The Student Room Group

A levle biology textbook

I get that A level exams are a few weeks away and that I am highly unprepared, but I want to know if anyone knows what the best textbook is for A level biology is? The ones provided by my school contain so much extra information that makes finding what's necessary very hard. I have the CGP book but I find it isn't as detailed as the course requires... I just want a book that has what's needed to the right level of detail. Please help!
Yeah I also had the same problem when I was doing my A-levels. The text book bored me when it started adding unnecessary info.

I noticed that following the specification (which you can find online for you exam board) was a god send though. Basically, it made me learn exactly what could potentially be tested.

So, say I wanted to learn a topic… instead of looking at the text book first, I would refer to the specification point and see exactly what the exam board wants students to know and at what level of depth. Then I would go to the text book and try and answer that specification point; ensuring that I knew it.

To put it simply, my learning and revision was centred around the specification. The way it is, the examiner can not test you on anything that is not on the specification so make sure you’re utilising it.
Reply 2
Original post by CaptainDuckie
Yeah I also had the same problem when I was doing my A-levels. The text book bored me when it started adding unnecessary info.

I noticed that following the specification (which you can find online for you exam board) was a god send though. Basically, it made me learn exactly what could potentially be tested.

So, say I wanted to learn a topic… instead of looking at the text book first, I would refer to the specification point and see exactly what the exam board wants students to know and at what level of depth. Then I would go to the text book and try and answer that specification point; ensuring that I knew it.

To put it simply, my learning and revision was centred around the specification. The way it is, the examiner can not test you on anything that is not on the specification so make sure you’re utilising it.

I totally forgot to say thank you. I tried doing it for a test and found it helped with content heavy questions. Now just need to work on scenario and application questions.
Original post by jesspautz_
I totally forgot to say thank you. I tried doing it for a test and found it helped with content heavy questions. Now just need to work on scenario and application questions.

For scenario and application question, you could use the same method. It still works tbh.

You might just need to think about to what specification point it’s testing you on. Read around the points to gather a broader understanding for these type of questions.

Quick Reply

Latest