The Student Room Group

How to get work experience with an MP?

Year 12 here I want to do work experience with a local MP but I do not have a clue on where to start and who to contact.

Any help would be great
Thanks.
Original post by Jamz4832
Year 12 here I want to do work experience with a local MP but I do not have a clue on where to start and who to contact.

Any help would be great
Thanks.

Presumably you know the names of your local politicians, perhaps try a variety of parties, contact them directly and ask.
Your MP will have a public surgery so you could go along an ask this question yourself.
Good Luck.
Some MPs like Ellie Reeves, Julie Marson, Michael Tomlinson, Paul Bristow and Stephen Timms offer work experience to teenage students.
Most prioritorise those who live within their constituency.
Good luck!
Reply 3
Hello, I'm also a year 12 student and I am going on work experience with my local MP next week and what I would personally recommend, as it worked for me, would be to send them an email with a few paragraphs about yourself and why you would be a good addition to their workplace. I think it also helps you be recognised, and therefore you're more likely to be considered, if you show proof that you really are passionate about politics beforehand-which you can then refer to in your email. I did this by sending my local MP a letter calling for the end of conversion therapy as it is an issue I really care about. This will help you show through your actions that you really would be the perfect person for the job. Good luck and make sure you keep us updated on how it goes!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending