The Student Room Group

Should I go for quality or quantity in my A levels

Hello,
I just finished my gcse and I don't know whether I should take 3 or 4 Alevel Subjects. Also the uni that I want to apply for requires 3 alevel as a minimal, so should I take bare minimum which is 3 subjects or take more subjects.
A Levels are hard enough as it is, there's no need to take on 4 A Levels. Stick with the 3 and you'll thank yourself later :smile:
You only need to take 3 subjects; taking 4 doesn't give you an advantage (unless you're deciding between multiple courses which require particular subjects - for example, if you were considering medicine and engineering it would make sense to take bio, chem, physics and maths). Definitely don't go for quantity over quality
(edited 1 year ago)
Original post by Titanium_disco
Hello,
I just finished my gcse and I don't know whether I should take 3 or 4 Alevel Subjects. Also the uni that I want to apply for requires 3 alevel as a minimal, so should I take bare minimum which is 3 subjects or take more subjects.

take 4 a levels if you want to, but it shouldnt make any difference in terms of your application. id actually advise against it since all a levels are tough and you'd be better of doing 3 and doing well at all of them instead of struggling to manage 4 and getting good grades. what subjects are you planning on doing btw?
There's literally no advantage, to be honest. Save yourself time and effort and have a social life instead.
As above, no UK Uni requires more that 3 A levels - and taking 4 does not get you any extra credit, so its essentially pointless.
The only exception is taking Maths and FM if you are aiming at a maths-heavy STEM degree or Economics, otherise pick just 3 subjects.
Remember, AAA will always look better than ABBB - and those grades could cost you a Uni place. it simply isnt worth the risk.

Quick Reply

Latest