The Student Room Group

Tips For Remembering RAF Aircraft Bases

Hey guys,

just doing my research for my interview, iv currently been researching ''current operations, current affairs, aircraft and the RAF RISE ethos code booklet (small blue)''

and now moving on to the aircraft bases and armaments... any tips for rememberin these, the planes seem to be spread across many bases over the UK, are they catogarised or anything? Thanks Paul

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
I dont think there are any big tips. You have your five type of aircraft: Fast Jet, Fixed Wing, Rotary, Training and Future Aircraft.

Look at the RAF site and note down each aircraft and where it is based etc. It just a case of sitting down and learning it.
Reply 2
yeah was just thinking that, will they expect me to know the sqaudrons etc

Eg : E-3D Sentry : 8 Squadron & 23 Squadron based at RAFWaddington... or that to in depth?
Rather than Fixed Wing, I think you mean Multi Engine - the collective name for Hercules, TriStars, VC10s, Nimrods and Sentrys. Fixed Wing refers to all.. well fixed wing aircraft, as opposed to helicopters that flap, so would include some training aircraft and all fast jets.
Reply 4
Yes I understand that. The fixed wing category is for all fixed wing aircraft that dont fall in the other categories! Probably a more confusing way however :smile:
Reply 5
ph0en1x23
yeah was just thinking that, will they expect me to know the sqaudrons etc

Eg : E-3D Sentry : 8 Squadron & 23 Squadron based at RAFWaddington... or that to in depth?

I dont think your expected to know all the squadrons however you do tend to remember some through your base visits and through interest in particular aircraft
What are you going for? Officer or Airman?
C17TWM
Yes I understand that. The fixed wing category is for all fixed wing aircraft that dont fall in the other categories! Probably a more confusing way however :smile:

No it isn't. Fixed wing means an aircraft whose wings are fixed ie not helicopters. The division of aircraft (above type eg Hercules or function eg Ground Attack) is Fast Jet, Multi Engine and Rotary, with Training added if considering aircraft beyond the front-line. So for example, during aircrew training, you are streamed Fast Jet, Multi Engine or Rotary.
Reply 8
Haha ok. Yes the category I put down was wrong. All the multi-engine aircraft are fixed wing aircraft though. That is what I was trying to explain!
Ok I have lost my massive post twice due to my inability to open a new tab to search. Just go on the RAF website in the equipment section and get each airframe and right down which sqns have it and where they are based. You will soon realise it's actually really easy. I had to Google to check out a few Sqn numbers but otherwise I can tell you where EVERYTHING is based. You'll realises there are main bases for certain types. Do some work boyo.
Reply 10
cheers for the advise guys, im going for NCA WSOp :smile:
Reply 11
Best way to lean....I took BH's idea of sticking stuff on EVERY part of my house lol.

You could come here and ask my parents where 55(R) was based and they could tell you....bless them.

My entire bedroom wall was covered with all the aircraft with their respective Sqns and bases. You pick them up very fast, and I can remember them now almost a year later. It won't be easy but you need to know the important ones like your training Sqns/bases.
Reply 12
It's not terribly difficult, to be honest. If you're going to be a WSOp I suggest you start by learning every type that has one in the crew, and where they're based; as they're the ones you could end up working on!

When you think about it, there aren't many bases. 1 for the F3, 2 for the GR4. 2 for Harriers, 1 for Typhoon. 1 for Hercules. 1 for VC10 and Tri-star, and C17. 1 for the 125 and 146. 1 for Chinook and 2 for Puma, 1 for Merlin (which is the same as 1 of the Puma bases).

When you think about it like that you realise it's quite small.
Wzz
It's not terribly difficult, to be honest. If you're going to be a WSOp I suggest you start by learning every type that has one in the crew, and where they're based; as they're the ones you could end up working on!

When you think about it, there aren't many bases. 1 for the F3, 2 for the GR4. 2 for Harriers, 1 for Typhoon. 1 for Hercules. 1 for VC10 and Tri-star, and C17. 1 for the 125 and 146. 1 for Chinook and 2 for Puma, 1 for Merlin (which is the same as 1 of the Puma bases).

When you think about it like that you realise it's quite small.

Plus a few flights of Sea Kings, some Hawks and Grobs (but lets ignore the UAS for the time being...) a couple of research/development places here and there, and a couple for Nimrod/surveillance.
I found a map of the UK with the bases marked and the respective types shown useful. Air Force Monthly did one a couple of years ago that was good, but was out of date within 3 months. (Or working somewhere that involves having to know where most of the airframes are based - that works too).
My local Asda had the RAF 2009 book in stock, haven't had a look yet, but it's likely to have most of the gen in it, all for the reasonable price of £4.99 /plug.

In all honesty, I think Wzz' way may well be the easiest, but get a list of "training stations" as well. The jokes about there being one base for air transport, one for air defence, one for helis and one for ground attack isn't that far off the mark.
Reply 14
With regard to training bases, make sure you know in-depth details of the ones you might get posted to. As a WSOp applicant, know everything about WSOp training; preferably right down to how many hours you do on each course. Know where the OCUs or OCFs for the types you might fly on are as well.
Don't forget he Griffin - Shawbs and Cyprus
Lady Venom
Don't forget he Griffin - Shawbs and Cyprus

Good point. Was trying to avoid any non UK bases, cause I've only just got my head around 1312, 1435 and 1564 flights from down south and I was there for three months! ;D Seems like alot to dump on someone that's already panicking a bit.
Reply 17
But, as a wannabe WSOp, he doesn't need to worry too much about squadron numbers and the suchlike for the fast jet bases. He could, however, be posted to the FI or end up on 84 Sqn in Cyprus, so it's worth noting that they exist.
Wzz
But, as a wannabe WSOp, he doesn't need to worry too much about squadron numbers and the suchlike for the fast jet bases. He could, however, be posted to the FI or end up on 84 Sqn in Cyprus, so it's worth noting that they exist.

Exactement. He should know the Sqn numbers if he can of likely postings. It's not mandatory but the more knowledge you have the better.
Reply 19
k thanks guys, here basically what im gonna learn then:

All Aircraft/Helicoptor Names.
Aircraft Roles Eg, Ground Attack, Support, Air - Air
Their Armaments / Missles
Base Names
Sqn Numbers
Everything about WSOp training including the individual sections to each sector
Current Affairs
My reasons for joining
History of RAF
My view on the War