The Student Room Group

Masters Degree In Barcelona

I am seriously considering doing a Masters's Degree at Barcelona University. As I am trying to change careers after being stuck in one for a while.

I have savings however which are enough to cover the course but unlikely to have enough savings to cover living costs in Barcelona.

I do have rental income from my house though.
I guess there are two issues here one is it worth getting into maybe massive debt just to get a master's which might change my career? (The course does have an online version which may be more viable if maybe harder as the lectures will be all remote and not sure how team collaboration will work).

As after I finished my OU Open Degree it didn't help me change careers at all. Possibly due to the fact it was not a named degree not too much of a general Business Studies/IT degree.

I am also in my 40's so not sure I would want to live in student accommodation again..(it was bad enough when I was younger).
(edited 1 year ago)
Original post by psheraton
I am seriously considering doing a Masters's Degree at Barcelona University. As I am trying to change careers after being stuck in one for a while.

I have savings however which are enough to cover the course but unlikely to have enough savings to cover living costs in Barcelona.

I guess there are two issues here one is it worth getting into maybe massive debt just to get a master's which might change my career? (The course does have an online version which may be more viable if maybe harder as the lectures will be all remote and not sure how team collaboration will work).

As after I finished my OU Open Degree it didn't help me change careers at all. Possibly due to the fact it was not a named degree not too much of a general Business Studies/IT degree.

I am also in my 40's so not sure I would want to live in student accommodation again..(it was bad enough when I was younger).

The thing with business degrees in general is that they don't really help you secure business related roles (at least in the UK). They generally aren't required unless you intend to go into business research in academia.

If you intend to set up your own business, business degrees can offer you the foundational knowledge but you can often get the same information elsewhere for significantly less.

If anything, relevant professional qualifications for the role tend to be more relevant than business degrees. The most prized factor in it all is relevant experience. This is something similar to what you have found out in your IT degree.

If you want to look into the requirements of the specific roles available in business, see the following:
https://nationalcareers.service.gov.uk/job-categories/business-and-finance
https://www.careerpilot.org.uk/job-sectors/admin-hr-legal/job-profiles
https://www.careerpilot.org.uk/job-sectors/finance-accounting/job-profiles
https://www.careerpilot.org.uk/job-sectors/sales-marketing/job-profiles
As you can quickly tell, there are no specific entry requirements to get into the roles at least in the UK (I know it being somewhat similiar in other countries, but I don't know what the job profiles for those specific countries say).

So is it worth the money? It depends on whether you want to work in academia badly enough. For industry, there are usually significantly cheaper alternatives.
I don't know your other issue, since you did not mentioned it.

Do note, in some universities you do have scholarships, bursaries, and partly paid tuition. You might want to look into these to see if you can cut down on the costs.
Original post by psheraton

What is your working history? What is your current/ recent income? What would you aim for for the first couple of years out of the masters degree? Would you really want to work in consulting in your 40s?

Which course in Barcelona? Is it a big name MBA? (there is one in Barcelona). How much does it cost?
Reply 3
Original post by ajj2000
What is your working history? What is your current/ recent income? What would you aim for for the first couple of years out of the masters degree? Would you really want to work in consulting in your 40s?

Which course in Barcelona? Is it a big name MBA? (there is one in Barcelona). How much does it cost?

I have over 20 years IT Support Expereince. Income is top end of this kind of work. I would love to work as a Product Manager.
I was thinking of doing this Masters https://barcelonatechnologyschool.com/master/master-in-digital-product-management/

However I have just found out today it is not a Master of Science it is a "The Master Propio" which my understanidng is only recognised by the awarding Universtiy of Barcelona.

I would be very worried that this insn't recognised in the UK and the course costs more than some UK Msc courses I have seen.
However the whole area of Product Managment is very new and their aren't many Masters in it.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending