The Student Room Group

Do you like your name?

Just out of interest, as the title says, do you like your name?

Scroll to see replies

yes, my parents did a good job of choosing a sensible name with good nicknames and it is not too common
My surname is quite common which can be a slight problem on occasion, but I'd give my parents' naming decisions a solid 8/10. :yep:
(In case of any confusion that may arise, Rufus is not my real name).
Sometimes.
But my first name often attracts the wrong sort of attention because it stands out in the UK and often gets me mistaken for a jewish person.
Makes me a magnet for vocal conspiracy theorists obsessed with the nwo or holocaust denial and jew hating racists.
I had to have my first name removed from all my bank & credit cards so only my initial and surname are visible because the hassle got too much.
Original post by PinkMobilePhone
Just out of interest, as the title says, do you like your name?

Its common but not too common and it can be used shortened or its original length so yeah, I think me ma picked well
No. Always thought it sounded chavvy. Not as chavvy as Wayne but still somewhat chavvy.
I have a white name, but I'm brown. My parents say it will help out in the future, but it's kinda weird. Don't hate it or love it.
Original post by Cupcakes12
yes, my parents did a good job of choosing a sensible name with good nicknames and it is not too common

Ok Pi
Original post by londonmyst
Sometimes.
But my first name often attracts the wrong sort of attention because it stands out in the UK and often gets me mistaken for a jewish person.
Makes me a magnet for vocal conspiracy theorists obsessed with the nwo or holocaust denial and jew hating racists.
I had to have my first name removed from all my bank & credit cards so only my initial and surname are visible because the hassle got too much.

That's interesting. I can't think of any female names that I would automatically associate with being Jewish.
I can think of loads of surnames, and even a few male first names, but I can't think of a stereotypically Jewish first name.

I've been called Jewish MANY times during my life. I grew up in a predominantly Jewish area, we had an elderly Jewish lady living with us for many years, I've worked for Jewish people, and apparently I "look Jewish". It doesn't bother me though. It's kind of funny as I'm Roman Catholic.
Yep. I've always thought that Helen really suits me.
That's interesting. I can't think of any female names that I would automatically associate with being Jewish.
I can think of loads of surnames, and even a few male first names, but I can't think of a stereotypically Jewish first name.

I've been called Jewish MANY times during my life. I grew up in a predominantly Jewish area, we had an elderly Jewish lady living with us for many years, I've worked for Jewish people, and apparently I "look Jewish". It doesn't bother me though. It's kind of funny as I'm Roman Catholic.

I'm catholic too.
Alas some of the very worst incidents from childhood to 2020-21 have been with the most disturbed conspiracy theorists of the ultra-trad and sedevacantist persuasions. :getmecoat:
Original post by toxicgamage56
I have a white name, but I'm brown. My parents say it will help out in the future, but it's kinda weird. Don't hate it or love it.

Never understood this logic. If they think giving you an English forename will prevent discrimination it would be somewhat diminished by the fact you have an Asian surname, surely?
Original post by ROTL94 3
Never understood this logic. If they think giving you an English forename will prevent discrimination it would be somewhat diminished by the fact you have an Asian surname, surely?

Some parents have asian sounding surnames, others don't.
Either because they have never had any surname as a matter of tribal custom, it's not a naming tradition widespread within the 'old country' or because they have adopted a frequently encountered surname within their local region/country of residence.

Going by what I've been told by people who have do it, the main motive is not intended to prevent discrimination from others.
It's more focused about showing their own commitment to assimilation into the nation that they have chosen to build their lives in and encouraging their child to do the same during childhood.
i feel meh about my name tbh, i dont really think about it much
my first name is fine, I get annoyed about pronunciation(people mispronouncing and acting as if it is so hard to say despite my name having a phonetic spelling and only being 3 syllables, etc). I guess it's nice that it's a connection to my Nigerian cultures.

my surname is literally a name my dad made up LOL. but it's nice that it's unique I guess
Original post by Obolinda
my surname is literally a name my dad made up LOL. but it's nice that it's unique I guess

When I was 15 my mam had her surname changed to one that she just randomly made up. Then she had mine changed to match hers.
It was kind of strange. I only kept it for 6 years and then I got married anyway and took my husband's surname.
When I was 15 my mam had her surname changed to one that she just randomly made up. Then she had mine changed to match hers.
It was kind of strange. I only kept it for 6 years and then I got married anyway and took my husband's surname.

Do you think she was trying to get attention by being outrageous like the woman who changed her surname to Cameltoe or wanting to bait a reaction from one of her exes/former in-laws with the same surname that you were given as a baby?
My name is Moe Lester and I love it.
Original post by londonmyst
Do you think she was trying to get attention by being outrageous like the woman who changed her surname to Cameltoe or wanting to bait a reaction from one of her exes/former in-laws with the same surname that you were given as a baby?

No it was even weirder than that.

Okay so basically she read some bizarre numerology thing that said that every one of your names (first name, middle name/s, and last name) have to add up to the same number.

So:
A=1, B=2, C=3, all the way up to I=9 and then J=1, K=2, etc. up to R=9, then then back round again, so S=1, T=2, up to Z=8

So let's say for example your first name was Sarah, your name would be 1+1+9+1+8 = 20

So in that case if would also be lucky if your middle name added up to 20, and your last name also added up to 20.

It had the added complication of saying there are some generally lucky letters, and some unlucky ones. The lucky ones were C, G, L, Y among others, I can't remember much about it.

Anyway she invented this entirely new name for herself. She completely changed the spelling of her first name (so it sounds the same as before but is spelled completely differently), and then invented 2 new middle names and a last name. Every one of her names adds up the same thing, and she's got tons of lucky letters and no unlucky letters.
I'm okay with it, though I don't often use it.
Yes. It's not a name a lot of people have

Quick Reply

Latest