The Student Room Group

am i smart or dumb?

brief overview- i'm year 13 atm and trying hard to study for A levels. i do both english literature and language and RS. i get always good grades for english language, english literature i'm getting a lot better and got an A grade. RS i struggle with but i have a tutor and my grades for him are getting to be As and Bs but with my school teachers they turn out being Cs and Ds. i do struggle with the subject because its 30 topics and exam technique etc.

anyways-- the school is hosting these easter school things in the mornings from monday to thursday and only a selection of people are required to go. it makes me wonder whether my teachers or the school think i'm stupid or something because it's like i'm put in the "extra help" classes for the morons. so i wondered whether i am dumb then.

i mean i have never believed i'm super smart but i get called stupid and dumb and sometimes treated like an idiot. i'm not trying to design this as a thing for fishing for compliments but i wondered if anyone has the same issues and what i do. i am working hard for good grades into a Russell group uni so yeah.
Reply 1
Original post by Marysia W-Smith
brief overview- i'm year 13 atm and trying hard to study for A levels. i do both english literature and language and RS. i get always good grades for english language, english literature i'm getting a lot better and got an A grade. RS i struggle with but i have a tutor and my grades for him are getting to be As and Bs but with my school teachers they turn out being Cs and Ds. i do struggle with the subject because its 30 topics and exam technique etc.

anyways-- the school is hosting these easter school things in the mornings from monday to thursday and only a selection of people are required to go. it makes me wonder whether my teachers or the school think i'm stupid or something because it's like i'm put in the "extra help" classes for the morons. so i wondered whether i am dumb then.

i mean i have never believed i'm super smart but i get called stupid and dumb and sometimes treated like an idiot. i'm not trying to design this as a thing for fishing for compliments but i wondered if anyone has the same issues and what i do. i am working hard for good grades into a Russell group uni so yeah.

Hiya,
Trust me, if your getting those grades then you are definitely not stupid; there good grades and it looks like their improving which is the right direction. At my school, clinics are held for my subjects, no matter how intelligent you are, it's always wroth going because it is an opportunity for you to receive help on anything your unsure on. I don't know why your school invited you, but instead of looking at what they think in your academic abilities, have belief in yourself and use these as valuable revision sessions for any content your unsure on or even if it's to ask them about exam technique cause the more you make out of those , I'm sure they will be a major help for your exams.

It's worth me saying that I have had highs and lows in my subjects where on two exams, I may have hit an A but then on my recent exams, I'm getting a mixture including B's and C's. The most important thing is to use each exam as a learning curve, what content do you need to revise most, what kind of questions to you typically struggle with etc and then go over these lots of times before the final exams.

I know it's easier said than done, but don't let what other people say get to you, you are only capable of getting the grades that you belief you can get and that you work hard at which by the sounds of it your already doing. Plus, those who've called you stupid and dumb probably won't have any idea what they are doing but they don't want to admit that they need help.

I hope that helps :smile: and good luck, I believe in you.

Quick Reply

Latest