The Student Room Group

how do I ask a med student in the year above to use their Anki flashcards?

It would save me so much time, and ive heard some med students share their decks. I only know people in the year above on a hi and bye basis and do not speak to them regularly. what do I do? do I just ask? what if they say no, I am desperate
Original post by tayk477
It would save me so much time, and ive heard some med students share their decks. I only know people in the year above on a hi and bye basis and do not speak to them regularly. what do I do? do I just ask? what if they say no, I am desperate

I'd start by just making small talk and asking for general advice on coping with the course load.
Then ask if they are familiar with Anki?
If yes, ask "how useful did they find it for the material in <what ever year you're in> "
Ask them if they'd be willing to share an old deck to get you started.

(make sure you know how to share a deck in case they agree but don't know how to share it )

Use them get familiar with Anki, make some of your own
Approach them and let them know how useful you found it and show them some of your own.
Chances are it'll be a topic they've done flashcards for
and they might share their completed deck with you.

Whatever you do, DO NOT come across as desperate
(edited 1 year ago)
Original post by tayk477

Then they've said no and you're where you are now. You have nothing to lose.
I actually found the process of making revision notes to be most helpful in learning the material. Reading someone else’s notes is only minimally useful. Making your own forces you to understand what you’re writing and helps you retain it
Original post by Chwirkytheappleboy
I actually found the process of making revision notes to be most helpful in learning the material. Reading someone else’s notes is only minimally useful. Making your own forces you to understand what you’re writing and helps you retain it

I think it depends on the study style of the person. I hated making my own notes and felt it took too long and I don’t actually learn from them. I found annotating notes made by the revision society much more efficient
Reply 5
Original post by ForestCat
I think it depends on the study style of the person. I hated making my own notes and felt it took too long and I don’t actually learn from them. I found annotating notes made by the revision society much more efficient

how should I go about asking and not make it awkward? Im an awkward person
Original post by tayk477
how should I go about asking and not make it awkward? Im an awkward person

Are there any study societies? Ask people in your year if there are any going around. For me I found there were always things floating around but this was a few years ago now
Reply 7
Original post by ForestCat
Are there any study societies? Ask people in your year if there are any going around. For me I found there were always things floating around but this was a few years ago now

there's general medic socities but not so much just for studying? Should I approach an older medic in person that I saw on instagram and just ask straight up?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending