The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Vesicle
ahhh. they're testing out the sound for the fitz winterball....and I have a rowing race tomorrow. I am not impressed. But omg so exceited!! The music sounds great, and there's like cool lighting outside, but I still have so much timetabled stuff to power through, plus two supervisions and a DoS meeting which I will probably show up to sleep deprived and hung over. This was not what I imagined Cambridge to be like.

Only just noticed your sig - yay Chomsky. Syntactic Structures was such a revolutionary book, whatever you think of the generative school.
28hrs till the Snowball :biggrin:
Ooh, and does anyone know what time the back gate at Kings is locked?
Tom
:ditto: I never borrowed a book over holidays at all. Holidays are holidays! Apart from when I was working on dissertation, but it's not like my college library had resources to borrow for that anyways.

;no;

Holidays are "vacations", i.e. you do the same amount of work, even though you've vacated Cambridge! :wink:
I had no problems with vac borrowing - went to Sidney library at 1ish (although, to be fair, borrowing for non-finalists did start at 1!) and got the book I wanted - I was surprised how empty the library was actually. And then went to the Seeley just after, and got the books I wanted there too with no problems. Maybe I was just lucky? :p:
Reply 2525
brimstone

Fairly early, I think.

I've been told Clare is always open/closes very late, though.
Reply 2526
brimstone

7pm, although it's sometimes open a bit later :smile:

and having read scipio's post I'm pretty sure Clare shuts at 12 :smile:
Reply 2527
Has anyone heard from Craggy? Has her essay gone ok?
Reply 2528
I'm still alive :eek:

Haven't slept though :stickyman:

Edit: thanks minimo - its ok, I think, although naturally there were a few things I wanted to tweak that I didn't have time for in the end :frown:
Reply 2529
Craghyrax

Edit: thanks minimo - its ok, I think, although naturally there were a few things I wanted to tweak that I didn't have time for in the end :frown:

get to bed!
Reply 2530
I've got a party that I don't really want to go to but have to at 6:30 :frown: I'll get 20mins before then though!
The West Wing
8.30 - massive queue outside library
8.35- they let us in. we run in. people start screaming and fighting and grabbing things off shelves
8.50 - queue of about 20 people at each borrowing station

General frenzy, panic, hilarity at how much people care about getting vac books.

See I don't understand why people don't simply write down the classmarks of books they want to borrow before the big day. Then when they arrive they can skip the catalogue stations and go straight to the shelves :^^: Last year I printed out a reading list which was colour coded according to priority and had columns with relevant classmarks at either college or SPS library.
The West Wing

P.S. I've taken out 16 heavy books and I plan to read all of them. You can check up on me over Vac to see how it's going.

I took out 20 last Christmas holiday, and carried 17 to SA in a suitcase :shifty: You won't get through all of them :p: But good effort!
brimstone
In terms of alcohol consumption, today I have a cheese&wine party with Alan McFarlane (you going to that, West Wing?) then drinks straight after with my tutor. At my last tutor party, I got so drunk. His punch is legendary. :eek:

Argh I'm so envious! He's such a legend. I missed all of the end of term stuff he had last year due to bad timings.
FadetoBlackout
;no;

Holidays are "vacations", i.e. you do the same amount of work, even though you've vacated Cambridge!

:ditto:, but you need to get with TSR times and sort your smiley code out :p:
Reply 2531
yeh, I always print out classmarks too. I also take out a similar amount :cry:
Craghyrax
I've got a party that I don't really want to go to but have to at 6:30 :frown: I'll get 20mins before then though!

See I don't understand why people don't simply write down the classmarks of books they want to borrow before the big day. Then when they arrive they can skip the catalogue stations and go straight to the shelves :^^: Last year I printed out a reading list which was colour coded according to priority and had columns with relevant classmarks at either college or SPS library.

I took out 20 last Christmas holiday, and carried 17 to SA in a suitcase :shifty: You won't get through all of them :p: But good effort!

I made a list of classmarks 4 days ago, so did everyone else. Many people located where the books were too and ran directly too them when the library opened :p:
Craghyrax

Glad to hear that you are still with us :p:
Reply 2534
The West Wing
I made a list of classmarks 4 days ago, so did everyone else. Many people located where the books were too and ran directly too them when the library opened :p:

So what's this 'borrowing station' thing, then? I assumed you were talking about the terminals in the SPS library where you find the classmark, having not yet twigged you were referring to Clare :rolleyes:
Well, I just did vacation borrowing: I wander into the library at around 5pm, go to the shelves, choose 6 books, check them out without any queues whatsover. It's good to have competition with one other person when getting books. :wink:

It might be somewhat more difficult at the MML library and English Faculty library, both of which I intend to take on tomorrow.
Reply 2536
Yeh I have the same with being the only Sociologist in Peterhouse :smile:

However, I'm here over Christmas, so don't need to worry about borrowing books. I'll be annoyed if nothing I need is left behind on the shelves, but I have the UL.
FadeToBlackout
;no;

Holidays are "vacations", i.e. you do the same amount of work, even though you've vacated Cambridge! :wink:

fail! re smilies!

what's up dudes? anything still going ahead on Friday? I'll come if it coincides with lunch :smile:
Reply 2538
No idea.
Well I am going to the Waffle house around 1300 (?). Anyone else is welcome to come :smile: When is your lunch break Amy?

Latest

Trending

Trending