The Student Room Group

I think I want to be a teacher

So, I start uni in September (history @ hull) and I think I want to be a secondary school history teacher. Are there any ways to gain skills and experience while at uni? Or do I have to wait until I finish my course before I can get into teacher training? I’m not sure how it really works, because I’ve seen many ‘student teachers’ at my high school. Any advice would be appreciated!
Original post by _ella._
So, I start uni in September (history @ hull) and I think I want to be a secondary school history teacher. Are there any ways to gain skills and experience while at uni? Or do I have to wait until I finish my course before I can get into teacher training? I’m not sure how it really works, because I’ve seen many ‘student teachers’ at my high school. Any advice would be appreciated!

If you look at the student union pages, there will probably be a section on volunteering, or there may be an educational charities society. In volunteering, you will probably be able to find a role as a reading mentor, school helper of some kind or something similar. In the socs, you may find one that does something similar, possibly even abroad.
Reply 2
Original post by Trinculo
If you look at the student union pages, there will probably be a section on volunteering, or there may be an educational charities society. In volunteering, you will probably be able to find a role as a reading mentor, school helper of some kind or something similar. In the socs, you may find one that does something similar, possibly even abroad.

Thank you!!
Email some secondary schools for work experience.
Depending on your uni timetable, you might be able to do work experience one day a week for a period of time. That's what I did when I was doing my undergrad.
Reply 4
Original post by 1secondsofvamps
Email some secondary schools for work experience.
Depending on your uni timetable, you might be able to do work experience one day a week for a period of time. That's what I did when I was doing my undergrad.

Thank you. Did you find that helpful/ what skills did you pick up? X
Original post by _ella._
Thank you. Did you find that helpful/ what skills did you pick up? X

Yes, it was helpful. I was able to observe things like behaviour management techniques and supporting pupils with EAL, which really helped when I was writing my PGCE personal statement.
I qualified as a primary school teacher last year :smile:
Reply 6
Original post by 1secondsofvamps
Yes, it was helpful. I was able to observe things like behaviour management techniques and supporting pupils with EAL, which really helped when I was writing my PGCE personal statement.
I qualified as a primary school teacher last year :smile:

Thank you so much and congrats!!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending