The Student Room Group

The Environmental benefits of Brexit.

Scroll to see replies

Original post by imlikeahermit
Lmao. ‘Do we need to travel to Spain at all?’

Am I reading this whole paragraph correctly or have I fell into some dystopian little Englander novel? :rolleyes:

Doubt that you will feel like laughing when you have the loudest and most obnoxious militant protestors of the extinction rebellion anti-plane & heliocopter flights variety surrounding you, determined to be as disruptive as they can.

Yelling accusations of 'eco-terrorism' or 'nuclear war on clean air- exchanging enriched uranium for petroleum fuel blends ' in your face and hurling paint or human waste all over the place.
Possibly starting fires and burning their arms if they are part of the daftest exhibitionist offshoot of ER, End UK Private Jets.
These realities in England are even worse than the most tedious examples of dystopian fiction.
Original post by londonmyst
Doubt that you will feel like laughing when you have the loudest and most obnoxious militant protestors of the extinction rebellion anti-plane & heliocopter flights variety surrounding you, determined to be as disruptive as they can.

Yelling accusations of 'eco-terrorism' or 'nuclear war on clean air- exchanging enriched uranium for petroleum fuel blends ' in your face and hurling paint or human waste all over the place.
Possibly starting fires and burning their arms if they are part of the daftest exhibitionist offshoot of ER, End UK Private Jets.
These realities in England are even worse than the most tedious examples of dystopian fiction.

Don't forget about XR gluing themselves to places!
Original post by hungrysalamander
They might have family in Spain or business connections there that require 6 or 7 trips to Spain each year. While I support high speed rail, it just isn't competitive at long distances compared to flying. Tourism make up a significant portion of GDP for many EU countries so I doubt that they would restrict travel post-covid. That's why I was asking for you to suggest better modes of transport to Spain since it's a lot harder to convince people to not travel.

This, some people might have family in Spain, business connections, housing over there, might be working in Spain part-time to do some volunteering for example, want to learn Spanish and immerse themselves with Spanish culture, are at uni in Spain and need to come back home to the UK from or vice versa etc. Or some just like traveling ya know.

Trying to control the levels of pollution in our atmosphere will not be the thing stopping me from travelling abroad.

Edit: my spelling sucks hard.
(edited 1 year ago)
Don't forget about XR gluing themselves to places!

That's often comparitively less of an inconvenience in XR terms as long as there is no immediate damage inflicted on other people's equipment or obvious immediate risk to human life.
I'd be inclined to leave them trapped outdoors in the pouring rain, soaking wet and too miserable to reach out for their phones or non-protesting allies as they wait for their glue to wear off. :cool:
Original post by londonmyst

It’s just utterly bizarre this little englander attitude most Brexiteers have. Up there with when @Rakas21 suggested people should just go skiing in Scotland instead of the EU.
It’s just utterly bizarre this little englander attitude most Brexiteers have. Up there with when @Rakas21 suggested people should just go skiing in Scotland instead of the EU.

You forgot about my recommendation to go tan yourself in the Isles of Scilly rather than Korfu. :colone:
(edited 1 year ago)
It’s just utterly bizarre this little englander attitude most Brexiteers have.
Up there with when @Rakas21 suggested people should just go skiing in Scotland instead of the EU.

Don't forget to spare a thought for the welsh and northern irish brexiteers. :biggrin:
I'm not sure whether the majority of extinction rebellion militants have ever supported brexit and wouldn't risk asking them for fear of them taking an unhealthy interest in the pollution potential of my ancient land rover.

I've noticed that there is frequent a bit of overlap amongst staunch male brexiteers in the 40s-70s range who also support the idea of a devolved English Parliament or prioritorising england's small independent businesses, local suppliers & long term residents when it comes to contract awards and recruitment.
I'm usually fine with the latter but have no enthusiasm for the former or its noisy and accusatory supporters.
I don't have a problem with the positive and calm portions of the uk population with 'little englander' lifestyles or attitudes, many of them are my most loyal clients.

Quite a few friends who voted remain are very grateful to Rakas21 for his holiday suggestions.
They tell me that they had lots more fun on Aviemore skiing breaks than they ever did in Austria or Switzerland and their budgets went a lot further.
Even more friends and business contacts who voted brexit then were appalled by Boris & May's botched handling of negotiations with the EU appreciated the reminder to consider holiday options that don't involve leaving uk territories as an alternative to staycations or city breaks in the same few dozen stale tourist part animal club 18-45 style of european venues that they had made a routine of coming to since they were in their early 20s.
Point of order incase Hermit considers me a Little Englander: I'm Scottish born and as a unionist, strongly oppose an English parliament. It would be the quickest way to destroy the union in the long run. Indeed, I consider the EVEL convention in parliament to be incredibly stupid.
(edited 1 year ago)
Original post by Rakas21
Point of order incase Hermit considers me a Little Englander: I'm Scottish born and as a unionist, strongly oppose an English parliament.
It would be the quickest way to destroy the union in the long run.

PRSOM
(edited 1 year ago)
And how else do you expect people to get from thr island of Britain to the island of Majorca. Swim?

Plus us stopping flights will only damage tourism, let’s also be honest here, flights In and out the uk are producing minimal ikoact on co2 emissions
(edited 1 year ago)
Original post by Andrew97
And how else do you expect people to get from thr island of Britain to the island of Majorca. Swim?

Plus us stopping flights will only damage tourism, let’s also be honest here, flights In and out the uk are producing minimal ikoact on co2 emissions

Train probably or being told to just stay at home/"home" and not travel.
Original post by Quady
Yup, global Britain should be flying to Mauritius and Saint Lucia more.

Why not ? Mauritius and St Lucia are far away destinations and kinds of places people visit less than once a year because they’re so expensive destinations to travel to. Yes much longer flights but far fewer flights. Some people are visiting Magaluf and Benidorm several times a year! That’s worse for the environment than one return flight to Mauritius a year. There are about 7 flights a day to Mauritius a lot less damaging than 70 short flights to Spain.
Original post by Quady
In Glasgow it barely touched 30, if it ever did.

I voted to leave both unions, suggesting I should want to reduce emissions for the sake of Londoners is hardly a sales pitch...

When southerners and Londoners are having to seek refuge in Scotland because it’s too hot down south and farmers crops won’t grow will you still be happy?
Original post by Ambitious1999
Why not ? Mauritius and St Lucia are far away destinations and kinds of places people visit less than once a year because they’re so expensive destinations to travel to. Yes much longer flights but far fewer flights. Some people are visiting Magaluf and Benidorm several times a year! That’s worse for the environment than one return flight to Mauritius a year. There are about 7 flights a day to Mauritius a lot less damaging than 70 short flights to Spain.

I think you have completely missed the point. People have travelled to Europe and continue to do so. I have made day trips to Paris before now and if I was working for the same company would be continuing to do so. Global Britain needs foreign travel now more than ever given we have cut off ties with our closest and biggest markets.

As for pollution, leaving Brexit now means our government can turn a blind eye to pollution as we have seen with our water companies. We can once again retake our prized title of the Dirty Man of Europe that we used to proudly wear in the 80s and 90s before we signed up for binding pollution targets with Europe.

Yep - Brexit has been a roaring success if you are a polluting company because you can ignore pollution and make even more money!

While I'd not include those two, I do actually believe our overseas territories should become a part of the UK which includes a number of Carribbean territories. Quady is not wrong with the idea, only the places.
(edited 1 year ago)
When southerners and Londoners are having to seek refuge in Scotland because it’s too hot down south and farmers crops won’t grow will you still be happy?

Scotland and it's SNP goverment is far too hot for most sane english people to even consider relocating their homes to, under any circumstances. :tongue:
It's a lot cooler in Australia.
Any environmental benefit you can think of regarding Brexit is immediately offset by the tears of remainers causing ocean levels to rise at double the projected pace.
Reply 37

Yes of course, increased income tax revenue and likely house price rises.
Reply 38

So ww agree there should be more flights there then.
Reply 39
Feel free to suggest better forms of transportation from the island of Great Britain to the island of Majorca. Even mainland spain is too far for trains to compete with planes.

Swim, isn't the government always harping on about people not getting enough exercise these days anyway?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending