The Student Room Group

Moving into halls as a second year.

After a year of commuting I’ve decided to move to uni for second year. I’m going to be staying in halls and my mate at a different uni said I’ll be fine as long as I meet other second years. Most of the people I’ll be staying with will be first years and he found it odd. Is it really a big deal? I didn’t think it was until he brought it up.
Original post by Anonymous
After a year of commuting I’ve decided to move to uni for second year. I’m going to be staying in halls and my mate at a different uni said I’ll be fine as long as I meet other second years. Most of the people I’ll be staying with will be first years and he found it odd. Is it really a big deal? I didn’t think it was until he brought it up.

Hi there,

I wouldn't say it was a big deal! In halls they sometimes put people in second and third year in the same flat anyway (so you might not even be with just first years) :smile:. Even if you are im sure they won't mind - in my first year I was with someone who took a gap year and was slightly older and none of us cared. I am also friends with first years through societies (am in my second year currently). It might be a little odd if you were only friends with first years, but im sure that won't be the case. Enjoy your time in halls!

Best wishes,
Eloise (Lancaster University Student Ambassador)

Hi there,
I did the same thing as I was in halls for two years before getting a house in my third. I wouldn't say its weird, there are students of all ages in halls because they are just a convenient option for a lot of people. When you think about it, you're only one year apart from the first year student and probably the same age as some of them anyway so it shouldn't be a problem. I'm sure they'll come to you for some advice about first year of uni so they'll like having you there! Hope this helps,
-Grace.
To me its a big deal if you're looking to make friends. I'd prefer to make friends with someone in the same year as me, but thats just me. Also in many unis, first year doesn't count towards your grade, so you can be a little less serious. But second year does, so if your first year hall mates want to go out clubbing often and are noisy, it could be a problem for you.
It doesn't matter at all. The whole obsession with only being friends with people in your year dissipates after leaving school.
No it's not a big deal, there will be a range of people in halls, and you don't need people in the same year as you to get along. The only issue may be that some year ones might take uni less seriously than you who is in year two, and a lot of parties get thrown in halls. If that doesn't bother you though, or you enjoy parties, you should be fine :smile:

- Rosie
Original post by Lancaster Student Ambassador
Hi there,

I wouldn't say it was a big deal! In halls they sometimes put people in second and third year in the same flat anyway (so you might not even be with just first years) :smile:. Even if you are im sure they won't mind - in my first year I was with someone who took a gap year and was slightly older and none of us cared. I am also friends with first years through societies (am in my second year currently). It might be a little odd if you were only friends with first years, but im sure that won't be the case. Enjoy your time in halls!

Best wishes,
Eloise (Lancaster University Student Ambassador)

This makes me feel a lot better. Appreciate it! All the best.

Hey,

It’s not a big deal! You will be able to make friends from all sorts of places, plus there is nothing wrong with being friends with first years.

Many second or third years live in halls, so it is not uncommon and you are not the only one.

You will be absolutely fine 😊
Sara

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending