The Student Room Group

Brianna Ghey killed in quiet village

Scroll to see replies

Original post by gjd800
Fifteen minutes from me. I wish I could say I was shocked.

What makes you unsurprised?
Reply 21
Original post by Talkative Toad

Culcheth innit - you not been?

Prison is less than a mile away.

It's rough as ****.
Original post by gjd800
It's rough as ****.

Fair.
The suspects are apparently children I think so I'm not sure how the sentencing is going to work.

I think we both already know the answer to this. They’ll be tried as minors and therefore receive basically zero sentence, despite being stone cold murderers.
Original post by imlikeahermit
I think we both already know the answer to this. They’ll be tried as minors and therefore receive basically zero sentence, despite being stone cold murderers.

Probably.
Trial started yesterday and the texts from the accused being presented are pretty harrowing (referring to her as "it" and as a t****y), plus fantasising about murdering people a lot.

Wild that they can be dehumanising her and referring to her with slurs while planning and it's not being considered as a hate crime.
Original post by Stiff Little Fingers
Trial started yesterday and the texts from the accused being presented are pretty harrowing (referring to her as "it" and as a t****y), plus fantasising about murdering people a lot.

Wild that they can be dehumanising her and referring to her with slurs while planning and it's not being considered as a hate crime.

Some people do use the pronouns it/itself strangely enough but yeah that's bad.
Reply 28

It struck me as odd, too, and I wonder if the reason they have not thought of this as a hate crime per se is because these monsters were also planning to kill other young people who did not have any protected characteristics?
Some people do use the pronouns it/itself strangely enough but yeah that's bad.

Some people do but it's not particularly common and far more regularly used as in this case, to dehumanise individual trans people. The stuff coming out from court reporters is really ******* horrid as well, like this hit really hard

https://twitter.com/jessothomson/status/1729458933809426676

She was scared, going out of her comfort zone to meet up with who she thought were friends and they lured her out with the intention of killing her. Genuinely cannot comprehend that level of evil. Her poor mother as well, if I were in her shoes, having encouraged my kid to get out of her comfort zone and live her life, only for her to be murdered for doing so, I'd be absolutely wracked with guilt
(edited 5 months ago)
Some people do but it's not particularly common and far more regularly used as in this case, to dehumanise individual trans people. The stuff coming out from court reporters is really ******* horrid as well, like this hit really hard

https://twitter.com/jessothomson/status/1729458933809426676

She was scared, going out of her comfort zone to meet up with who she thought were friends and they lured her out with the intention of killing her. Genuinely cannot comprehend that level of evil. Her poor mother as well, if I were in her shoes, having encouraged my kid to get out of her comfort zone and live her life, only for her to be murdered for doing so, I'd be absolutely wracked with guilt

Can't really trust X but according to X she is being dead-named as well: https://twitter.com/r_gordon_music/status/1729267138328924370

Yeah, it's not the mother's fault but that's terrible
Can't really trust X but according to X she is being dead-named as well: https://twitter.com/r_gordon_music/status/1729267138328924370

Yeah, it's not the mother's fault but that's terrible

Yeah, introduced by the prosecutor. If it was the name on her ID (and so on her death certificate) I guess it makes sense to have been said in court, don't want to leave any loopholes for them to get off on but no reason for journalists to publish it, particularly when her preferred name is what was used in all reporting of the murder.

It's not her mum's fault at all, wasn't implying that, but I think it's natural to look back at a situation like this and think "if only I hadn't done this", particularly if you're grieving. It's irrational but I think a lot of people in her mum's position would have that nagging voice saying "if I hadn't pushed her to get out then she'd still be here" even though it's entirely the fault of the twisted *******s who lured her out to kill her
Yeah, introduced by the prosecutor. If it was the name on her ID (and so on her death certificate) I guess it makes sense to have been said in court, don't want to leave any loopholes for them to get off on but no reason for journalists to publish it, particularly when her preferred name is what was used in all reporting of the murder.

It's not her mum's fault at all, wasn't implying that, but I think it's natural to look back at a situation like this and think "if only I hadn't done this", particularly if you're grieving. It's irrational but I think a lot of people in her mum's position would have that nagging voice saying "if I hadn't pushed her to get out then she'd still be here" even though it's entirely the fault of the twisted *******s who lured her out to kill her

I wasn't suggesting that you were saying it's her mum's fault, I was saying that even if it wasn't the mother's fault, it's still a terrible situation to be in.
(edited 5 months ago)

They are absolutely horrifying texts, the people involved were truly sick in the head. Not to mention stupid as **** to literally discuss their plans via social media.
Reply 34
Original post by SHallowvale
They are absolutely horrifying texts, the people involved were truly sick in the head. Not to mention stupid as **** to literally discuss their plans via social media.

What would you do with them?
The fact people are still trying to say this wasn't a hate crime is disgusting. May she rest in peace.
Reply 36
Original post by imlikeahermit

There's precedent for long sentences:

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-37941236
https://www.bbc.com/news/uk-england-manchester-67729418

Guilty verdict. Life sentence, minimum time before parole to be decided in the new year

Guilty verdict. Life sentence, minimum time before parole to be decided in the new year

Be very interesting to see what time is given to these two monsters, I’d very much like to see an example made of these two regardless of their age and that starts today when the judge should decide to publish their names.

Good, perhaps the only thing positive to come out of this story. At least they have been brought to justice and won't be able to harm anyone else (which seemed like their original plan).

Utterly awful individuals, you have to wonder if they were always that evil or if something or someone made them that way.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending