The Student Room Group

Is it better if i do an accounting degree or not?

I'm thinking of studying History and Politics at University because I am really passionate about the subject. However, some of the careers that this degree will enable me to get onto don't appeal to me, such as teaching, journalism or law.

I know there are many other things I can do, but I've recently been interested in accounting and have heard people with Biology degrees or History degrees have become one. So my question is if I do my History & Politics degree would I have a good chance of becoming an accountant, and how do I become one?
Depends somewhat on your a level grades and to a lesser extent on a level subjects.
Original post by ajj2000
Depends somewhat on your a level grades and to a lesser extent on a level subjects.

My a level grades? In what shape or form?
Original post by beatricehalley
My a level grades? In what shape or form?

Accounting firms and industry equivalents have tended to place a lot of emphasis on A level grades when they recruit graduate trainees. There are some exceptions but its very much the norm.
Original post by ajj2000
Accounting firms and industry equivalents have tended to place a lot of emphasis on A level grades when they recruit graduate trainees. There are some exceptions but its very much the norm.

Could you provide a link for this information I am very confused? Is it similar to how most law firms require AAA-ABB grades
Could you provide a link for this information I am very confused? Is it similar to how most law firms require AAA-ABB grades

You can check the websites for different accounting firms grad schemes. Unfortunately their minimum grades are somewhat more hidden than they used to be but still available. The norm seems to be BBB or equivalent at A level some variations in minimum requirements for GCSE maths and English. Not all firms have grade requirements but most do. Of course this could all change by the time you would be applying. There has been an increasing emphasis on aptitude tests over the last few years.
I'm thinking of studying History and Politics at University because I am really passionate about the subject. However, some of the careers that this degree will enable me to get onto don't appeal to me, such as teaching, journalism or law.

I know there are many other things I can do, but I've recently been interested in accounting and have heard people with Biology degrees or History degrees have become one. So my question is if I do my History & Politics degree would I have a good chance of becoming an accountant, and how do I become one?

The reality is that you don't need a degree at all to start your career in accounting. I have seen plenty of accounting and finance apprenticeships (Level 6 and level 7) that accept sixth form leavers. I think this would probably be a better option for you. Basically, you can start your career after you finish your A-Levels.
(edited 1 year ago)
Original post by Eigenvectorxyz
The reality is that you don't need a degree at all to start your career in accounting. I have seen plenty of accounting and finance apprenticeships (Level 6 and level 7) that accept sixth form leavers. I think this would probably be a better option for you. Basically, you can start your career after you finish your A-Levels.

I don't know if I would want to pass the chance of studying something fun at University tho :/
I don't know if I would want to pass the chance of studying something fun at University tho :/

If you would like to have some fun at university then that's a fair point. Lots of students go to uni to party, drink and mess around and do no work, then these entitled students hope that they'll end up being managers when they leave uni and their degrees are pretty much useless. An apprenticeship can bring so many benefits. You'll start your career early, get paid and you won't be in debt and you can get the same level qualification as university students. There aren't that many downsides to it except that you'll miss out all the fun at uni, so I totally get where you're coming from. Sometimes you just aren't ready to start full-time work and that's understandable.
You do not need a specific degree to get into accounting in most cases. A 2:1 in any subject and certain A-level requirements is all that is necessary normally.

If you do decide to go to university, pick a subject you know you will enjoy and will do well in. You are paying a lot of money and investing a lot of time and effort - make sure you set yourself up for success and not misery.

Crucially, you need to be applying for insight weeks in first-year, then summer internships (essential if you want to make your life easier in third-year) in second-year and hopefully get a place on an accountancy graduate scheme before you even begin your final year of study so you can work on your dissertation and final-year exams without the stress of assessment centres and interviews.
(edited 1 year ago)
Original post by Eigenvectorxyz
If you would like to have some fun at university then that's a fair point. Lots of students go to uni to party, drink and mess around and do no work, then these entitled students hope that they'll end up being managers when they leave uni and their degrees are pretty much useless. An apprenticeship can bring so many benefits. You'll start your career early, get paid and you won't be in debt and you can get the same level qualification as university students. There aren't that many downsides to it except that you'll miss out all the fun at uni, so I totally get where you're coming from. Sometimes you just aren't ready to start full-time work and that's understandable.

I actually don't wanna go out and party all the time, I'm a very introverted person. I just am hang up on studying History and Politics because it is a very engaging and enriching subject for me to learn. If I do an apprenticeship, I'll miss that chance. Although I guess an argument can be made whether I should just pursue this as a hobby in my free time and not make it harder? If it is harder...
Original post by Blue_Cow
You do not need a specific degree to get into accounting in most cases. A 2:1 in any subject and certain A-level requirements is all that is necessary normally.

If you do decide to go to university, pick a subject you know you will enjoy and will do well in. You are paying a lot of money and investing a lot of time and effort - make sure you set yourself up for success and not misery.

Crucially, you need to be applying for insight weeks in first-year, then summer internships (essential if you want to make your life easier in third-year) in second-year and hopefully get a place on an accountancy graduate scheme before you even begin your final year of study so you can work on your dissertation and final-year exams without the stress of assessment centres and interviews.

What A level grades do I need? I have grades ABC.
What A level grades do I need? I have grades ABC.

Depends. Some places like Deloitte only need 104 UCAS points and they will consider borderline cases. Should be fine with ABC.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending