The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

~~hannah~~
There are definitely almost no fat people at Oxford. I don't think it's because of the selection process though but perhaps that they are less likely to apply as they might have lower self esteem so not feel confident enough to apply. Also the brain is the organ that burns the most calories so perhaps highly intelligent people are less likely to be fat?

Nope this isn't right. I always thought that too but apparently your brain burns no more calories studying/reading than you do just watching TV :s-smilie:
Reply 41
I'm at Cambridge too and it's truly shocking how few overweight people there are here. Very strange! In terms of looks, I'd say it's probably a bit above average (based on seeing students at other unis when visiting friends there).
Reply 42
I was at Oxford (2005-2008) and I always felt the student body fell into two distinct groups, looks-wise - there are more shockingly ungroomed, thoroughly unattractive students at Oxford than you might see elsewhere, but then there are also far more skinny, provocatively-dressed blonde rah girls, and foppishly gorgeous boys, than I've ever seen in one place before. I spent my three years there feeling very plain and dull in comparison, much less attractive than I'd ever felt at home - but then I grew up in an area where all the girls voluntarily turn themselves orange and put on shell suits, so Oxford was always going to be a culture shock...

Fact is though, even a girl that most would consider average-looking can be beautiful to a guy who a) goes for her physical type or b) falls in love with her (awww). So if you're slightly less in-your-face than the scantily-clad skinny blonde girls, you might get less hassle from drunk randoms in clubs, but your odds of developing a relationship are still good. So try not to worry.
Reply 43
jcb914
I'm at Cambridge too and it's truly shocking how few overweight people there are here. Very strange! In terms of looks, I'd say it's probably a bit above average (based on seeing students at other unis when visiting friends there).

Don't worry, they will be introducing quotas for horizontally challenged people soon, target is at least 20% obese pupils in oxbridge by 2020, to be more representative of the average population
Anonymous
Out of curiosity though, how 'fat' are we talking about? Obese people or do we mean there are in fact no chubby chicks or guys? Or hell, someone 3-4 stones overweight? If it's that extreme, that not even a chubby person can be seen, it might be worth the generalization, yea.
Size 16+ I'd say - very, very few at Oxbridge are size 16+.
Reply 45
only worry of mine, should i get into oxford, is that i wont be able to control my penis with all the posh birds about

when i went to the open day in september i was met by a stunning girl who looked very classy and said in a very upper class voice ''oh hello. Have you booked?'' and i almost shot my load right then. I love posh birds

But whilst there seem to be a lot of fit girls there (daughters of trophy wives. plenty of private school) i've noticed most of the guys i met were total geeks. I think finding a drinking mate at oxford could be a struggle
from the looks of some of them on university challenge i wouldnt say youve anything to worry about
why ARE STUDENTS AT OXFORD BETTER LOOKING?? I THOUGHT THEY WERE UGLY,BEING GEEKS AND ALL?
Reply 48
The average is lower, I suspect, though the best of Oxbridge can at least match the best of anywhere else.
Cause a lot of them are from higher social standings and thus can get in despite not being the smartest of the bunch? Plus private school, which means that if they are of higher social standing, they probably got a better education and thus had an easier time to get in (plus no scholarship, so free money!)

Also, it's a huge generalization that geeks are unhygenic or unattractive...or maybe I just have a thing for geeks. Myself and most of my friends are 'closet geeks', we're sociable, go clubbing, and do crazy ****. If you look at us you wouldn't think that we love computers, science, technology, literature or anything else deemed 'geeky' by the general population (nor that we talk about it for hours on end). We just don't bring it up when we're in a group of people who aren't interested in it.

Another example is from a guy at Uni with me. He is a charmer, all the girls love him, he's outgoing, incredibly intelligent and handsome. I accidentally brought up comics, once, and we ended up talking about it for nearly an hour, ignoring a gorgeous and stunning woman with him who was so confused I felt bad for her.

Moral of the story? Don't judge a geek by it's cover, or a non-geek for that matter. Also? We all have a little geek in us.
Reply 50
Anonymous
Just because something's a generalisation doesn't mean its not true - it just means you should consider that there are always anomalies/exceptions. Just because there are anomalies / exceptions though does not stop the fact that there is considerable correlation between people within a society's attractiveness/health and their social class, intellect, etc.

The proportion of fat people at Oxbridge is markedly, markedly lower than the general population for the same age group. Not surprising why.

Considering 'attractiveness' is relative to each individual: someone may find a girl attractive another may not. For this very reason, you cannot even begin to argue your point - let alone pass it off as common knowledge.

I really do hope your not at one of these 'top' Uni's because your lack of common sense astounds me.
PhilMc
Considering 'attractiveness' is relative to each individual: someone may find a girl attractive another may not. For this very reason, you cannot even begin to argue your point - let alone pass it off as common knowledge.

I really do hope your not at one of these 'top' Uni's because your lack of common sense astounds me.
Oh for goodness sake! Beauty may be in the eye of the beholder, but don't tell me the type of people you see on the Jeremy Kyle show, the Shannon Matthews family etc, can be put in the same league as princesses, supermodels, Oxbridge Tatler types etc!
Reply 52
Anonymous
Oh for goodness sake! Beauty may be in the eye of the beholder, but don't tell me the type of people you see on the Jeremy Kyle show, the Shannon Matthews family etc, can be put in the same league as princesses, supermodels, Oxbridge Tatler types etc!

I don't watch Jeremy Kyle so I wouldn't know.

And, for me, these type of Daddy's girls that you describe are not attractive in anyway, shape or form to me. Their head is so far up their own arse that they can't see the light. I know the kind, far too much make-up, daddy just bought them their new Mini, they do nothing to earn my respect in life - and most aren't any better than slappers. And this is not a jealous jibe before you start: our £100k+ combined income could allow my parents to do the same in my household however we decided I'd have a better appreciation of material wealth if I worked for it myself. So I did, and continue to do so.

You may feel I've went off track there but it is to show that I much prefer, what others dub as, 'normal' girls. Girls who don't have an over-inflated ego, and who - like myself - work for the majority of things in life and don't expect handouts. So, me (and I'm sure most others will agree) that this 'attraction' cannot be generalised, and that most normal guys detest these types.

The proof is in the asking, ask guys which they prefer.
Pink Sparkles

Its so true about the lack of fat people! I heard that apparently around 1 in 4 girls in Cambridge have an eating disorder.

Eating disorders (ED) are psychological illnesses - the weight of the sufferer is irrlevant and bears no relation to the absence, presence or severity of their disorder.

i.e. ED does not = skinny and skinny does not mean a more severe ED
Reply 54
I got the impression that the students are Cambridge are Geeks, who look Ugly!
Reply 55
pimper35
I got the impression that the students are Cambridge are Geeks, who look Ugly!

Wow, that was helpful. How about you leave it to the people who are actually at the universities and know what they're talking about?
Reply 56
~~hannah~~
There are definitely almost no fat people at Oxford. I don't think it's because of the selection process though but perhaps that they are less likely to apply as they might have lower self esteem so not feel confident enough to apply. Also the brain is the organ that burns the most calories so perhaps highly intelligent people are less likely to be fat?

Lol, come again?
jcb914

why is that shocking? people shouldn't be overweight.
Anonymous
why ARE STUDENTS AT OXFORD BETTER LOOKING?? I THOUGHT THEY WERE UGLY,BEING GEEKS AND ALL?

nope. people here have good genes, had good diets growing up (since they're wealthier on average), did a lot of sport at school and subsequently, and have money to buy better clothes, get their hair done, buy better beauty treatments and cosmetics. it's not surprising that they look better.
Reply 59
vapid slut magician
why is that shocking? people shouldn't be overweight.

I agree, where did I say that people SHOULD be overweight? The fact is that some people are overweight, but - for some reason - they just don't seem to be studying at Cambridge.

Latest

Trending

Trending