The Student Room Group

french gcse speaking advice

Hi, I'm doing my french speaking in a little over a month and im really really nervous for it. I can't seem to get above a grade 7/8 but i really would love to get a nine as i'm considering french for a level and it would make me feel so much more prepared going into the written exam thinking that i've done well in it. I have a few questions that if anyone could answer i'd rlly appreciate it!

How long should answers to the photocard be for top marks?
How do you handle surprise questions well (particularly in general conversation)?
Do you have any useful phrases to throw in to get better marks on quality of language?

Thank you so much!
I did GCSE German, and got an 8. For your photocard you should endeavour to say as much as you can for each question, your teacher should stop you when you need to move on. For surprise questions, just try to know your vocab, grammar and phrases for each topic and that should get you through. I can't help you with useful phrases as I did German and my French is truly diabolical.
I’ve been learning and tutoring languages mainly French different ages over the years, using different syllabus books and topics, so I advise going through and practice. A tutor or French speaker-student/parent could help you. Duolingo and there are other apps your teacher may advise or others. Clarify what need to prepare,check as well as seen now have to read a text and answer questions, practice as much as can even get a tutor if need be. Watch films/you tube/Netflix listen to French music. Duolingo/BBC bite size. My daughter was on a party app communicating with French people. I’m sure your teacher can help too. I just found James Blunt with a French rapper on you tube. Listen to the radio immerse yourself as much as possible. This is how we learn language and why English is so popular. If there is a French cafe where you are see, if can practice a bit. Also you need to believe you can do it and be/feel confident in your abilities. I’m sure you will be fine. Good luck Bon courage 🤞
Reply 3
Original post by Multichameleon
I’ve been learning and tutoring languages mainly French different ages over the years, using different syllabus books and topics, so I advise going through and practice. A tutor or French speaker-student/parent could help you. Duolingo and there are other apps your teacher may advise or others. Clarify what need to prepare,check as well as seen now have to read a text and answer questions, practice as much as can even get a tutor if need be. Watch films/you tube/Netflix listen to French music. Duolingo/BBC bite size. My daughter was on a party app communicating with French people. I’m sure your teacher can help too. I just found James Blunt with a French rapper on you tube. Listen to the radio immerse yourself as much as possible. This is how we learn language and why English is so popular. If there is a French cafe where you are see, if can practice a bit. Also you need to believe you can do it and be/feel confident in your abilities. I’m sure you will be fine. Good luck Bon courage 🤞

thank you!! i've started watching some french tv shows and its rlly helping!!
Reply 4
Original post by flowersinmyhair
I did GCSE German, and got an 8. For your photocard you should endeavour to say as much as you can for each question, your teacher should stop you when you need to move on. For surprise questions, just try to know your vocab, grammar and phrases for each topic and that should get you through. I can't help you with useful phrases as I did German and my French is truly diabolical.

Thanks for the advice!
That’s great you can also add subtitles that may help- peut aider.
Bonjour or Bon aprem, I think the whole assessment and grading has changed which I will look into. I ‘ve just remembered quizlet and memorise can help too. I need to make a list as forget and also look at using (or lose) languages. Practice makes perfect.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending