The Student Room Group

BSc and MSc, BEng and MEng and Chartered Engineer status (across multiple countries)

Hi.

I am interested in studying engineering (specifically aerospace engineering (even more specifically, spacecrafts and astronautics)) but I don't understand the structures of the degrees and how the degree titles differ.

My questions (please assume all of them to be in the context of an Engineering course):
1. What combination of undergrad and postgrad degrees should I take in order to be recognised as both a holder of a master's degree and a as chartered engineer worldwide (e.g. in the US, would I be seen as both a master's holder and chartered engineer if I do a MEng course?)

2. Does the combination of course types (e.g. MEng and MSc or BEng and MSc) change how valuable my degree is?

3. What effect does taking a year abroad have on the answers to the above questions (in terms of recognition; would I still be recognised as a chartered engineer and would I be recognised as studying for a master's degree even if I'm doing a MEng course if I take a year abroad? If not, what course would I be transferred to/what would its equivalent be?)

4. What is the difference between BSc and BEng, MSc and MEng?

Thanks, I really appreciate it :smile:. Do not yet know what I want. I am currently aiming to work in a space agency outside the UK, and want to know the best combination of degrees/degree types to take for this.
1. To be chartered you need to attain a Master's degree or demonstrate Master's level of knowledge. You can go the degree route two ways: get an MEng degree or get a MSc degree after a BEng degree, any degree you get must be accredited by your chartering institution of choice. Once you get the relevant set of degrees, you can usually apply for Chartered status after 4 years of work experience in an accredited workspace.

2. Getting a MSc after a MEng is redundant as they both share a lot of modules, furthermore many good universities do not accept you for a Master's program if you already have Master's degree. In terms of value if you were obtain MEng it would be academically equal to a BEng + MSc combo, they have the same value, however some employers may prefer MSc if you are going into specialized work as the MSc is more about specialization, along with the fact that it is a postgraduate degree (it requires more time in university than a MEng degree).

3. As far as I know taking a year abroad does not affect the value of your degree, it still holds the same academic value, it is just up to employer preference.

4. BEng is usually offered in engineering field only such as civil, electrical, mechanical etc. while BSc is usually in physics, chemistry etc.

I tried my best giving the knowledge I have as I am only in my first year of BEng degree, hope it helps.
Wow, you've waited a long time for an answer.

Quick Reply

Latest