The Student Room Group

I have no idea what job is suitable for me. Ideas?

I just lost my full time job of 2 montrhs at a freight company. Doing the job has made me aware I may have ADHD as I have had difficulty retaining information and have struggled with this a lot, bringing me into conflict with the person who was supposed to be training me. I was given a choice: resign now, or wait to be dismissed following a meeting the next day, so i walked.

Now I'm back on the dole, and I have no idea what to do. I'm an intelligent guy, I have three A levels, one of them An A* in sociology, the others were A in History and A in English Language. I never really wanted to do an office job and given my experience of this one i don't think it is right for me, it's probably the worst kind of job for a person with ADHD. I also am autistic.

I was going to join the police, but would have failed the medical because I'm on antidepressants. I got as far as the medical and then I had a mental health crisis so I pulled out. It's even less likely I'll be successful this time.

I applied to the fire dept before the police and failed on their psychometric tests., And that was one of the few brigades that were hiring, most seem to have put their recruitment on hold for years. I was at uni for about a month and left due to illness, but i also struggled with the work and got very easily bored and procrastinated a lot.

Now I have no idea what to do. I've worked in retail before and hated it and walked out of one job after a week. I also made mistakes in the other retail job, and I generally don't like that sort of job. I'm very gifted with words in writing and speaking, and I have looked at apprenticeships for things like the BBC, btu they're so hard to get, especially if you're a straight, white male who comes from a upper working class/lower middle class background. Positive discrimination seems to be the order of the day (I'm guessing this is the case because they asked me questions like were i eligble for FSM, did one of my parents have a degree etc). I'm automatically ineligible for the armed forces because of my Autism and my mental health issues, not that I'd particuarly want to do that anyway. The only kind of job that springs to mind other than the police right now is some kind of pastroal job n a school. I did apply for one the other day and got invited to an interview but I turned it down because right now I think I could benefit from more volunteering at schools etc and when they asked me for the interview I still had a job.

I'm really at a loss, it's getting me down, even if I want to go to uni I've got to wait a year now to start. I seem to struggle with regular employment yet the jobs I would most likely thrive in don't want me because of my medical history.

Things I like/don't like
1) I take a holistic approach. I don't like small details and tend to struggle on this
2) I like a job that has variety and doesn't involve doing the same thing day in, day out
3) I like a job where I can use my skills (such as writing)
4) I like a job where I can go to different places, and not just stay at a desk all day
5) My organisational skills (currently) are pretty poor, it's very difficult to be honest about this because almost every job says you have to have good organisational skills, but if you have ADHD you naturally willl struggle with this. Same with "teamwork" - autistic people would struggle with this.
(edited 1 year ago)
This is a really interesting post and you have so many skills it just appears haven't found the right job for you yet. From my personal situation I had several different types of job after uni and was getting to a point where I thought that I would not be able to work without feeling completely stressed. But it was through these experiences and finding a supportive workplace who looked at my differences in ways of thinking as a benefit rather than a hinderance I was able to progress into a role where I feel secure as it finally matches my skills.

I would recommend starting out with a trainee position first, but I do think university should be a consideration especially given your skills in writing and speaking. What courses have you been considering, i.e what do you want to do, Not what do you think you should do? Private message me if you feel better chatting over that method.
Original post by alice456
This is a really interesting post and you have so many skills it just appears haven't found the right job for you yet. From my personal situation I had several different types of job after uni and was getting to a point where I thought that I would not be able to work without feeling completely stressed. But it was through these experiences and finding a supportive workplace who looked at my differences in ways of thinking as a benefit rather than a hinderance I was able to progress into a role where I feel secure as it finally matches my skills.

I would recommend starting out with a trainee position first, but I do think university should be a consideration especially given your skills in writing and speaking. What courses have you been considering, i.e what do you want to do, Not what do you think you should do? Private message me if you feel better chatting over that method.

When I went to university I chose to do politics and international relations but it wasn't for me and I'm not sure if uni is suited for me. I don't think I have the ability to be able to self manage my studying etc like staying on track, I procrastinate loads and I don't like having to read loads of non fiction especially theories and things like that. My tutor was actually autistic himself and told me autistic people would struggle with that particular course.

I'd like a job in which I can help people. I'm quite empathetic but I'm also someone who likes to come up with ideas to solve things. Unfortunately from what I have seen so far, most jobs just expect you to do things like fill in forms , look at data and re enter it, at least that's what my last job was, that doesn't inspire me in the slightest and doesn't stimulate me.

I don't really have an idea of a career tbh. And I don't necessarily think nowadays it's a realistic or even desirable goal to do the same job for your entire life.

I guess right now I'm completely lost, I was like this before I lost my job but I had something then to occupy most of my day with.
Original post by Ferrograd
I just lost my full time job of 2 montrhs at a freight company. Doing the job has made me aware I may have ADHD as I have had difficulty retaining information and have struggled with this a lot, bringing me into conflict with the person who was supposed to be training me. I was given a choice: resign now, or wait to be dismissed following a meeting the next day, so i walked.

Now I'm back on the dole, and I have no idea what to do. I'm an intelligent guy, I have three A levels, one of them An A* in sociology, the others were A in History and A in English Language. I never really wanted to do an office job and given my experience of this one i don't think it is right for me, it's probably the worst kind of job for a person with ADHD. I also am autistic.

I was going to join the police, but would have failed the medical because I'm on antidepressants. I got as far as the medical and then I had a mental health crisis so I pulled out. It's even less likely I'll be successful this time.

I applied to the fire dept before the police and failed on their psychometric tests., And that was one of the few brigades that were hiring, most seem to have put their recruitment on hold for years. I was at uni for about a month and left due to illness, but i also struggled with the work and got very easily bored and procrastinated a lot.

Now I have no idea what to do. I've worked in retail before and hated it and walked out of one job after a week. I also made mistakes in the other retail job, and I generally don't like that sort of job. I'm very gifted with words in writing and speaking, and I have looked at apprenticeships for things like the BBC, btu they're so hard to get, especially if you're a straight, white male who comes from a upper working class/lower middle class background. Positive discrimination seems to be the order of the day (I'm guessing this is the case because they asked me questions like were i eligble for FSM, did one of my parents have a degree etc). I'm automatically ineligible for the armed forces because of my Autism and my mental health issues, not that I'd particuarly want to do that anyway. The only kind of job that springs to mind other than the police right now is some kind of pastroal job n a school. I did apply for one the other day and got invited to an interview but I turned it down because right now I think I could benefit from more volunteering at schools etc and when they asked me for the interview I still had a job.

I'm really at a loss, it's getting me down, even if I want to go to uni I've got to wait a year now to start. I seem to struggle with regular employment yet the jobs I would most likely thrive in don't want me because of my medical history.

Things I like/don't like
1) I take a holistic approach. I don't like small details and tend to struggle on this
2) I like a job that has variety and doesn't involve doing the same thing day in, day out
3) I like a job where I can use my skills (such as writing)
4) I like a job where I can go to different places, and not just stay at a desk all day
5) My organisational skills (currently) are pretty poor, it's very difficult to be honest about this because almost every job says you have to have good organisational skills, but if you have ADHD you naturally willl struggle with this. Same with "teamwork" - autistic people would struggle with this.

Have u thought of writing a book about autism and adhd? My daughter is 8year old and autistic.

U r really gifted. So pls go ahead about Autism. Becos in this world people don’t understand wat autism is and how people shine and how they struggle. A lot of people around u will try to let u down. Only few people around u will try to help u. I believe u can write books about ADHD and Autsim. It will help everyone to know wat exactly is ADHD and Autism is?

I might be wrong, I just suggest u cud try. Not just about autism and ADHD. Anything u wish to write about.. write an article and do in Instagram.. u can make video of it and post it in YouTube..U are a master in it and u don’t need to do the same thing. Everyday u get to write different things. Give seminar in schools..

To be honest, it will help a lot and lot of people. Becos one in 5 mum would like to know what is ADHD and Autism.

I am sorry if I am wrong.
There are Companies/organisations such as autism plus in Sheffield who specifically support the neuro diverse into work. The neuro diverse have specific difficulties in obtaining employment . As you are autistic you are entitled to a social services assessment at which you can request funding to pay for into work support yoiu may also get PIP. Autism plus will also give in work support with your employer if you get a job which can help with some of the issues that may make it more difficult for those with autism to retain employment.
(edited 1 year ago)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending