The Student Room Group

GCSE History or Geography

I chose History and everyone says it will be stressful and I will regret it. I like History though but I am better at Geog. Any advice?

Scroll to see replies

Personally, I'd say choose the one your good at because I liked Geography, so I picked it even though I was better at History, and now I regret it because its very stressful actually and I've grown to dislike Geography the most now.
Original post by NormalBrit
I chose History and everyone says it will be stressful and I will regret it. I like History though but I am better at Geog. Any advice?

Id choose the one you are better at and will get the better grade in.
I personally chose geography for both gcse and a-level and loved it. I found it ever so interesting.
Reply 3

I'm in Year 11 and am doing both history and geography. I love both subjects, and they are both hard work. I think it really depends on (a) the content of the GCSE - will you be studying topics that you are interested in? and (b) which subject are you more passionate about? You will spend around 3 lessons a week for 2 years studying for the GCSE, not to mention time spent revising before exams (both mock and real), so I would choose the subject that you know you will enjoy studying more. In my experience, GCSE History is quite content heavy, but if you enjoy the subject you probably won't regret it, however this may also depend on the exam board. It is also important to remember that you have got lots of time to improve your grade, so don't choose a subject based on the grade that you might get in an exam in 2 year's time.

I hope this helps. :smile:
Geography >>> History

Fight me

how much better are you at geography than history? because if you enjoy it that much more you will be more willing to put time into improving for history, but may not be as willing for geography
Original post by flowersinmyhair
how much better are you at geography than history? because if you enjoy it that much more you will be more willing to put time into improving for history, but may not be as willing for geography

Bit better. In my end of years last year I got 96 percent in geog but around 80 percent in History. Hate geography though
Original post by GeT_iN_SHinJI
Geography >>> History

Fight me

Tbh I quite like the physical geography but I don't like the great deal of case studies
Original post by boxy123
I'm in Year 11 and am doing both history and geography. I love both subjects, and they are both hard work. I think it really depends on (a) the content of the GCSE - will you be studying topics that you are interested in? and (b) which subject are you more passionate about? You will spend around 3 lessons a week for 2 years studying for the GCSE, not to mention time spent revising before exams (both mock and real), so I would choose the subject that you know you will enjoy studying more. In my experience, GCSE History is quite content heavy, but if you enjoy the subject you probably won't regret it, however this may also depend on the exam board. It is also important to remember that you have got lots of time to improve your grade, so don't choose a subject based on the grade that you might get in an exam in 2 year's time.

I hope this helps. :smile:

Hey, thanks for the reply! My exam board for history is aqa and we have 4 topics: Conflict and tension ww2, USA, Britain health and the people and elizabethan england
Bit better. In my end of years last year I got 96 percent in geog but around 80 percent in History. Hate geography though

I think you should probably do history then
Tbh I quite like the physical geography but I don't like the great deal of case studies

There's only a few case studies though and you only really need to remember 1 or 2 statistics for each one. The rest is just common sense. It's up to you really, but I recall a lot of people complaining about how terrible gcse history was and not so many geography.

I'd say choose history. It is more impressive to colleges and gives you more essay writing skills that geography won't. History is a big work load but it is worth it in the long run. I did better in geography at KS3 but took history at gcse and it was the best decision for me personally.
Original post by mumbygumby
I'd say choose history. It is more impressive to colleges and gives you more essay writing skills that geography won't. History is a big work load but it is worth it in the long run. I did better in geography at KS3 but took history at gcse and it was the best decision for me personally.

there is essay writing involved in geography and please could you back up your claim that history is more impressive than geography.
Original post by mumbygumby

You already do plenty of essay writing in English. I'd say that the combination of both facts, logic and writing ability makes geography more valuable than History. Not that it matters too much what you pick at GCSE.
You already do plenty of essay writing in English. I'd say that the combination of both facts, logic and writing ability makes geography more valuable than History. Not that it matters too much what you pick at GCSE.

I wouldn't say one is more valuable than the other, it comes down to personal preference and what you want to study in the future, even then GCSEs don't really matter that much

So is geography more prestigious? Geog doesn't appear to me, as I am not the fact memorising type personally lol
So is geography more prestigious? Geog doesn't appear to me, as I am not the fact memorising type personally lol

I wouldn't say either is more prestigious, they are both, at the end of the day, GCSEs which are the same level qualification. Unless you want to do the subject at A-level, most colleges and sixth forms won't really care as long as you have the grades needed to get in
As someone who does both geography is easier but history is far more interesting, especially if you're more humanities inclined the physical part of geography is evillll.
Original post by tryhardgigs
As someone who does both geography is easier but history is far more interesting, especially if you're more humanities inclined the physical part of geography is evillll.

Ultimately it comes down to if you like it, if you're good at it and if you want to study it at a-level :u:

I wouldn't know, because I haven't actually taken GCSE History, but I would imagine that it requires a lot more fact memorisation than Geography (especially human geography which was more about logical thinking rather than facts). I wouldn't say geography gcse is more or less prestigous than history because GCSEs aren't really that important in the 1st place. If you're looking into the more "sciency" route then I'd recommend Geography. If you're looking into the humanities (i.e. English/Languages/Law) route then history would probably be better for you.

Quick Reply

Latest