The Student Room Group
Student at University of Edinburgh
University of Edinburgh

Transfer; what should I do?

I emailed Edinburgh about a month ago about a transfer into the second year after doing a year at a different university. I'm in my first year now. They sent me a reply saying that I should give them my A Level results (module by module) and attach a cover letter so that they can see I am eligible to apply. I still haven't got a reply from them. Should I assume that I'm not eligible? This huge delay is eating away at the application time through UCAS.
Ring them. The university aren't good at responding to emails.

It seems odd for them to ask for your module results and a covering letter seeing as they make their decisions from the UCAS form, but who am I to question the university admissions. As for eligibility, I assume that if you have BBB or higher at A levels and pass your first year in the same subject area you have as good a chance as any. Out of interest are you applying to humanities or sciences? (But I don't know anything)
Student at University of Edinburgh
University of Edinburgh
Reply 2
I am hoping to apply for Economics but since they have completely blanked me I'm not too hopeful. So I'll give Social Sciences a ring.

Are you at Edinburgh?
Debris
Are you at Edinburgh?

Yes,

I wouldn't take the lack of contact personally - it is notoriously difficult to get comprehensive responses by email from admissions.
Debris
I am hoping to apply for Economics but since they have completely blanked me I'm not too hopeful. So I'll give Social Sciences a ring.

Are you at Edinburgh?

Social Science are awful at communication. Seriously, they have not mastered the art of emailing yet... or just general conveying of information through any means. As the other person said, don't take it as a reflection on your application as they are hopeless with their actual students and even worse with applicants. They're a good department, just ain't too good at communication! You have to do all of the chasing and the pushing for information, don't wait for them to contact you as they'll either have forgotten or they won't do it for months. I emailed my DOS once with an important question, and she replied back 3 months later without even commenting on the delay!

Although I'm not sure that economics is in SPS.... check the department before you call!
oxymoronic
Although I'm not sure that economics is in SPS.... check the department before you call!

I wouldn't call into SPS - there should be people in Humanities and Social Sciences office whose job it is to deal with admissions, or the recruitment and admissions office itself - either is much more likely to be able to deal with checking info before sending off an application. The SPS office can't even tell you efficiently where you essay is being held never mind what sort of requirements there are for transfer.
artorscience?
The SPS office can't even tell you efficiently where you essay is being held never mind what sort of requirements there are for transfer.

Ha yeah true... trying to change your degree programme with them is a complete nightmare so god knows what happens to new applicants as they can't keep track of the students they already have!
Reply 7
I rang them and supposedly the person who checks the emails had an accident so other people are checking it so the "email process has been slow", apparently. Seemed like a porkie but ah well. My email's been passed on to someone else and I'll get a response "as soon as possible." Further the waiting game :rolleyes:

Thanks for the help the two of you :smile:
Debris
Thanks for the help the two of you :smile:

Good luck.

(and at least they go all out on their excuses)

Latest

Trending

Trending