The Student Room Group

French A-level

Hi. Has anyone done French A-level and got an A/A* grade? I keep getting Bs which is disappointing as French has been something I've always found naturally easy at GCSE. I'm working at As in all my other subjects (Drama, English and Politics). I'm already having tution with our languages assistant twice a week (as everyone does). I think the problem is grammar as I was poorly taught at my old school but any advice would be appreciated?
Original post by 7hibladen
Hi. Has anyone done French A-level and got an A/A* grade? I keep getting Bs which is disappointing as French has been something I've always found naturally easy at GCSE. I'm working at As in all my other subjects (Drama, English and Politics). I'm already having tution with our languages assistant twice a week (as everyone does). I think the problem is grammar as I was poorly taught at my old school but any advice would be appreciated?

What did your French teacher say when you asked? They're the person who is giving you Bs -- they must know what your weaknesses are that are resulting in them giving you those marks.

It would be good to definitely ask your teacher to highlight to you the topics/grammar points that you’re weakest and that are pulling your mark done. Sometimes it’s not just grammar it could be the essay writing skills or your speaking but you’ll never know unless you ask. If you’re really worried about your grammar you should work on the different points you find the most difficult and work on them. Do worksheets, write out sentences with them so you feel more comfortable and understand them better.
Hi! I own a language tutoring company, all our tutors have studied languages at Oxford or Cambridge, and have years of teaching experience. We have some really wonderful French tutors who could help you get your grammar up to A/A* level if you are interested! Lmk xx

If grammar is the problem, this book might well be the answer:

https://www.amazon.co.uk/French-Grammar-Essential-Sixth-Beyond/dp/095706120X

It is one I have recommended for years as it is brilliant for self-study. It starts off with a clear explanation of all the grammar basics and then gradually moves on to more sophisticated structures. Lots of exercises; and an answer section that gives further explanations so that you can understand why things are right or wrong.

All the pupils I have had who have worked their way through this book have got an A* in their A level French.
Reply 5
Original post by Ffion_Kellegher
Hi! I own a language tutoring company, all our tutors have studied languages at Oxford or Cambridge, and have years of teaching experience. We have some really wonderful French tutors who could help you get your grammar up to A/A* level if you are interested! Lmk xx

Hi

I'm actually about to start tutoring with a friend of my sister who is going to be giving me lessons in both speaking and grammar on a rotational basis. But thanks for your help.
Reply 6
Original post by Anna Schoon
If grammar is the problem, this book might well be the answer:

https://www.amazon.co.uk/French-Grammar-Essential-Sixth-Beyond/dp/095706120X

It is one I have recommended for years as it is brilliant for self-study. It starts off with a clear explanation of all the grammar basics and then gradually moves on to more sophisticated structures. Lots of exercises; and an answer section that gives further explanations so that you can understand why things are right or wrong.

All the pupils I have had who have worked their way through this book have got an A* in their A level French.

Hi
Thanks, this is really helpful. I've already got a grammar book that my teacher provided me but I'll definitely look into ordering this.
Reply 7
She said my speaking skills were excellent and I had a lovely accent. She thinks my knowledge of french culture is very good and she is impressed with my wider reading. I'm also making good progress in listening and reading but it is just the grammar that has pulled my marks down in tests. I'm working on it

Original post by martin7
What did your French teacher say when you asked? They're the person who is giving you Bs -- they must know what your weaknesses are that are resulting in them giving you those marks.
Reply 8
Original post by evakesiax
It would be good to definitely ask your teacher to highlight to you the topics/grammar points that you’re weakest and that are pulling your mark done. Sometimes it’s not just grammar it could be the essay writing skills or your speaking but you’ll never know unless you ask. If you’re really worried about your grammar you should work on the different points you find the most difficult and work on them. Do worksheets, write out sentences with them so you feel more comfortable and understand them better.

Hi
Thanks for replying. She said that my specific problem is with some of the harder tenses such as the pluperfect, conditional perfect and the subjunctive mood. I'm fine with the other tenses and can conjugate most verbs
Reply 9
I am also allowed to drop an A-level after Easter so will be dropping Politics in order to priortise my studies (don't enjoy politics)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending