The Student Room Group

England under Slothgate

Spelling intended

With a great generation of players it is de-motivating to see Hungary dictating a slow pace again.

The Italy game was also turgid by us.

Germany schooled us, we fluked am equaliser.
England are playing ?! I had no idea! Never had time to watch them really apart from major tournaments.

I don’t know why people keep skating Southgate. He has taken England to a World Cup semi final, a Euro final, and a Nations League final. He has been the most successful English manager since 1966. This is simple facts.

Stupid armchair fans. No one gives Southgate credit for initially picking Maguire in 2018, not dropping Pickford who was great during the Euros, and playing 5 at the back. All these guys want is to play all our attacking players when balance is important.

Who gives a **** if England get relegated from pot A in the Nations League? It’s good to experiment with players. Other top nations aren’t getting great results too, France lost to Croatia did they not a few days ago ?
Reply 2
Remember the genius decision of Gareth to bring in Saka n Rashford in the final to take the penalties without touching the ball the whole game.

Why put such pressure on a young lad like Saka.

It doesn’t really matter …Gareth is useless 'n even if he went to the finals n semi finals with the Sweet Caroline song it was due to England playing very easy teams all the way & thanks to the great penalty taker Kane they managed to go for the final n still lost by penalties. Great achievement that. The team were disappointed last Summer, they knew the talent we have, as do the fans . . .just lack the organisation and vision that comes from the training ground, the killer instinct, the Klop / Pep factor.

England are going nowhere in the World Cup with Gareth.
They’re like Spurs… they always blow it when it matters… in fact Spurs have more chance now with Conte.

If we get to the Semis in Qatar all will be forgiven. If we win I will actually admit I was wrong!
(edited 1 year ago)
Reply 3
Losing 4-0 to Hungary.. at home

Jesus christ

Worst home defeat since 1928?

See a lot of British people actually celebrating this.. tired of the knee stuff?
Reply 4
Apparently it was all a cunning masterplan to save the best players for November and give the young guys time together.

https://youtu.be/1CMqH_Sh3D8
Southgate knows more than half of his squad for the WC. There are no more games until the tournament so it makes sense to try out a few fringe players that will make up the remainder of his WC squad.
Reply 6
Maybe he's a "Lieutenant Colombo" beneath the slow exterior he's actually one step ahead . . .
Original post by NJA
Spelling intended

With a great generation of players it is de-motivating to see Hungary dictating a slow pace again.

The Italy game was also turgid by us.

Germany schooled us, we fluked am equaliser.

Feel your annoyance. England's squad has good players to play an offensive football, but instead Southgate plays a counter-attack football to take an advantage by the opponents mistakes. That is so dull to watch as spectator.
Original post by Kallisto
Feel your annoyance. England's squad has good players to play an offensive football, but instead Southgate plays a counter-attack football to take an advantage by the opponents mistakes. That is so dull to watch as spectator.

Good point, it reminds me of when I was racing amateurs last summer who think they can drive but can’t. I would have made the University racing team for sure I can’t lie but things change unfortunately.

This counter attacking football has led England to a semi final and final though. We can’t play attacking football if we don’t have the pace of the centre backs to cope. Liverpool and Man City can because Van Dijk, Konate, Matip, Dias etc have pace and they have sweeper goalkeepers to cover the space.

England don’t have the quality at centre back to do it. They also don’t have a world class holding midfielder like Fabinho or Rodri to control the game. Declan Rice is decent but he is overrated massively.

It reminds me when England fans were calling for Kane and Sterling to be dropped. They said Sterling should be dropped for Sancho or Grealish and I’m pretty sure Sterling ended up being the top scorer in the Euro tournament.
Original post by Driving_Mad
x

What is about Bellingham? he has an extraordinary pace and tendencies to play forward, a precious player for England, if you ask me.
how do I send dis

Quick Reply

Latest