The Student Room Group

I have two masters degrees, should I omit the bad one when applying for a PhD?

Hi there,

I want to apply for Computer Science/AI PhD, here are my qualifications. I intend to apply to some top places. The universities are all lower league bar the one I got the bad grades (Swansea uni).

MSc Intelligent Systems (predicted distinction, lowest grade so far is 82%). Grades: 82%, 83%, 88%, 99%, 78%, 80%, thesis=91% (2 modules remaining). I also have one conference publication presented last year, in press (Springer).

MSc Computer Science Conversion (merit 60%, grades 43%*, 50%**, 52%, 58%, 62%, 69%, 71%, 77%, thesis = 60%). *=tolerated fail, **=capped resit grade

BA International Relations (1st class).

What do you think?
(edited 1 year ago)
Original post by BillMurray
Hi there,

I want to apply for Computer Science/AI PhD, here are my qualifications. I intend to apply to some top places. The universities are all lower league bar the one I got the bad grades (Swansea uni).

MSc Intelligent Systems (predicted distinction, lowest grade so far is 82%). Grades: 82%, 83%, 88%, 99%, 78%, 80%, thesis=91% (2 modules remaining). I also have one conference publication presented last year, in press (Springer).

MSc Computer Science Conversion (merit 60%, grades 43%*, 50%**, 52*, 58%, 62%, 69%, 71%, 77%, these = 60%). *=tolerated fail, **=capped resit grade

What do you think?

It will likely be an application process not a CV so you will be asked to give all previous academic qualifications.

You will need to be able to prove ability which is bound to include the MSc Computing grade, because it's a conversion degree. otherwise how do you explain going form undergrad to MSc Intelligent Systems.
Original post by threeportdrift
It will likely be an application process not a CV so you will be asked to give all previous academic qualifications.

You will need to be able to prove ability which is bound to include the MSc Computing grade, because it's a conversion degree. otherwise how do you explain going form undergrad to MSc Intelligent Systems.

Yes, I thought that would be an obvious question. Thanks for replying.
Hi there,

MSc Computer Science Conversion (merit 60%, grades 43%*, 50%**, 52*, 58%, 62%, 69%, 71%, 77%, these = 60%). *=tolerated fail, **=capped resit grade

What do you think?

This doesn't even look bad, tbh. You went from an unrelated field to getting 60% in the conversion course, and now a distinction in your current Masters.
Like that shows development.
You can't omit qualifications. That's fraudulent I'm afraid.
Original post by Dnsnnssn
This doesn't even look bad, tbh. You went from an unrelated field to getting 60% in the conversion course, and now a distinction in your current Masters.
Like that shows development.

I agree! Just a little concerned, especially when it comes to applying to some of the more highly ranked universities which have better funding options. It's not so much the overall grade as it is the asterisks on that transcript that concern me. But yes, I hope anyone who assesses my application will see that for what it is, evidence of good progress. Thanks for your input.
Hi there,

MSc Computer Science Conversion (merit 60%, grades 43%*, 50%**, 52%, 58%, 62%, 69%, 71%, 77%, thesis = 60%). *=tolerated fail, **=capped resit grade

What do you think?

Hi @BillMurray

I agree with the others that you will have to disclose everything, but I don’t think that is a bad thing.
I am a current PhD student, and I can honestly say that so many of the best PhDs I have worked with didn’t have a ‘typical’ academic path to their PhDs. I have also seen amazing and talented students get poor grades in their MScs for many different reasons. And this is only after a few years in academia, so I would imagine that lecturers/professors will have seen this a thousand times over.

It may be a good idea to think about the reasons/lessons learned from the ‘bad grade period’ you had. Did you learn to work effectively, finding a style that suits your mind? Maybe you had personal circumstances that affected your performance, like health (including mental health) or family issues. These affect everyone, but it is about learning to cope and balance that are valuable skills that actually may make you a better candidate.
I did my undergrad in genetics, and I know a lot of people on my course struggled with our bioinformatics module (coding) so I will use that as an example. You can be honest if it comes up in the interview, saying that when you first came across that subject you found it difficult, and because you had changed area you fell behind and your grades suffered. But maybe you did some introductory courses (free online!) on python, and from there gained an appreciation for the computational biology that had illuded you during the study. Again, this shows an ability to address the areas you are weaker in (and EVERYONE does have weaknesses) and the fact that you took those steps (e.g. an online course) to improve shows that you are willing to tackle the difficult areas to make yourself well rounded.

Hopefully this helps change your perspective a bit, and may help in the interview to address these grades if it does come up.
Best of luck with your application!
Ciara
3rd year Agrifood PhD student
Cranfield Student Ambassador
Original post by Cranfield University
Hi @BillMurray

I agree with the others that you will have to disclose everything, but I don’t think that is a bad thing.
I am a current PhD student, and I can honestly say that so many of the best PhDs I have worked with didn’t have a ‘typical’ academic path to their PhDs. I have also seen amazing and talented students get poor grades in their MScs for many different reasons. And this is only after a few years in academia, so I would imagine that lecturers/professors will have seen this a thousand times over.

It may be a good idea to think about the reasons/lessons learned from the ‘bad grade period’ you had. Did you learn to work effectively, finding a style that suits your mind? Maybe you had personal circumstances that affected your performance, like health (including mental health) or family issues. These affect everyone, but it is about learning to cope and balance that are valuable skills that actually may make you a better candidate.
I did my undergrad in genetics, and I know a lot of people on my course struggled with our bioinformatics module (coding) so I will use that as an example. You can be honest if it comes up in the interview, saying that when you first came across that subject you found it difficult, and because you had changed area you fell behind and your grades suffered. But maybe you did some introductory courses (free online!) on python, and from there gained an appreciation for the computational biology that had illuded you during the study. Again, this shows an ability to address the areas you are weaker in (and EVERYONE does have weaknesses) and the fact that you took those steps (e.g. an online course) to improve shows that you are willing to tackle the difficult areas to make yourself well rounded.

Hopefully this helps change your perspective a bit, and may help in the interview to address these grades if it does come up.
Best of luck with your application!
Ciara

Thanks for taking the time to write all of that out. Out of curiosity, are you enjoying Cranfield? May I ask what qualifications you had before applying and what classifications you achieved? I definitely have it on my radar. One thing I noticed about their fully funded PhD positions is their scholarships seem to be way above the average amount, there are advertised positions on their website currently worth up to £27,000 per year.
Thanks for taking the time to write all of that out. Out of curiosity, are you enjoying Cranfield? May I ask what qualifications you had before applying and what classifications you achieved? I definitely have it on my radar. One thing I noticed about their fully funded PhD positions is their scholarships seem to be way above the average amount, there are advertised positions on their website currently worth up to £27,000 per year.

Hi @BillMurray

Glad you are interested in Cranfield!

I am doing my PhD with the Plant Science Lab, so a bit of a different area that what I assume (based on the topics of your MScs) but I have lived and worked in Cranfield since September of 2020, so I’ll be able to share my personal experience. If you have any specific questions (e.g. about what it’s like to work in a specific department) I can put you in touch with one of our student ambassadors from that school, so don’t limit your questions!

I applied for a fully funded project that was in partnership with industry. Before applying, I finished my undergraduate degree in genetics from Trinity College Dublin, and had done my thesis project on plant genetics. I had also done an internship the previous year in immunology, and while I was working on the responses of human cells to viral pathogens (aka, very not plants!) it gave me a lot of skills in biochemistry and experimental design which carried over into my PhD work.
Unlike a lot of people, I didn’t have an MSc (or two) but my undergrad covered quite a wide range of topics. I also had access to different MSc modules (there were several on computational biology and statistics that were particularly helpful for me, based on my own needs and project) to target any areas I wasn’t confident in. Additionally, my supervisors and other members of the labs were so helpful in providing training on different pieces of equipment, techniques, etc. My department is also supported by an amazing team of technicians who keep the labs/equipment running smoothly and provide additional training/help.

The scholarship awards vary a lot depending on the school. A few people choose to self-fund, but a lot of the funding is provided for by funding bodies (e.g. BBSRC) who will have a set stipend amount that every PhD funded by them gets, irrespective of university. However, Cranfield has really excelled in creating industry connections in addition to traditional funding opportunities, which sometimes pay higher than other institutions. This can be because the funding body will give their set stipend, and the industry partner will ‘top up’ that amount, or because you are fully funded by industry. This will vary depending on the project.

Overall, being at Cranfield has given me so many opportunities that I couldn’t have expected in addition to my PhD. I have done several STEM outreach events for primary school students, been a part of SoapBox Science, facilitated a conference, and spoken in parliament about gene editing in crops. I couldn’t have done these without the support of my supervisors, and have had a really positive experience. If anyone tells you it’s all roses and super easy, they are lying, but if I had to go back and choose my PhD all over again I would make the same choices that brought me to Cranfield.

If you have any more questions, or would like me to elaborate on anything (e.g. what it’s like to live in this area, different research facilities here, anything like that) just let me know here or on the Cranfield TSR forum 😊

Best of luck with your decisions and applications!
Ciara

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending