The Student Room Group

Medicine after Maths??

Hey all,
I am currently doing Mathematics at Imperial and I want to get onto the GEM programme but since I have zero work experience ( I am intending to build up on it this year), I was wondering what were your hours if you were successful in the programme? I am an international student and was a part of an organisation called National Service Scheme (NSS) where in I completed 240 hours of volunteering.
About NSS - The programme aims to instilling the idea of social welfare in students, and to provide service to society without bias. NSS volunteers work to ensure that everyone who is needy gets help to enhance their standard of living and lead a life of dignity. In doing so, volunteers learn from people in villages how to lead a good life despite a scarcity of resources. it also provides help in natural and man-made disasters by providing food, clothing and first aid to the disaster's victims.
I was wondering if this would count as work experience? I also worked for a bit at local hospital but roughly for two weeks or so. I feel very prepared for GAMSAT and UCAT so if I end up with anything around 3000 or so will it increase my chances? I am just worried about all this. Moreover, Chemistry in Year 12 was kind of screwed for all of us in school. Nobody got more than a B and I ended up with a C grade and did not take Biology in Year 12 but have all other A*. I was wondering if I would be eligible at all for standard entry or if there is anything I could do to improve my chances?
I would be very grateful for the same to all of you!
You will need specifically medicine relevant and recent work experience to make a competitive application I believe. Also it's not about how much work experience you have, but about how effectively you can reflect on it. Normally this would be experience in a caring role I gather (particularly for GEM programmes) rather than more "general" work experience.

You'll need to make sure you meet their entry requirements otherwise as well, including any A-level requirements or subject specific background. If it says it requires A-level Chemistry at grade B or above in first sitting or A* if taken after your degree, you will need to do that, for example.
(edited 2 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending