The Student Room Group

Gap year to reapply?

I got A*A*A (Maths CS Physics) + A in CS related EPQ yesterday, so got accepted into my Exeter CS Bsc Course with entry requirements typically AAA but I got contextual ABB, I like the Exeter campus and the city is alright, but it feels like I am wasting the good grades I got, so I think I should take a gap year to reapply next year, to better unis such as Warwick, Bristol, Bath etc and also work to make money for uni, however I have heard top unis frown upon gap years most of the time if wasted and I also really want to start university now and get out of the house.
I cannot come to a decision so was hoping for any advice/help, thank you.
Who said universities frown on gap years? They're perfectly normal and more and more people do them.
My teacher told me that there was a student from the previous year, that wanted to do medicine at oxbridge. He got an interview, however was not accepted. He decided to take a gap year to take a break, and did some work experience at a hospital and various other things.
At the end of it, when it was time to reapply, he had a lot to write about on his personal statement and a lot to talk about in his interview! Clearly, it worked as talking about his experiences landed him a place to do medicine at Oxford!
So gap years aren't a disadvantage at all, the only reason I can think of if some universities frown upon them is because it gives people who are retaking their A levels an extra year. Which is obviously an unfair advantage as the students have had an extra year to revise.
ever, you've already done your exams so this doesn't affect you. :smile:
As above, pretty much.

The only "frowning on gap years" I know of is some Cambridge colleges for maths.
Original post by SMFreeze
I got A*A*A (Maths CS Physics) + A in CS related EPQ yesterday, so got accepted into my Exeter CS Bsc Course with entry requirements typically AAA but I got contextual ABB, I like the Exeter campus and the city is alright, but it feels like I am wasting the good grades I got, so I think I should take a gap year to reapply next year, to better unis such as Warwick, Bristol, Bath etc and also work to make money for uni, however I have heard top unis frown upon gap years most of the time if wasted and I also really want to start university now and get out of the house.

Hi SMFreeze,

Congratulations on your grades! Don't worry I am not going to do the hard sell of Exeter (if you do have any questions I can help you with let me know)! If you are wondering what universities think about gap years give their teams a call today, I am sure they will be very happy to advise you on their admissions procedures. In my experience most universities would not bat an eyelid at a gap year, so if you choose to take another year to asses your options you shouldn't be disadvantaged. My main tip would be to ensure that you had a plan for the year so you used it productively (earning money, work experience, travel, or even just working out what you want to do) as they might want to see what you are using the year to do in your personal statement.

Take a couple of days to think about what you want to do, if you have any trusted people you can talk through your options with see what they think to provide a sounding board. There is no rush to go this year and never any harm in considering alternative options, but equally you might be really ready for it and not want to wait which is also fine. Bear in mind that you can always look to defer your place with us so that you have that banked if you decide to reapply next cycle (you would need to email [email protected] to do this). Only you will know what you want to do and what will suit you best, so go with what you think feels right for you.

Good luck with your decision making!

Melody
University of Exeter Student Recruitment Team
(edited 1 year ago)
So what did you decide @SMFreeze?
Original post by ageshallnot
As above, pretty much.

The only "frowning on gap years" I know of is some Cambridge colleges for maths.

why do they do that? You lose the practice?
Original post by SMFreeze

Any difference between Exeter and the likes of Bristol, Bath and Warwick will be negligeable and not worth a gap year. Dont worry about offer grades. If you are happy with the university go for it. League tables are meaningless and all the top universities are of very similar standard.
Original post by CatInTheCorner
why do they do that? You lose the practice?

Basically, yes.
Original post by EldritchA
So what did you decide @SMFreeze?

I still have ‘til the 7th or something of September, but I recon I will stick with Exeter, I think I will enjoy it there and mostly just want the independence sooner rather than later.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending