The Student Room Group

My boyfriend is a doctor; ask him anything!

MODERATION NOTE: Please note this thread is for generic advice only and if anyone has any specific medical concerns please visit your GP instead.

My boyfriend and I were talking about using tsr when we were younger, and thought it would be a nice idea to give back a little, and help someone out.

My boyfriend is a qualified gp, and I’m in my final year of a medical degree.

Feel free to ask any medical questions you have, and we’ll be happy to answer/give any advice!

Please note: This does not, and should not, substitute for a gp appointment. If you’re concerned, please book in with your doctor :smile:

Scroll to see replies

so when he starts a new yoghurt does he, like, lick the lid ? :holmes:
Original post by the bear
so when he starts a new yoghurt does he, like, lick the lid ? :holmes:

He’s a classy guy, he scrapes it with a spoon. Impressed yet? :wink:
Reply 3
how do you get to own a GP practice - do you like buy one and prove you're a doctor or do you have to work your way up
is it worth having one as like an investment? I hope this makes sense and doesn't sound dumb
Original post by isa04
how do you get to own a GP practice - do you like buy one and prove you're a doctor or do you have to work your way up
is it worth having one as like an investment? I hope this makes sense and doesn't sound dumb

It makes sense, don’t worry :smile:

We don’t actually own a GP practice, as GP stands for general practitioner; he just works as one. I’m not sure about buying a practice, but as far as I’m aware, they’re government owned (NHS), so can’t be bought. Doctors are required by law to have a medical degree, though, so they wouldn’t be able to work their way up. I hope this helps a little!
What advice would you give to any medicine applicants about the world of medicine? Anything you wish someone had told you about medicine as a career? Would you ever change your job?
Reply 6
Original post by Xx_Simba_xX
My boyfriend is a qualified gp, and I’m in my final year of a medical degree.

How do you go from being in Year 10 and doing GCSEs next year to being in the final year of a medical degree in the space of a month?

https://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=7314851
Original post by isa04

Perhaps a little off-topic but @GANFYD might be able to go a bit more into how it works?
Reply 8
It makes sense, don’t worry :smile:

We don’t actually own a GP practice, as GP stands for general practitioner; he just works as one. I’m not sure about buying a practice, but as far as I’m aware, they’re government owned (NHS), so can’t be bought. Doctors are required by law to have a medical degree, though, so they wouldn’t be able to work their way up. I hope this helps a little!

Oooookaaaay. Suggests you do not have much idea of how this works.......
If you have any advice on someone having depression,loneliness,Autism, anxiety that would be nice - already consulted with gp for a year, it’s not getting better.
Original post by Surnia
How do you go from being in Year 10 and doing GCSEs next year to being in the final year of a medical degree in the space of a month?

https://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=7314851

I feel like I’m in an interrogation room, aha. As mentioned in the above post, my partner and I were discussing how we used to use tsr as teenagers/early adults; after my daughter told us she discovered the site, and we thought it was funny how so many years later, it still exists. In short, My daughters account. I didn’t realise she posted quite so often in here, though. She wanted to be able to see people’s question too, and wanted to get her points up, or something.
Original post by isa04

Contracts for a GP practice are issued by the NHS. There have been few, if any, new ones for a while, so most practices are established, though do merge, expand etc.
You need a contract to be able to offer NHS Primary Care Services, as I say. Most GPs work under a GMS (General medical services) contract, a few hold historical PMS contracts and new ones are often APMS (allowing for non-Dr providers to take them over).
Most GPs who want to "own" the business apply for a Partnership job in an established practice. You often have to buy in to the business (usually by reduced drawings for a while), and then boom - that is it! Partners share the business decisions, the profit from the practice, but also the risk

https://www.kingsfund.org.uk/publications/gp-funding-and-contracts-explained#:~:text=The%20APMS%20framework%20allows%20contracts,of%20'core'%20general%20practice.
Original post by GANFYD
Oooookaaaay. Suggests you do not have much idea of how this works.......

No, as mentioned; ‘I’m not sure’. I’m focused on becoming a qualified doctor, and I don’t plan on ever owning my own practice. Add in where you’d like.
No, as mentioned; ‘I’m not sure’. I’m focused on becoming a qualified doctor, and I don’t plan on ever owning my own practice. Add in where you’d like.

Where are you at medical school?
Original post by GANFYD

What’s with the third degree, if you don’t have any medical questions, you’re wasting time,let others who have real questions about health get answered.
Original post by Anonymous
What advice would you give to any medicine applicants about the world of medicine? Anything you wish someone had told you about medicine as a career? Would you ever change your job?

He said he wouldn’t change his job, but does wish he’d had more experience before fully committing to his degree. Communication skills are everything in the profession, so it’s a good idea to ensure you can communicate well, for obvious reasons. Whilst I’m not yet qualified, I’m nearly there; I’d say to make sure you study smart, and don’t leave things to last minute. But, don’t neglect yourself, and let studying take over your life. Take a little time for yourself; even just for a walk, and remember why you wanted to do the job. My boyfriend was very ill as a child, and wanted to help others in the same way; but didn’t enjoy studying particularly, so, it was the biggest motivator for him.
What’s with the third degree, if you don’t have any medical questions, you’re wasting time,let others who have real questions about health get answered.

It is an AMA, so literally ask anything?
Original post by GANFYD

I’m at the university of Birmingham medical, my boyfriend qualified from Brighton and Sussex :smile:
I don’t like you

I could not give less of a ****
Original post by gjd800
Can he have a look at this spot on my arse?

Fair play, taking the title literally 😂:ahhhhh:

Quick Reply

Latest