The Student Room Group

penalty charge notice

I appealed a parking charge of £60 using the parking company online service and opted to be notified of their decision by post. The letter for the parking charge states that it will placed on hold until a decision for the appeal has been reached and this should be provided within 35 days however it also said if you do not hear from us within 35 days contact them and do not assume the appeal has been successful.Each day i checked my post and my e-mails and found no reply of a decision to my appeal until a letter arrived 66 days later from a debt recovery company demanding an increased payment of £170 . If they had notified me by post of their decision to refuse my appeal after 35 days i would have had an option to pay £60 and they should also have provided details of appeal to POPLA and by not doing so these regulatory options have been denied to me.
Original post by aerolobby
I appealed a parking charge of £60 using the parking company online service and opted to be notified of their decision by post. The letter for the parking charge states that it will placed on hold until a decision for the appeal has been reached and this should be provided within 35 days however it also said if you do not hear from us within 35 days contact them and do not assume the appeal has been successful.Each day i checked my post and my e-mails and found no reply of a decision to my appeal until a letter arrived 66 days later from a debt recovery company demanding an increased payment of £170 . If they had notified me by post of their decision to refuse my appeal after 35 days i would have had an option to pay £60 and they should also have provided details of appeal to POPLA and by not doing so these regulatory options have been denied to me.

It sounds like the parking company did not adhere to their own stated guidelines for notifying you of their decision within 35 days, and as a result, you were not able to pursue further options for appealing the charge. You could consider writing a letter of complaint to the parking company, stating that their failure to notify you of their decision in a timely manner has denied you the opportunity to appeal the charge through the correct channels. You may also want to seek legal advice or contact a consumer advocacy organization for assistance in resolving the matter.
Reply 2
Original post by Marcus O'Donnell
It sounds like the parking company did not adhere to their own stated guidelines for notifying you of their decision within 35 days, and as a result, you were not able to pursue further options for appealing the charge. You could consider writing a letter of complaint to the parking company, stating that their failure to notify you of their decision in a timely manner has denied you the opportunity to appeal the charge through the correct channels. You may also want to seek legal advice or contact a consumer advocacy organization for assistance in resolving the matter.

Thank you for your sensible advice. When I received notification from the Debt recovery company i contacted them by phone and they said check your e-mails for February 6th, which i did and there was nothing, however i had made a request to the Parking company to be notified of their decision by post and not by e-mail.
It sounds like there may have been some confusion or miscommunication between the parking company and the debt recovery company. If you had requested to be notified of the decision by post, it's possible that the parking company may have sent the decision to the wrong address or failed to send it altogether.

In any case, it's important to keep any evidence you have related to your appeal and the parking charge, including any emails or letters you sent and received. This could be useful if you decide to challenge the debt recovery company's demand for payment or escalate the matter further.

You may want to consider contacting the parking company again to request a copy of the decision on your appeal and to raise your concerns about the debt recovery company's demand for payment. You could also ask for clarification on why the decision was not sent to you by post as requested.

If you are unable to resolve the matter with the parking company or debt recovery company, you could consider seeking legal advice or contacting a consumer rights organization for further guidance.
Thank you for your sensible advice. When I received notification from the Debt recovery company i contacted them by phone and they said check your e-mails for February 6th, which i did and there was nothing, however i had made a request to the Parking company to be notified of their decision by post and not by e-mail.
Reply 4
It sounds like there may have been some confusion or miscommunication between the parking company and the debt recovery company. If you had requested to be notified of the decision by post, it's possible that the parking company may have sent the decision to the wrong address or failed to send it altogether.

In any case, it's important to keep any evidence you have related to your appeal and the parking charge, including any emails or letters you sent and received. This could be useful if you decide to challenge the debt recovery company's demand for payment or escalate the matter further.

You may want to consider contacting the parking company again to request a copy of the decision on your appeal and to raise your concerns about the debt recovery company's demand for payment. You could also ask for clarification on why the decision was not sent to you by post as requested.

If you are unable to resolve the matter with the parking company or debt recovery company, you could consider seeking legal advice or contacting a consumer rights organization for further guidance.

Thank you again for your updated advice. I will contact the Parking company again and see what they have to say. It is unlikely they have sent their decision notice to the wrong address as their initial letter of the parking charge notice and the letter from the Debt recovery company were correctly addressed and have been delivered. The parking company are members of BPA trade association and the members code of practice section 22.8 states that they must accept or reject appeal challenges in writing within 35 days of receiving it so i may consider raising a complaint with BPA if the parking company fails to resolve the charge.
You're welcome, happy to help. It's a good idea to contact the parking company again and request a copy of the decision notice they claim to have sent you. This will help you to determine whether they followed the correct procedures for notifying you of their decision.

If you're not satisfied with their response or they fail to resolve the charge, you may want to consider making a formal complaint to the BPA. As a member of the trade association, the parking company is bound by the BPA Code of Practice, which requires them to follow certain rules and standards. If you believe the parking company has breached the Code of Practice, you can raise a complaint with the BPA and they will investigate the matter.

You may also want to seek legal advice if the matter remains unresolved, as there may be options available to you for challenging the charge and the debt recovery company's demand for payment.
Thank you again for your updated advice. I will contact the Parking company again and see what they have to say. It is unlikely they have sent their decision notice to the wrong address as their initial letter of the parking charge notice and the letter from the Debt recovery company were correctly addressed and have been delivered. The parking company are members of BPA trade association and the members code of practice section 22.8 states that they must accept or reject appeal challenges in writing within 35 days of receiving it so i may consider raising a complaint with BPA if the parking company fails to resolve the charge.
Reply 6
You're welcome, happy to help. It's a good idea to contact the parking company again and request a copy of the decision notice they claim to have sent you. This will help you to determine whether they followed the correct procedures for notifying you of their decision.

If you're not satisfied with their response or they fail to resolve the charge, you may want to consider making a formal complaint to the BPA. As a member of the trade association, the parking company is bound by the BPA Code of Practice, which requires them to follow certain rules and standards. If you believe the parking company has breached the Code of Practice, you can raise a complaint with the BPA and they will investigate the matter.

You may also want to seek legal advice if the matter remains unresolved, as there may be options available to you for challenging the charge and the debt recovery company's demand for payment.

Pleased you have taken the time to respond, i will be right on it from tomorrow.
One query. if they specifically told you to contact them if you do not hear within the 35, why did you ignore this for weeks after? I dunno how it would work out, but if they have cheekily passed some responsibility to you with this 'If you don't hear from us by X contact us' thing, then it possibly undermines any complaint you make that they didn't communicate as agreed.

This is one of those things I would have actively chased up, rather than rely on someone sending me a letter etc, esp when it isn't in their interests to help me in any way.

Thats their defence right there; if you do not hear from us within 35 days contact them and do not assume the appeal has been successful.

You didn't hear from them which appears the appeal was unsuccessful and as you didn't contact them to pay they passed it to Debt agency.
Reply 9
Except their website gives you the option to receive a decision by post and as a member of trade association BPA
code of practice section 22.8 states that members must inform accept or Reject decisions to challenges in writing within 35 days of appeal. If they are not prepared to conform to their own T & C'S or those of BPA just make it clear they are not. If you come across any glasses that makes hindsight much clearer please let me know.

Same thing happened to me. I just complained through various emails.
Reply 11
Original post by smilingturnip
Same thing happened to me. I just complained through various emails.

Thank you for your response, I have sent them a letter and wait to see if they respond.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending