The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 9260
Is a plastic mixing bowl likely to be microwaveable?
Reply 9261
Scipio90
Is a plastic mixing bowl likely to be microwaveable?

:yep:
Reply 9262
Yay. Another question: will it come out hot? (yeah, I realise that's probably a stupid question, but we haven't had one at home for about 10 years)
Scipio90
Yay. Another question: will it come out hot? (yeah, I realise that's probably a stupid question, but we haven't had one at home for about 10 years)

Arne't you a natsci? :hmmm:
Reply 9264
Yes, it will come out hot :tongue:
generalebriety
If you're thinking of learning some serious amounts of Russian, you're not gonna get far at a summer school. Maybe you should consider the Russian Certificate through the MML faculty, which will get you up to A-level in a year - which, if I'm honest, isn't a whole lot of Russian if you're hoping to read academic texts, but is at least a decent start.

I'm supposedly at about A level standard now, and it's definitely nowhere near good enough to read academic texts. Not that they aren't trying to make us stretch ourselves, but seriously, it takes hours and hours and lots of dictionary usage to make sense of a few pages of text. I can just about read my copy of Гарри Поттер и Философский Камень (Harry (well actually Garry) Potter and the Philosopher's Stone) but that's probably because I know the text so well anyway.
Zoedotdot
I'm supposedly at about A level standard now, and it's definitely nowhere near good enough to read academic texts. Not that they aren't trying to make us stretch ourselves, but seriously, it takes hours and hours and lots of dictionary usage to make sense of a few pages of text. I can just about read my copy of Гарри Поттер и Философский Камень (Harry (well actually Garry) Potter and the Philosopher's Stone) but that's probably because I know the text so well anyway.

Hooray, I can read that Cyrillic. (I think.) Yes, A-level really is nothing, and you don't realise it until you actually try academic texts. I'm worried that even the most intensive summer school would only really take you to GCSEish...

I'm just about at the stage where I can read non-complicated academic texts in German without too much problem, and complicated ones with massive dictionary usage.

Edit: "without too much problem". What an odd phrase. Still, sounds right to me, so it stays.
smilepea
I remember very very little from last night :s-smilie:

Were you in Revs last night?
brimstone
I have decided that my aim in my time at Cambridge is to get a mention in Varsity. I don't know how, but I will. :haughty:

Just do something really stupid, really publicly. :tongue:

generalebriety
Good moooooooooooooood. Ach, it's kinda sad that my good moods come so rarely that I feel the need to publicise them. But I don't care, because I'm in a good mood.

That's nice to know. :yep: I'm struggling with my work but am strangely quite happy as well. :smile:

smilepea
I remember very very little from last night :s-smilie:

At least you survived. :wink: No doubt there will be some photographic evidence to remind you. :yes:

PS:
Does anyone know any decent fast food places in Cambridge town centre? I missed lunch and am not sure if I want to go to McDonald's again.

Also, do any economists know of a decent resource (textbook or otherwise) which explains how to find all mixed (and pure) strategies Nash equilibria in 2-player 3 by 3 strategic form games?
generalebriety
Hooray, I can read that Cyrillic. (I think.) Yes, A-level really is nothing, and you don't realise it until you actually try academic texts. I'm worried that even the most intensive summer school would only really take you to GCSEish...

I'm just about at the stage where I can read non-complicated academic texts in German without too much problem, and complicated ones with massive dictionary usage.

Edit: "without too much problem". What an odd phrase. Still, sounds right to me, so it stays.

Well, to transliterate - Garry Potter i Filosofskii Kamyen (with a soft sign, I don't think there is a way of transliterating that...). I think Spanish A level gets you to a higher standard, although when I think about the length of time it used to take me to read Spanish literature and the fact that I managed to read a book from 1900ish without a dictionary in a day last week, and the week before one from 1600ish with very minimal dictionary usage, it's amazing how much I've improved and I do wonder if my idea of how good I was after A level is skewed.

I love my degree :biggrin:
The soft sign is usually transliterated with an apostrophe, and the hard sign with two. (Also, y is usually used for ы.)

Query: Why not Харри Поттер?
Zhen Lin
The soft sign is usually transliterated with an apostrophe, and the hard sign with two. (Also, y is usually used for ы.)

Query: Why not Харри Поттер?

Mmm yes, that should have been Garri Potter. And I did know that about the apostrophe, silly me.

I'm not sure why not. My teacher said that h's tend to become g's in Russian, it's a kind of convention, but I would say that that X sound is closer to an H. Meep, don't know :s-smilie:
Reply 9272
Our fire alarms just went off again. I could hear them set off from across the court and spread to my staircase, which wasn't a good thing for them to do. I was so worked up about our crap course that I would have dismantled mine if it had gone off. Luckily - mine appears to be broken already!

I should get it fixed soon, but not 'till they stop with the random useless disruptions to my reverie ¬.¬
Reply 9273
A certain Committee of a certain Ball are seriously annoying me right now.
Reply 9274
Argh! This essay is the most boring thing I've done since first year! I've just spent an excruciating 2hours reading more of the aforementioned 'The Multinational Firm' :shot: And I have zero optimism of the remaining 8 texts being any better.
ukey
A certain Committee of a certain Ball are seriously annoying me right now.

:ditto:

They're not getting any money off of me because their stupid tickets person doesn't reply to emails. Intelligent.

Hmm..

I am tired. I am never all-nightering again, no matter how important Pushkin seems to me at the time. He was so not worth it :frown:
Craghyrax
Argh! This essay is the most boring thing I've done since first year! I've just spent an excruciating 2hours reading more of the aforementioned 'The Multinational Firm' :shot: And I have zero optimism of the remaining 8 texts being any better.

:hugs: :console: I totally know the feeling. I've just finished an essay. It's very very very rushed and it's the worst essay I've written since I've been here. I didn't really bother to plan it, just writing what came to my head, and I don't even think what I wrote is right or has any relevance to the question. Stupid modernity and invidualism :mad: :mad: I'm dreading the supervision on Monday,

But now, I'm forgetting about work till Sunday and am off to London to see Stu for Valentine's Day :smile: :biggrin:
does anyone have KTs number? i really need it and she accidently typed it wrong for me and now the text wont send so ive made up a few numbers (by changing it slightly) but dont know if any of them are actually hers, so if someone could PM me her actual number that'd be great
brimstone
I have decided that my aim in my time at Cambridge is to get a mention in Varsity. I don't know how, but I will. :haughty:

In other news, I have not yet started my essay that needs to be written by 5.

This was one of my aims too! I haven't managed it yet but was in yesterday's TCS so I guess that will have to do!

I'm sending my diss supervisor a draft a week today. Oh dear.
Reply 9279
Craghyrax

:ditto:

They're not getting any money off of me because their stupid tickets person doesn't reply to emails. Intelligent.

Hmm..

Heh, not that committee. They haven't answered my email yet, which, whilst being annoying at least means that they aren't making annoying demands.

Latest

Trending

Trending