The Student Room Group

Should I pursue law and how to do it

Hey all, I have done a Biochemistry degree and have achieved a 2:2, shouldve been a 2:1 but due to personal circumstances being unable to attend exams and given no mitigation. I subsequently battled with the university for this including doctors notes and was given no leeway. Besides, during my three years I lost my love for science and have always wanted to give law a go. I have looked into my options for a PGDL but these are expensive with the cheapest being open university but is it worth getting a law degree there? Additionally, I know you can do the SQEs, so I am currently looking to become a paralegal for qualifying work experiences and to begin learning Law. However with no previous background and without committing to three years at it, where should I start? I've thought of taking a paralegal course with NALP as these are relatively inexpensive to get something on my CV. I have worked throughout all of university but these petty jobs at bars and in shops dont have any legal experience. Any help is appreciated
Original post by MattUni2000
Hey all, I have done a Biochemistry degree and have achieved a 2:2, shouldve been a 2:1 but due to personal circumstances being unable to attend exams and given no mitigation. I subsequently battled with the university for this including doctors notes and was given no leeway. Besides, during my three years I lost my love for science and have always wanted to give law a go. I have looked into my options for a PGDL but these are expensive with the cheapest being open university but is it worth getting a law degree there? Additionally, I know you can do the SQEs, so I am currently looking to become a paralegal for qualifying work experiences and to begin learning Law. However with no previous background and without committing to three years at it, where should I start? I've thought of taking a paralegal course with NALP as these are relatively inexpensive to get something on my CV. I have worked throughout all of university but these petty jobs at bars and in shops dont have any legal experience. Any help is appreciated

Hiya

Here are some options coming to my mind:

1. Apply for a direct training contract- if you have a specific field of law in mind, research into which firms are best for that (use Chambers Student, Legal Cheek, Bright Network) and apply for a direct training contract. Some of these firms might be willing to fund the GDL or SQE for you so that would take off the financial burden as well. Bright Network also lists internships and some graduate jobs on its website so definitely peek into that. Remember that firms do care about any non-legal work experience you have- from volunteering to being society exec at uni to part-time jobs in bars or somewhere else. You learn various skills from these experiences like problem-solving, commercial understanding, time-management, creativity etc and these are all the skills that firms look for in their future trainees. Don't underestimate any experiences you have- they are what distinguish you from others!

2. Look into CILEx lawyers- https://www.prospects.ac.uk/jobs-and-work-experience/job-sectors/law-sector/how-to-become-a-lawyer

2. Try out some Forage and Springpod work experiences which are free and online- these will give you insight into the different tasks of a solicitor. Imo these don't count as actual work experience because anybody can do them online, but definitely a good starting point. Similarly you can do some MOOCS or online skills courses to add to your CV.

3. Use LinkedIn to find some entry-level legal work experience. You can also approach local firms in your area and drop a CV and cover letter to enquire about available positions or internships.

4. Seek support from your uni's careers advice as most unis offer their services to graduates as well. The professionals there would have more knowledge and can assess your situation to help you find opportunities and assist in applications. They would also have a job board where they post available opportunities.

Hope this helps!

-Himieka

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending