The Student Room Group

I'm 17 and want to start a £5 Hourly Tuition Maths Tuition for KS3

I want to charge cheaply so that students can get an improvement in their gaps and because I'm also new to this, and I don't need a lot of money.
Nice. If you're capable of teaching that's a great thing to do. Also gives you something to put on a CV :wink:
Moved to careers
Original post by magic12th
Nice. If you're capable of teaching that's a great thing to do. Also gives you something to put on a CV :wink:

Thanks
Reply 4
Original post by Motorway Gaming
I want to charge cheaply so that students can get an improvement in their gaps and because I'm also new to this, and I don't need a lot of money.

Think carefully about how much you are charging. The current rate for 1-1 tuition for a fully qualified teacher is around £30 - £40 per hour. Think about products you buy. Would you buy an iPhone style phone for £50? No? Neither would I. Probably poor quality and will break the moment you turn it on.

Similarly with services you offer. Sure, you are not a £30 - £40 an hour experienced teacher, but £5 an hour to me suggests someone who is not taking things seriously and will probably let me down. So pitch yourself at the £20 - £25 mark to give yourself credibility. Sounds bizarre but you will be more successful than if you sell yourself too cheaply.
Maybe start with people you already know? And get family to advertise locally for you
I’d recommend starting with family friends or people you know, which can give you some practice and credibility. Don’t oversell your product if you have nothing to show for it. Then, through word of mouth and local advertising, people will come to you for affordable and reputable services that they can’t find elsewhere.

£5.00 an hour is very cheap for tuition. If this is because you’re new to it and just want to ease yourself into it by having room for trial and error then fine, but I wouldn’t make it 5 pound for very long because people are getting 25 pound an hour for like the average amount nowadays. That’s still considered cheap.
Original post by hotpud
Think carefully about how much you are charging. The current rate for 1-1 tuition for a fully qualified teacher is around £30 - £40 per hour. Think about products you buy. Would you buy an iPhone style phone for £50? No? Neither would I. Probably poor quality and will break the moment you turn it on.

Similarly with services you offer. Sure, you are not a £30 - £40 an hour experienced teacher, but £5 an hour to me suggests someone who is not taking things seriously and will probably let me down. So pitch yourself at the £20 - £25 mark to give yourself credibility. Sounds bizarre but you will be more successful than if you sell yourself too cheaply.

It is a little optimistic to set such a high rate.

As someone who has not yet finished A level Maths, perhaps the OP should charge minimum wage while gaining experience.

What training do you have in pedagogy? I don't think many parents will think you have the right qualifications to tutor.
I don't mean to sound rude, but I wouldn't hire a 17 year old stranger as a tutor for my kids.
I might ask my 17 year old daughter to give her younger siblings a hand with something they're stuck on if I know she has that knowledge, but that's only because I know her abilities like the back of my hand.

Someone has said start with family and friends, that might be an option for you. I think you'll struggle to find much work from families you don't know though.

When I look for distance learning providers, or one-on-one tutors, I look for their qualifications, how many years experience they have, and references / testimonials from families who have seen results from using that tutor. I wouldn't necessarily rule out a new tutor who hasn't had much experience (and therefore not many testimonials) but in that case I'd at least be looking to see if they have a degree in the subject they are tutoring in (something that you obviously don't have, as a 17 year old).

If it's an in-person tutor I'd also be asking if you're DBS checked.
Original post by PinkMobilePhone
I don't mean to sound rude, but I wouldn't hire a 17 year old stranger as a tutor for my kids.
I might ask my 17 year old daughter to give her younger siblings a hand with something they're stuck on if I know she has that knowledge, but that's only because I know her abilities like the back of my hand.

Someone has said start with family and friends, that might be an option for you. I think you'll struggle to find much work from families you don't know though.

When I look for distance learning providers, or one-on-one tutors, I look for their qualifications, how many years experience they have, and references / testimonials from families who have seen results from using that tutor. I wouldn't necessarily rule out a new tutor who hasn't had much experience (and therefore not many testimonials) but in that case I'd at least be looking to see if they have a degree in the subject they are tutoring in (something that you obviously don't have, as a 17 year old).

If it's an in-person tutor I'd also be asking if you're DBS checked.

I got DBS checked and cleared in July 2022 when I applied for a job as a holiday club worker, so that's one thing I have out of the way.
Original post by Muttley79
What training do you have in pedagogy? I don't think many parents will think you have the right qualifications to tutor.

Unfortunately none although I helped with some year 8 students with year 8 maths in my school, however, this is a long term plan for when I start University, since i have almost no experience, that's why it's cheap.
Unfortunately none although I helped with some year 8 students with year 8 maths in my school, however, this is a long term plan for when I start University, since i have almost no experience, that's why it's cheap.

Sorry no parent will opt for this.
Original post by Muttley79
Sorry no parent will opt for this.

Might do when in Uni.

i'd rather you complete ur gcse with an A* and then give tuitions witthin ur school,locality,or family...
Original post by Saeed23
i'd rather you complete ur gcse with an A* and then give tuitions witthin ur school,locality,or family...

You're a bit late bro, I'm in Y12.
You're a bit late bro, I'm in Y12.

will probs start in uni tbf. cheers.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending