The Student Room Group
Students relax outside, University of Surrey
University of Surrey
Guildford

University of Surrey interview- Maths

Ok i have been asked to go for an interview in a couple of weeks. I have no idea what to ecpect as i wasnt expecting an interview at all (i emailed them and they told me i didnt need one).

Basically its 15 mins long during a day in which i have to go to different presentations and tours. I was wonderig if this would be a general why do you want to do this course interview or a how would you solve this problem interview?

What do you guys think.

Also i dont think its too formal but what should i wear? Bear in mind im not going just for the interview but the tours/talks/presentations etc
Reply 1
Someone???
Students relax outside, University of Surrey
University of Surrey
Guildford
Reply 2
Hey I've also got an interview for maths. Would be great if someone could give us an overview of what the interview consists of. :smile:
Reply 3
Hi!

I'm at Surrey doing engineering now but I expect your interview will be similar to mine, I had the presentation/interview day thing. I think mainly it is about getting a feel for you and whether you would be right for the course (ie. do you have a clue what it's about and are you interested in it). They ask you about your personal statement and just have a bit of a chat just to make sure that you know what your course is actually about!

I was told on the day that "the fact that you have been invited to have an interview means we will probably give you an offer"...I can't speak for Maths but you can make of that what you will.

Good luck!
Reply 4
adz1991
Hey I've also got an interview for maths. Would be great if someone could give us an overview of what the interview consists of. :smile:

Have replied to you
Reply 5
I had the interview today!!!! they asked me to intergrate (x)/(1+x^2)
Reply 6
Maths girl what you look like, i was there at the same day?
Reply 7
adz1991
Maths girl what you look like, i was there at the same day?

Hey, i think you were in my group. Look at your PM ive send a descrip of what i looked like on the day. However, you cone from coventry and unless you were not the only one, you told me you had to get up at 6.
Reply 8
YAY!!! I GOT AN OFFER FROM SURREY!!!
Lol im so happy. I really like it there. they want ABB...easy!
Reply 9
Original post by MathsGirl
I had the interview today!!!! they asked me to intergrate (x)/(1+x^2)

Hi, I know your interview was a while back but what sort of maths questions do they ask? Can you give me an insight into what may be asked on the maths side.
Thanks in advance :smile:
Reply 10
Original post by Jack_Smith
Hi, I know your interview was a while back but what sort of maths questions do they ask? Can you give me an insight into what may be asked on the maths side.
Thanks in advance :smile:

Have you specifically been told you'll have an interview? The university has changed its policy in recent years (especially so in FEPS, which Maths is in (I think)) to move away from giving formal interviews.

So unless your email specifically states than you'll be having a formal interview, chances are that you won't need one.
Original post by Dan1909
Have you specifically been told you'll have an interview? The university has changed its policy in recent years (especially so in FEPS, which Maths is in (I think)) to move away from giving formal interviews.

So unless your email specifically states than you'll be having a formal interview, chances are that you won't need one.

Well no, they told me to attend their mathematics applicant day where they said there will be a one to one based discussion. i assumed that this is the interview in just a less stressful manner.
Reply 12
Original post by Jack_Smith
Well no, they told me to attend their mathematics applicant day where they said there will be a one to one based discussion. i assumed that this is the interview in just a less stressful manner.

The official policy is that you shouldn't have an interview. The line is that applicants will receive an offer after attending the day, not based on any interview during the day.

The one to one should just be used for you to ask any questions you may have, that you may not want to ask in the group, or in front of your parents.
Original post by Dan1909
The official policy is that you shouldn't have an interview. The line is that applicants will receive an offer after attending the day, not based on any interview during the day.

The one to one should just be used for you to ask any questions you may have, that you may not want to ask in the group, or in front of your parents.

Oh okay thank you for that.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending