The Student Room Group
Studying in halls, University of Cambridge
University of Cambridge
Cambridge

Gates Cambridge Applicants (for entry in 2023) - U.S. and International

Hello all, I wanted to start the discussion for Gates-Cambridge (2023 entry). I am a U.S. applicant, but hopefully this can be used for everyone to keep each other updated throughout this application cycle, into next summer.
(edited 1 year ago)

Scroll to see replies

Sounds good - have you heard anything back? I haven't received anything, and while I know we find out by the end of this week, I'm wondering if they've already started sending interview invitations.
Studying in halls, University of Cambridge
University of Cambridge
Cambridge
Original post by Anonymous
Sounds good - have you heard anything back? I haven't received anything, and while I know we find out by the end of this week, I'm wondering if they've already started sending interview invitations.

Hello! I have not! Regarding your comment if others have received interview invitations - I saw one person on reddit ask about whether it was worth it to travel for the interview, as well as one person mention on TSR that they have heard others being asked, but that is all I have seen! "Us" U.S. applicants are supposed to hear back tomorrow, as you mentioned, so I do wonder if it will be a big batch of rejections and all the interviews have been divvied out for this round, or if there are some invitations tomorrow.
(edited 1 year ago)
Hello everyone! Today is December 09, 2022 - the latest U.S. Gates Applicants are supposed to hear an application outcome (https://www.gatescambridge.org/apply/timeline/). Has anyone heard anything - whether it be they got an interview offer/declined?

Good luck everyone!
Has anyone heard anything yet…?
US Applicant. Could be wrong, but I assumed the Dec 9th deadline was to hear about application outcomes from the University, not the scholarship? Not really sure. Anyways, I was notified of acceptance by my degree committee last Friday Dec 2nd. Just checked my application portal and it says I received a conditional offer! Haven't gotten an email about setting up the self-service account yet, it says it could take 48 hours. No word about Gates Cambridge at all though!
I'm also a US applicant and haven't heard anything back from Gates Cambridge. I believe the Dec 9th deadline was to hear back from Gates Cambridge, not from your University (since the timeline for Cambridge acceptance depends on the department). I received a conditional offer as well on Nov. 25th.

I saw one person on a reddit page who received an interview invitation via email from Gates Cambridge on Nov. 22. So my assumption is maybe Gates Cambridge already sent out the interview invites a couple weeks ago (right after the departments finished their nomination by Nov. 11th)? And so maybe they'll auto-send the rejection emails, though I'm not sure why they haven't done that already...

That being said, it's entirely possible that there could be some interview invites remaining, but it doesn't make sense to me on why they'd choose to send the interview invitations at different times.
U.S. applicant here, haven't heard from either Gates or the university about acceptance, my application still says under departmental review. Anyone in a similar boat? Thanks!
I wouldn't worry about the departmental review - I think it's actually a good sign! You've basically made it past the first stage (which is the hardest) and to my understanding the departmental review and PAO stage are just formalities (i.e. as long as you didn't lie on your application, you'll be fine).

I think I will send the Gates Cambridge office an email Monday morning and hopefully we should hear a response on Monday?
I was likewise thinking of emailing, but if you are sending an email maybe I shouldn't bombard them haha
I wouldn't worry about the departmental review - I think it's actually a good sign! You've basically made it past the first stage (which is the hardest) and to my understanding the departmental review and PAO stage are just formalities (i.e. as long as you didn't lie on your application, you'll be fine).

I think I will send the Gates Cambridge office an email Monday morning and hopefully we should hear a response on Monday?

Your understanding is incorrect. Departmental review is very much not a formality, and is effectively where the selection takes place. All applications make it to this stage (if your application is stuck on "submitted" and doesn't progress to "under departmental review", that is likely due to an administrator forgetting to tick a box.)

Applicants that make it to PAO, on the other hand, are likely to be successful, as they have been accepted by the department. The PAO checks whether the department's decision is in line with academic standards and verifies submitted degrees, etc. While not a mere "formality", it is true that the vast majority of applicants making it to this stage receive an offer.

Just setting it straight so one goes through an unnecessary rollercoaster of emotions. Good luck with your applications!
(edited 1 year ago)
Original post by Kilgore__Trout
Your understanding is incorrect. Departmental review is very much not a formality, and is effectively where the selection takes place. All applications make it to this stage (if your application is stuck on "submitted" and doesn't progress to "under departmental review", that is likely due to an administrator someone forgetting to tick a box.)

Applicants that make it to PAO, on the other hand, are likely to be successful, as they have been accepted by the department. The PAO checks whether the department's decision is in line with academic standards and verifies submitted degrees, etc. While not a mere "formality", it is true that the vast majority of applicants making it to this stage receive an offer.

Just setting it straight so one goes through an unnecessary rollercoaster of emotions. Good luck with your applications!

This was my understanding as well
Yes - sorry for the confusion! I now realize I got departmental review and degree committee mixed up. Departmental review is the main stage, and if you progress beyond that stage, then you go to the degree committee and PAO. The latter two are easier to get into than departmental review.
Reply 13
Anyone here applied for MPhil in Politics and International Studies and heard back?
Hello all - I hope everyone is doing well! In past years, when there were no decisions made by the published deadline, the website usually updated to a later date to hear back; however, I have yet to see the Trust update that date - it still says December 09, 2022 (which - of course - has passed). I was hoping for a website update during the business day today (in Cambridge), but one did not happen. I have a hunch that some of us may not hear back on anything until after the first of the year, even as resident U.S. applicants. I'll continue to keep an eye out, however! Please keep posting if you all get any updates or have questions.
Submit reply
Continued good luck to all waiting to hear back! :smile:
This is what I received via email...looks like if you did not receive an interview invitation on Nov. 21st you did not get the Gates Cambridge Scholarship:

"Unfortunately several staff members have been unwell over the past few weeks and therefore we are behind with our scholarship notification process. You will receive an official email from the Trust in due course but if you have not received an invitation to interview email on Monday 21 November, then you should assume that your application has not been shortlisted to move forward in our selection process.

I know this will be disappointing news but please be reassured that other funding competitions are on-going at Cambridge and further scholarships will be announced in the New Year."
Thanks for the update!

For me, I just reached out to them, as I actually have not progressed at all on my application portal since I submitted, and never heard back from my department when I reached out in November to essentially ask if everything was OK.
Hi everyone, international applicant here. Anyone else waiting? it is a torturous period lol. I've been interviewed for my department (PhD Engineering), and now waiting for any funding updates, looks like the wait will be atleast another 1-2 months.
Hi everyone, international applicant here. Anyone else waiting? it is a torturous period lol. I've been interviewed for my department (PhD Engineering), and now waiting for any funding updates, looks like the wait will be atleast another 1-2 months.

May I ask your submission time, my PhD application in Engineering has been "under view by dept" for about one and a half months.
May I ask your submission time, my PhD application in Engineering has been "under view by dept" for about one and a half months.

yes, same here, submitted 1 Dec & still under review by department... have you had an interview yet with your supervisor?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending