The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 2040
The West Wing
I'm doing "What is anomie and what are its consequences", but I'm finding it hard to see how you can make this into a 2000 word essay? I must be missing something but I don't see a logical structure.

Have you read my essay on it? I think I emailed it. *goes off to find a link* :creep: brb
Craghyrax
Have you read my essay on it? I think I emailed it. *goes off to find a link* :creep: brb

I just remembered you did one. Thanks a lot, it's really truly very helpful :smile:
Reply 2042
I'm JCSU Access and Funding Officer! :biggrin:
Congrats!
Reply 2044
The West Wing
I just remembered you did one. Thanks a lot, it's really truly very helpful :smile:

I think I probably included some quotations in that essay from the Division of Labour in Society, which I actually read most of :hmpf:
Essentially everything he says in that book (eg organic solidarity) is necessary to explain anomie. However I wouldn't recommend reading the book because it took and will take ages. Does your library stock any good handbooks to sociology? Many of these will provide good overviews, and the actual table of contents of Durkheim's work would help you to narrow down where to go if you needed more specific detail. Make use of wikipedia too. And at some point the Stanford Encyclopaedia of Philosophy will come in useful, even if not for Durkheim, as might Routledge Encyclopaedia of Philosophy

I could meet up with you if you want this week?
EDIT: I forgot to mention. If you do read Durkheim, particularly Division of labour, bear in mind that all the way through he illustrates each point with a biological metaphor before describing it conceptually..so if you're in a rush just skip past the biology and zoom in on the actual theory. Durkheim's use of biological metaphor is a pretty major influence of functionalism, particularly within social anthropology, but you don't need to worry about it for an anomie essay.
Reply 2045
emilY?
I'm JCSU Access and Funding Officer! :biggrin:

:five:
Reply 2046
Ta for the congrats!

Although I chipped my tooth on a champagne bottle in the "boat race"!
Reply 2047
Oh no! Have you been to the University dental practice yet? It must really hurt! Does it look awful?
Reply 2048
Craghyrax
Oh no! Have you been to the University dental practice yet? It must really hurt! Does it look awful?

Haha no its fine, its only a little bit off the corner! :smile:

Fear not, its just a little sharp!
Reply 2049
Oh good. Sounds horrid though, nonetheless
Reply 2050
emilY?
Haha no its fine, its only a little bit off the corner! :smile:

Fear not, its just a little sharp!

I believe you all went to 55JL? Hope you didn't keep them up too late :p:
Congratulations Emily :biggrin:

Chess Piece Face
Hehe, I went to the Union voluntarily! :p: It was a really good debate though, about whether the war on terror had become an assault on British liberties. Shami Chakrabarti was speaking... all good fun. There were quite a few fellow TSRers there as well!

Then I went to Kambar to go to the National Rail Disco... Clare's very own Staircase Band were playing but there were also string quartets playing Stravinsky and opera singers doing songs from Carmen! In fact, it was kind of a Clare invasion... It was really good. I really like Kambar.

Sorry I didn't make it tonight, ukebert. I'll go next week though :biggrin:

You'd better :hmmm: There is one next week, I checked. We'll probably try and have a meal or something as a band beforehand.

Did you get that email about Newnham Folk Night?

So much for getting an early night :frown: I made the mistake of picking up a Pratchett, got to sleep at 4am :yawn: And I have 4 hours of technical drawing today :cry:
Reply 2052
brimstone
What talk was it?

Gerard Prunier: he's written loads on Rwanda which I studied last year. So gutted at missing it.
Reply 2053
Apagg
I believe you all went to 55JL? Hope you didn't keep them up too late :p:

Haha yes! Nah, wasn't too late at all, quite a few of us were already sleep deprived from Cindies the other day, so weren't up for too much of a masssssive night!:p:
Reply 2054
Just to clarify a little bit on the working an hour thing, it's a just a case of how my productivity works. I never found that working more than a few hours ever worked for me because I just lost all concentration. The hour or two that I put in every day were very well used and didn't include supervisions or lectures. Oh and it doesn't include the three hours of essay writing I did on the day before handing in. Also, I worked a LOT around exam time, so I think I kind of made up for it during that time. Of course, there is always more to read in Philosophy and I do regret not reading more and doing better as a result.

But I came out a few marks away from a first at the end of it all, having studied a comfortable amount, slept well, eaten well and having had what was probably the best time of my life. :biggrin:
groovy_moose
That is indeed the case, but *most* meals are not vegetarian... and therefore there's no reason that i can't say that *most* meals consist of meat plus veg or some sort... (or ric/pasta, but that's not the point)

Ah, that would make sense. *facepalm*
We were told that we didn't have to go to the afternoon drawing lecture :biggrin:

*so happy* :o:
Reply 2057
Argh!
I'm trying to work out what to do. At the beginning of the week I emailed my course director about my project, and he gave me three email addresses of supervisors to approach. So one of them was a PhD student and declined, one of them has an out-of-office automated email reply saying she won't be available till the second. She's the expert in my area, really, and she lectured us this term, but she's very scary so I'm scared of ignoring the message. I'm also scared of asking her to supervise me because she'll do what she did when I first contacted her which is to demand to know every detail of the plan.. where actually that's kind of what I need a supervisor to brainstorm with for... and then the third guy hasn't replied yet. I really want to sort this out before Christmas. The course director said he would supervise me if noone else does - should I just email him today and ask him to do that or should I wait for the 2cnd and try the scary woman again?

:confused:
How keen are you on tthe third guy?
Reply 2059
ukebert
How keen are you on tthe third guy?

The third one who hasn't replied yet? Or the course director? I'm very keen on the course director, who is a backstop. The third guy I have no idea because he will only start lecturing us next term and I haven't met him yet - where the other two have already lectured me.

Latest

Trending

Trending