The Student Room Group

Maintenance Loan and Universal Credit

I am currently in receipt of child tax credits, being a single parent, working (low income) and attending UnI (2nd Year foundation degree). I hope to join the final year of the honors degree. I have received my letter to say that I need to move to Universal Credit but they take your maintenance loan into account. As a result, I will lose most of my Universal Credit. Someone advised it might be better just not to claim my maintenance loan as this has to be paid back. Someone else has said that even if I don't claim it, the fact that I am entitled to it, means it will be taken into account. Either way my income will drop by £600-700p/m. I am really stressed and don't know what to do. I'm even thinking of quitting Uni as a mature student aged 50 and single mum of 2 children. Trying hard to better myself but just seem to be being punished for it!
Original post by lfarr
I am currently in receipt of child tax credits, being a single parent, working (low income) and attending UnI (2nd Year foundation degree). I hope to join the final year of the honors degree. I have received my letter to say that I need to move to Universal Credit but they take your maintenance loan into account. As a result, I will lose most of my Universal Credit. Someone advised it might be better just not to claim my maintenance loan as this has to be paid back. Someone else has said that even if I don't claim it, the fact that I am entitled to it, means it will be taken into account. Either way my income will drop by £600-700p/m. I am really stressed and don't know what to do. I'm even thinking of quitting Uni as a mature student aged 50 and single mum of 2 children. Trying hard to better myself but just seem to be being punished for it!

Have you reached out to your uni as they often have bursaries for financial hardship?
(edited 1 month ago)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending