The Student Room Group

FPAS application - How do you get allocated to a hospital?

How does allocation work? Do they randomly assign you to a hospital for your fy1/fy2 years? Ideally i want to work close to home after graduation.
Reply 1
Do you get to rank the areas which you would like to work at and then based on your epm/sjt you will be allocated a place?
Reply 2
Link isnt working
Reply 3
thanks
Reply 4
How would sorting out accommodation work after getting matched to a hospital? Is there a way to book accommodation months in advanced like with uni accommodation? Or would i have to wait till near the start of fy1 and look for any available accomodation eg. On spareroom?
Reply 5
Thank you. Can i ask what is hospital accommodation? I will be starting y1 this year i just want everything to be planned out so i know what i will be doing in 10 years time.
Reply 6
Original post by wiccan404
Thank you. Can i ask what is hospital accommodation? I will be starting y1 this year i just want everything to be planned out so i know what i will be doing in 10 years time.

Most (not all) hospitals have some staff accommodation on/near site, which you can rent at usually fairly reasonable prices. It seems to mostly be flats with around 4 bedrooms and shared bathroom/kitchen facilities, and varies a lot in how nice it is. Some doctors live there but far more end up living with partners/friends/in other house shares if they can't afford a place of their own.

As for planning in 10 years time - you can't!
Reply 7
Original post by Helenia
Most (not all) hospitals have some staff accommodation on/near site, which you can rent at usually fairly reasonable prices. It seems to mostly be flats with around 4 bedrooms and shared bathroom/kitchen facilities, and varies a lot in how nice it is. Some doctors live there but far more end up living with partners/friends/in other house shares if they can't afford a place of their own.

As for planning in 10 years time - you can't!

How do you know which hospitals offer it or not? Can you rent it for both fy years? Thanks
Reply 8
Original post by wiccan404
How do you know which hospitals offer it or not? Can you rent it for both fy years? Thanks

You can probably find the information buried deep in most trusts,' websites, usually under the "for staff" section. It may not give much information online such as prices etc, unless you make direct enquiries.

You could rent there for the whole of Foundation programme if your trust had available accommodation and you wanted to, but I'd say it's pretty rare for doctors to do so these days. Some may move there initially as it's an easy option while looking for a private rental/houseshare, but I don't think many stay for the whole year tbh - but my experience is fairly limited as my F1 hospital had no doctors accommodation and I don't think anyone lived on site at my F2 hospital either. I've only used it once for a couple of weeks while waiting to move into a new flat, and occasionally for short stays if I'm doing consecutive nights/long days (I have a long commute).
Reply 9
Thanks

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending