The Student Room Group

qmul law?

how hard is it to get into? I meet the gcse requirements but my GCSEs are not excellent overall compared to the average Russell group applicant. For qmul law how likely would this make my chances of getting in if I'm just meeting the requirements?
Original post by vivismith
how hard is it to get into? I meet the gcse requirements but my GCSEs are not excellent overall compared to the average Russell group applicant. For qmul law how likely would this make my chances of getting in if I'm just meeting the requirements?

Hi there,

It's always a good idea to have a insurance choice that's 'more achievable' if you're worried about getting in. Have you considered a non Russell Group university as your insurance choice? Non Russell Group Universities offer great quality teaching and are a great option for many people.

As for requirements you'll usually get an offer from the University and be asked to meet the conditions of that offer, other things can also factor in like your personal statement for example. If you can gain work experience and talk about why your interested in the subject area/why you're a great candidate for the course this can help you when the course is competitive.

Best of luck!
Rhian
Bangor Uni Rep

For some RG GCSEs don’t matter so much. Your predicted A-levels are much more important. However, if there’s a huge discrepancy between GSCE & AL predicted it can be a red flag so if there’s any reasons why your GCSEs were low ie illness etc, get your referee to put it in your reference.

There are people on here who have quite low GCSEs & are holding offers for law from some RG unis.

I mean how low are we talking? Did you pass? Did you do ok in English & Maths? Which are normally all they’re really bothered about.

If you apply & don’t get offers, work hard in AL, take a gap year & then reapply with achieves grades. That way they’ll almost discount GCSE as you’ve achieved ALs.

But agree with above, make sure your choices are realistic and maybe put a few non RG like Lancaster as a back up.
Reply 3
Original post by BarryScott2022
For some RG GCSEs don’t matter so much. Your predicted A-levels are much more important. However, if there’s a huge discrepancy between GSCE & AL predicted it can be a red flag so if there’s any reasons why your GCSEs were low ie illness etc, get your referee to put it in your reference.

There are people on here who have quite low GCSEs & are holding offers for law from some RG unis.

I mean how low are we talking? Did you pass? Did you do ok in English & Maths? Which are normally all they’re really bothered about.

If you apply & don’t get offers, work hard in AL, take a gap year & then reapply with achieves grades. That way they’ll almost discount GCSE as you’ve achieved ALs.

But agree with above, make sure your choices are realistic and maybe put a few non RG like Lancaster as a back up.

maths 7, english lit 8, english lang 6
maths 7, english lit 8, english lang 6

Those GSCEs are more than fine, they’re well above average. I don’t think you’d have a problem with QMUL but just remember to put an insurance too.

Hey there! GCSE requirements do not have much emphasis unless the pool is really really competitive, (which for QM Law is usually is) BUT having seen your grades I'm positive that you're fine! What would be much more important will be your A level predicted grades, and your personal statement. Best of luck with your application, and please do let me know if I can be of any further help!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending