you're currently considering doing a postgrad course, why is that?

Is a postgrad course currently on your list of considerations for your future?

We asked this question last year and found the pandemic had affected lots of people's decisions to consider postgrad. UK-wide stats are also now saying there's been a 24% increase in people taking a taught postgrad courses.

So what's got you thinking about a postgrad?

Has your thinking changed since the pandemic?
If anything the pandemic actually had the opposite affect on me, before it all started I wanted to do a postgrad at somewhere like GSA in theatre production but since the pandemic I now just want to get out of education and work in the industry.

I was fortunate enough that the final lockdown 3 actually prompted me (5 days before the deadline) to apply to study abroad for this academic year to study Technical Theatre in the US so I've managed successfully to study & work in the exact field I wanted whilst still in undergrad and when I return for my final year in September I plan to just get work experience at a local theatre until I graduate and then see here it takes me, but I think i'll now save the remainder of the money I would've spent on postgrad and put it into savings since the industry isn't exactly the most secure with work.
Yes.
I'm always keen to add to my collection of postgrad qualifications.
Original post by Fresher18
If anything the pandemic actually had the opposite affect on me, before it all started I wanted to do a postgrad at somewhere like GSA in theatre production but since the pandemic I now just want to get out of education and work in the industry.

I was fortunate enough that the final lockdown 3 actually prompted me (5 days before the deadline) to apply to study abroad for this academic year to study Technical Theatre in the US so I've managed successfully to study & work in the exact field I wanted whilst still in undergrad and when I return for my final year in September I plan to just get work experience at a local theatre until I graduate and then see here it takes me, but I think i'll now save the remainder of the money I would've spent on postgrad and put it into savings since the industry isn't exactly the most secure with work.

Wow what an interesting experience you've had over the past year. That's amazing that you were able to get over the US and get such wonderful experience. Out of interest, what had made you want to do a postgrad initially? I find your story particularly interesting as I used to dabble in technical theatre back in the day. It's such an interesting field! What's your specialty?

Original post by londonmyst
Yes.
I'm always keen to add to my collection of postgrad qualifications.

Cool, so you've already got some postgrads? What is it that you love about the postgrad life?
Reply 4
Half tempted by a couple more but they'd surely be for indulgence rather than necessity as I already have three postgrad qualifications, including a terminal degree.
I already have a PGCE, and I am planning to apply for a masters in the next year or so (though i would be studying it part-time whilst working full-time as a teacher).
My view on gaining postgrad qualifications hasn't really changed tbh.
I'm quite open to the idea of doing a PhD of some sort in the future too.
Original post by BlinkyBill
Wow what an interesting experience you've had over the past year. That's amazing that you were able to get over the US and get such wonderful experience. Out of interest, what had made you want to do a postgrad initially? I find your story particularly interesting as I used to dabble in technical theatre back in the day. It's such an interesting field! What's your specialty?

It sure has been interesting especially with adjusting to working with covid procedures for all shows and having in person classes again (I never thought I'd be pleased to actually go to class). Originally what inspired me to do a postgrad was to get the practical experience and specialize in technical theatre production since my course back in the UK is mainly theory based and on Film & TV with not much to do with theatre so I thought it would help but covid made me realize there are other and cheaper ways to get the practical experience without having that piece of paper to say you studied it.

My specialty leans more towards Lighting whether boring old electrician or programmer but have experience in many areas. In the past 7 since I arrived in the states I've done everything from the scene shop building sets, props/fly crew and on sound for micing the cast which I already had sound board op experience back home from my old workplace, this semester I'm LX operator for a show opening Friday, sound op for one in about a month and on fly crew for one in May plus helping out in the costume studio.
Gosh yeah I wouldn't be surprised if a lot of students are in a similar position to you. :frown: I hope it does turn out to be possible for you soon!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending