The Student Room Group

Will getting a part-time job affect my mums universal credit?

Hey there,

I'm currently on my summer break from University and I am looking to apply for a part-time job, however I am not sure if this will affect my mums income as she is a single parent on universal credit.

I'm living at home for now but I'm moving back to uni in September.

Hope someone can help, many thanks.
hi there! i can't help for sure but- when i was seventeen, my mum was on ESA. and i had a part time job where i worked less than twenty hours (or was meant to at least) and got paid minimum wage for my age during the summer. because i was still in full time education, it didn't affect her benefits. although we did still call up and ask the people just in case.

i can imagine that this should be similar? there is probably a limit as to the hours and wages you could get (otherwise everyone would be doing it) but i don't see why her benefits would be affected as you're an independent adult as assumably being over eighteen and living in the same household for a limited time before going back to uni.

if you do find out, please let me know! i would be really interested to know. i'd say to do some googling or ask your mum to call the benefits people *i'm unsure their official name paha* and ask for sure.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending