The Student Room Group

NHS Clinical Scientist Recruitment

Scroll to see replies

ok......stress overload....there's a chance my application could be lost!?!? :s-smilie:

I was going to send individual copies of the application to each lab but was told by the recruitment agency not to do that!! Why did you post this on a Fri evening! lol I'll be sweating about this until Mon morn!!

sarahfal86 - one question about your last post - you say they've lost 2 of 3? Surely one copy will do as you should have all 3 choices on the front?? Or did you write 3 seperate personal statements? (which I hope your not allowed to do as I didn't)
Reply 81
Woah! Lost?! Did you call and find out or something? should weall be worried?!!
Reply 82
Firstly, I dont want to panic anyone!Most likely, it was just mine that got lost!I emailed in the same application three times for 3 different positions and got 3 different confirmatory emails so i assumed that everything was all hunky dorey!
I had emailed the labs wanting to go visit them and they said that they would keep an eye out for my application and I could visit then but one of the labs emailed me yesterday morning saying that they received all the applications but that mine wasnt among them!!Cue complete panic from my end and a lot of phone calls and emails later it was finally sorted out! Got me worried though!
Hey I'm interested in maybe doing this if i do my Biology degree as i would prefer to do the Genetics/Health modules that are offered at UoD.

Are my chances hindered because it would be Biology instead of Biochem or chemical Biology or something like that?

Would i have to complete a masters in one the areas i would like to go into? Thanks
I would say that yes you are slightly disadvantaged with a broad Bio degree compared to a more focused degree like biomed, biochem, genetics etc. But i'm sure you can pick your own modules so make sure they are as medically related as possible and get a part time job with your local NHS lab as a medical lab assist. If you show your determination for this career, the earlier the better, then you will have a decent chance!

A masters in a specific topic would surely add substantial weight to your application but as i've just mentioned - you can have a good chance without.
this is the UoD degree: You choose in the second year but already thinking of biomolecular process/cell struture and function/microbes and diseases/Physiological mechanisms in health and disease. And my third year genetic technologies/oncolgy/Pathogenic Microbial Interactions and i havent decided on my last two would they be good choices?

I'm also thinking of a career in research biology if i cant or a masters in a health masters:

Radiography/speech therapy. Whats audiography that sounds rather interesting
have you thought about clinical microbiology - it seems the most relevant to your chosen modules? Radiography/speech therapy is not really in line with anything under the umbrella of NHS clinical science.
Audiography - it involves improving hearing and balance, helping with audio aids etc. as a physiological science I don't think your modules are relevant though - i think your degree is more in line with the life sciences;
Toxicology
Molecular genetics
Microbiology
....but to be honest i think that's all you could apply for really...but don't quote me on this!

A masters in a specific subject would definately open your choices.
Thats the sort of route i was planning on in labs, you get enviromental modules or life modules but its really flexible

http://www.derby.ac.uk/undergraduate/courses?csId=4182110&eduCourseSearchText=biolo

These are the Biology courses and degrees you can do the chemical biology doesnt seem right for me. Radiography/Speech is if i feel thats the way i want to go, sort of keeping options open at the moment. But this route in with Biology sounds really good, good scope for employment prospects and sounds like a lot of fun and definantly something that would seriously consider should i not get onto the first option (OT) as Biology is my back up, hence exploring routes with this.
Derby don't seem to offer a good range of subjects at BSc level - have you considered a different uni? I think if you are honestly considering clinical science then choose a more focused degree - at a different uni. Biomed will leave you open to options but if you want to focus even more you could pick, genetics, biochem, audiology, immunology, etc.

That said if OT was my first choice then I would strive to make it happen. At this stage in your life you should put the effort in, rather than realising a few years down the line that OT is what you've always wanted - even if that means taking a year out to redo alevels and to reapply.
I am going to do everything to do OT but i was told that i would be able to get onto a biology or a degree that i would be on a degree that isnt competitive, so hence Biology. I was told it would best for a back up as i would still be put though the same system for a place on the OT degree.

And i would rather stay within Derby i can mix up from different modules to suit my degree and future career. Sorry i didnt put it before only just remembered i cant remember how many but theres a fair few apprently
Reply 90
I'm thinking of ringing up the places I applied to in order to check they received my application ok. Is this pushy, and do you think i will go against me?
It shouldnt go againest you, does it say after x numbers only accepted canidates will be contacted or something along those lines. How long is it since the application?
i'm going to ring up on mon morn but to the central agency - not my individual labs
Reply 93
It says only applicants sucessful for interview will be contacted. I'll contact Northgate then instead of the actualy trainingposts. Not exactly sure what I'm gonna say, really just want to check the applications were sent ok!
Reply 94
Hey, hows it going people!
I've been following this thread for a while now mainly as a source of info on the whole recruitment process. I'm in my 4th year of an undergrad masters degree in Biomedical science and I've spent a year in a micro lab as a trainee biomedical scientist (not that anyone cares). I've been interested in the career/profession for a while now however I filled out my application at literally the last min as I only found out about the available posts with like a day left to apply, hence my application is pretty naff, especially considering I had no idea what was expect in the additional info bit. Anyway I just thought I'd post something up and say hi. I was also wandering if any of you guys are fellow applicants for the Micro posts (i.e. the enemy)?
mistryb lol - the enemy, I feel the same but no micro for me!
no angel - just ask about confirmation as we were told we would get some!
i contacted them too - i was told that I should have gotten confirmation, whether it be a phone call or a letter. Have all you guys recieved/made a call or a letter?
Reply 97
I emailed the labs directly and have received confirmation from 3 out of 4 of them that my application has made through the initial screening process and is on their lists to be assessed for shortlisting. One of the guys said the response has been "tremendous" and that coming up with a short list should take about 3 weeks.
Reply 98
mistryb
I emailed the labs directly and have received confirmation from 3 out of 4 of them that my application has made through the initial screening process and is on their lists to be assessed for shortlisting. One of the guys said the response has been "tremendous" and that coming up with a short list should take about 3 weeks.

I'd like to do this without sounding pushy or anything. Have you any suggestions for how to word an email that's just asking whether they received my application and maybe when if successful for interview i can expect to hear? If you know what i mean!!
Reply 99
Oh, this is so stressful :frown: .

I received email confirmations from Northgate about all 4 of my applications, so I think I'll just trust that they have passed them on. I've already sent hard copies direct to the labs (which is what the association of clinical biochemists recommended), so I don't want to email them as well.

This is my first choice job, but it seems such a long shot at the moment :frown: .

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending