The Student Room Group

Postgraduate study at Hallam - what's stopping you?

Knowing what to do after you finish your degree can be difficult, as there are so many options for you after you graduate. You may be considering internships, volunteering, going into a job or even further study.

One route I will explore in this post is postgraduate study, so if you interested in postgraduate study or you’re a Hallam student in your final year, then read on :smile:

Postgraduate study could be right for you for lots of reasons. It can help you focus on a niche area of your undergraduate degree subject that you’re passionate about and enhance your skills for the grad job market. It can help you change career path, as you can study something different than you are now. It can also provide a place to explore your options if you are not certain of what it is you want to do after you graduate from your undergraduate degree.

For me, I decided to study a masters in Developmental Psychology after I finished my undergraduate degree in Social Work. I felt that doing a postgraduate degree at Hallam would allow me to explore my options going forward by giving me time to decide on my future career path, as well as create new opportunities and follow a passion I developed on my first degree course.

I also took advantage of the Class of 2020 further study offer which included discounted fees for postgraduate study for eligible final year students which is now available for many students graduating in 2022 with other discounts for alumni.

You can learn more about how I benefitted from this discount here: 'The discounted fee can help you pursue your goals with less financial worries' | Sheffield Hallam University (shu.ac.uk)

You can also read other stories from other continuing students who took advantage of this reduced fee here:

'The further study discount meant I could intern as a strength and conditioning coach.' | Sheffield Hallam University (shu.ac.uk)

'Without the reduced fee I would've had to take a gap year to save up for the course.' | Sheffield Hallam University (shu.ac.uk)

I also benefitted from a range of wellbeing and careers support available for Hallam students in their final year - this page provides helpful information and guidance.

If you want to find out more, I recommend you Book onto Sheffield Hallam’s postgraduate virtual open day on May 18. Join academics in live zoom sessions, ask any questions you have, and learn more about the courses you are interested in. If you’re a final year student you can also find out more about the postgraduate discounted fees you may be eligible for.

I hope this has given you a good idea of how postgraduate study could be right for you and what studying postgrad is like at Sheffield Hallam. I would love to hear from you all, the courses you are studying, if postgraduate study interests you and will answer any questions you might have. If you’re in your final year at Sheffield Hallam, you can ask me more about how the final year support offer benefitted me financially along with the other careers support I received.

- Rosie, Sheffield Hallam student ambassador and MSc Developmental Psychology graduate

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending