The Student Room Group

Self studying an a level while doing other subjects at sixth form

Basically what title says. I will be completing the exams at an exam centre but I didn’t put the a level in ucas application so can i put it in clearing to help get the offers I want
(edited 3 months ago)
You need to enter it now.

Have you applied to unis in the main application cycle?
Original post by Admit-One
You need to enter it now.

Have you applied to unis in the main application cycle?

I sent the application to my school but they haven’t sent it off to ucas yet . But my school don’t know I’m self studying an a level and I haven’t made booked with a exam centre yet because it’s a bit expensive. But i think I will In about a month. I’m worried my school won’t take me seriously and let me add a self study a level
(edited 3 months ago)
I was wondering how am I going to put on my ucas that I’m self studying an a level when I haven’t booked the exam centre yet because it’s expensive but I will in about a month. Can I still put the exam centre name down . And btw my sixth form doesn’t know I’m self studying an a level will this cause issues. And I know about how I can’t receive prediction for that a level but it’s fine because I’m thinking of going through clearing for better uni options after I receive all my results this summer
Original post by Collystudent2021
I was wondering how am I going to put on my ucas that I’m self studying an a level when I haven’t booked the exam centre yet because it’s expensive but I will in about a month. Can I still put the exam centre name down . And btw my sixth form doesn’t know I’m self studying an a level will this cause issues. And I know about how I can’t receive prediction for that a level but it’s fine because I’m thinking of going through clearing for better uni options after I receive all my results this summer

You can leave the exam centre number blank. It's for matching exam results on A level results day - so it's not needed until then.

Once you know it, use this form to inform UCAS of the centre number - they will update your application. (Or you can call them if you prefer.)

I can't see why you taking an additional qualification externally would be an issue for your existing school.

Note: Given that you haven't booked this yet, there's a risk that you don't actually book it for some reason. That would mean you'd have told UCAS (and hence universities) that you'll be taking a qualification that you then don't take. That might look like you were trying to mislead them. So do make sure you actually go through with the qualification if you add it to your UCAS application.
Why are you taking an additional subject. It will be putting your other grades at risk. The advice is not to take more than 3 A levels. Universities want quality not quantity. Concentrate on getting 3 really high grades, That is most likely to get you into a university.

As far as clearing the top universities dont use it and for universities just below that they wont use it for all subjects. This is something you need to think hard about but concentrating on 3 subjects is the best way of achieving your aims especially given that you are looking to achieve better grades for clearing.
Original post by swanseajack1
Why are you taking an additional subject. It will be putting your other grades at risk. The advice is not to take more than 3 A levels. Universities want quality not quantity. Concentrate on getting 3 really high grades, That is most likely to get you into a university.

As far as clearing the top universities dont use it and for universities just below that they wont use it for all subjects. This is something you need to think hard about but concentrating on 3 subjects is the best way of achieving your aims especially given that you are looking to achieve better grades for clearing.

Bit harsh? There could be very good reasons, plus why attack the OP about something they didn't even raise as an issue??
Original post by SilverPebble
Bit harsh? There could be very good reasons, plus why attack the OP about something they didn't even raise as an issue??

The reality is that there are many who try to take additional subjects and end up missing their first choice university because they miss their grades. There is a thread on here yesterday where someone took 5 A levels and ended up with low grades. Even is someone is particularly able 4 A levels doesnt make sense. It is about taking the maximum chance of achieving the highest grades and taking 3 A levels is what helps achieve that. Universities look for quality not quantity. That is a fact. All universities make offers on 3 subjects and if they offer say AAA you will get in with that. If you get AABB you probably wont.

It is clear that OP is applying through clearing to improve their grades. That said they are clearly not the creme de la creme and need to concentrate on achieving their aim.

As far as clearing is concerned every year Oxford, Cambridge, LSE. UCL.
Imperial and some others dont enter clearing. Last year Kings had 10 subjects in clearing so your chances of getting in through clearing are very slim. This was advice aimed at ensuring OP is fully aware of the situation.

You might consider it harsh but this is the real world and trying to help OP is far more important than trying to be nice and misleading someone.

A couple of years ago I was speaking to a Maths student at Swansea. She was there as she had missed her grades for Exeter. Her school had her doing 4 A levels and the Welsh Bac. She said the time spent on the Welsh Bac had caused her to miss the grades for Exeter. That alone should tell you that the risk of taking an extra subject just isnt worth it.
The reality is that there are many who try to take additional subjects and end up missing their first choice university because they miss their grades. There is a thread on here yesterday where someone took 5 A levels and ended up with low grades. Even is someone is particularly able 4 A levels doesnt make sense. It is about taking the maximum chance of achieving the highest grades and taking 3 A levels is what helps achieve that. Universities look for quality not quantity. That is a fact. All universities make offers on 3 subjects and if they offer say AAA you will get in with that. If you get AABB you probably wont.

It is clear that OP is applying through clearing to improve their grades. That said they are clearly not the creme de la creme and need to concentrate on achieving their aim.

Imperial and some others dont enter clearing. Last year Kings had 10 subjects in clearing so your chances of getting in through clearing are very slim. This was advice aimed at ensuring OP is fully aware of the situation.

You might consider it harsh but this is the real world and trying to help OP is far more important than trying to be nice and misleading someone.

A couple of years ago I was speaking to a Maths student at Swansea. She was there as she had missed her grades for Exeter. Her school had her doing 4 A levels and the Welsh Bac. She said the time spent on the Welsh Bac had caused her to miss the grades for Exeter. That alone should tell you that the risk of taking an extra subject just isnt worth it.

University Clearing courses available 2023
University of Edinburgh19 courses available including nursing studies
King’s College London15 courses available including artificial intelligence
University of Glasgow20 courses available including environmental science and sustainability
University of Warwick52 courses available including chemistry, French studies and sociology
University of Leeds13 courses available including audiology
University of Exeter2 courses available including philosophy and politics

It was the tone that I thought was harsh - I could imagine the OP feeling attacked for their choice, rather than challenged to think deeper, that's all. Especially, as I noted, when they hadn't even asked for anyone's opinion on the number of A Levels they're doing. Anyway, if the goal is to get into Uni, then on the whole I agree it's better to concentrate on 3 A Levels only. However, there are times when schools just don't offer the subject you want, like say Latin or Greek when you want to do Classics, or the combinations just don't work like doing Music with Physics and Maths. Many personal reasons why someone might be doing 4 A Levels. But yh, it was the harsh tone I found surprising.
Original post by DataVenia
You can leave the exam centre number blank. It's for matching exam results on A level results day - so it's not needed until then.

Once you know it, use this form to inform UCAS of the centre number - they will update your application. (Or you can call them if you prefer.)

I can't see why you taking an additional qualification externally would be an issue for your existing school.

Note: Given that you haven't booked this yet, there's a risk that you don't actually book it for some reason. That would mean you'd have told UCAS (and hence universities) that you'll be taking a qualification that you then don't take. That might look like you were trying to mislead them. So do make sure you actually go through with the qualification if you add it to your UCAS application.

That’s a good point and thank you for the link. I’m not 100% sure if I will book the exam . So I dont think I will add the a level im self studying in my ucas application.But if I do book the exams can I use that link you have sent me and add the a level. Do I do this on a level results day ? And in clearing would universities acknowledge my added a level or is it best if i just add the a level now in my Ucas application even though I haven’t booked it yet
(edited 3 months ago)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending