The Student Room Group

Step Up To Social Work 2024

Anybody applied or applying for this?

Scroll to see replies

I am applying, I am struggling with the word limits on the competency questions though. Also concerned about living on £19k for 14 months...
Reply 2
The word count is a struggle but you will get there. Just try to be as concise as you can. Do you have rent or a mortgage? At least the £19800 is rent free.
Which region are you applying for?
if the finances are a problem there are 3 year social work degree apprenticeships which pay around £30,000 (year 1 a little less but average is that).

Obviously takes longer then some of the programs but it’s an alternative option.
Reply 4
How can I find something like this to apply to?
Original post by kmh11
How can I find something like this to apply to?

You can apply on any of the universities that you meet the entry requirements for.

Good luck :smile:
Reply 6
Has anyone who applied for the Step Up heard back?
Reply 7
I was told should hear last week in May/first week in June x
Reply 8
Original post by Sjtyler82
I was told should hear last week in May/first week in June x

Thanks so much, was told early May last time emailed so must be a delay or something x
Reply 9
Not heard anything back yet. Had end of May in my head so hopefully won't be too long now.
Reply 10
Original post by Spence1980
Thanks so much, was told early May last time emailed so must be a delay or something x

Thank you 😊
Original post by A_lice90
Not heard anything back yet. Had end of May in my head so hopefully won't be too long now.
Reply 11
Anyone had an email? I’ve had mine today. Just waiting for the emails to follow so I can book my written assessment and face to face interview.
Reply 12
Original post by Hiltontribe
Anyone had an email? I’ve had mine today. Just waiting for the emails to follow so I can book my written assessment and face to face interview.

I had an email today too! 😊 been checking 5 times a day for 2 months!!
Reply 13
Original post by JennyEll79
I had an email today too! 😊 been checking 5 times a day for 2 months!!

Ha! Same for me. Just so relieved the process is properly underway and hopefully by August we should know if we’re going to be starting in January!
Reply 14
Ha! Same for me. Just so relieved the process is properly underway and hopefully by August we should know if we’re going to be starting in January!

I submitted early and had an email saying they were extending the date for application acceptance so I was hoping this meant they didn’t have as many applicants! But as always I think it’s going to be competitive… I have no idea what to expect from this point but glad I’m here 😊
Reply 15
Got the email today after posting in here this morning! Waiting on the follow up emails too.
(edited 11 months ago)
Reply 16
Got my email today as well.
Does anyone know what to expect from the written assessment?
Do I need get ready with the social work act?
Reply 17
Original post by Kalchheim
Got my email today as well.
Does anyone know what to expect from the written assessment?
Do I need get ready with the social work act?

Not a clue. I think just having some general knowledge of the act, guidance, the basw competencies etc is what I will be focussing on.
Hopefully the email invite for the written assessment will come through and will have a bit more information on it 🙂
Reply 18
Original post by JennyEll79
I submitted early and had an email saying they were extending the date for application acceptance so I was hoping this meant they didn’t have as many applicants! But as always I think it’s going to be competitive… I have no idea what to expect from this point but glad I’m here 😊

I’m hoping that’s the reason they extended the deadline. I’ve been building to this application for some time so really hoping I get through.
I wonder if someone will come along who has applied before to give us an idea of what to expect.
I have a few friends who are social workers but none of them went through Step up so I’m also in the dark about what to expect.
Reply 19
I’m hoping that’s the reason they extended the deadline. I’ve been building to this application for some time so really hoping I get through.
I wonder if someone will come along who has applied before to give us an idea of what to expect.
I have a few friends who are social workers but none of them went through Step up so I’m also in the dark about what to expect.

Let’s hope so! Same here.. My brother in law is in a managerial position but didn’t go through Step up but he’s heard of it, so I’m going to give him a call and see if there’s any advice he can give. I’ll post if it’s helpful! I got my emails today to book the test and assessment.

Quick Reply

Latest