The Student Room Group

Msc Psychology conversion program

Can anybody tell me if University of Essex would be a good choice for MSC Psychology conversion program? I got two offers, one from Essex and one from Northumbria. I am confused as to which one to choose.
Just insure they are both BPS accredited with a current licence as I've found some universities are out of date. Also look at their statistics programs tats a big part of psychology and how they intend to teach you 3 years worth of information in 6 months.
@hiya1510
For a non-biased review check out the QAA report for each (a bit like Ofsted but for Higher Education), and also their Teaching Excellence Framework report known as TEF - they will both be readily available online. I would certainly go to open days if you have a chance too.

Marc
Arden University Student Ambassador
MSc Psychology (Conversion) with Arden University.
DO NOT JOIN THIS COURSE. It's not aimed at non-psychology backgrounds and straight into the deep end having not spent a module generally exploring an intro to Psychology. They use PhD students and not qualified lecturers whom speak poorly of their 'enquiring minds'. My worst experience on a course.

I am now trying to recover part of my student loan. Please do not waste your time or money.
(edited 1 year ago)
@Andrea4141
I'm sorry to hear that the course was not quite what you expected. I must admit the first Unit was a real challenge diving straight into using SPSS. I did have a bit of an advantage in that I had done a Sociology degree beforehand so I was at least familiar with such programs. It must be noted that the modules covered are pretty much the same as any provider of the Psychology MSc (conversion) as these are the ones approved of by the BPS.

In terms of qualified lecturers, a reasonable percentage of H.E lecturers across most Universities do not have a teaching qualification (I have worked in F.E and H.E for over 10 years), they will typically have a Masters or Doctorate level knowledge in a particular subject. There is a push for H.E tutors to have at least a Level 5 in teaching however this is not compulsory for most institutions

Marc
Arden University Student Ambassador
With all due respect Marc, it's a CONVERSION course aimed at students from non-psychology backgrounds. Students are provided with text after text, no interactive lessons aside from sometimes 1-2 hours A WEEK.

I have no issues with a passionate, motivated, approachable and inspirational PhD student teaching elements of a course. I have concerns with someone leading 'enquiring minds' that makes derogatory comments about students. THIS IS UNACCEPTABLE.

DO NOT IGNORE POOR REVIEWS LIKE MYSELF.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending