The Student Room Group

does he no longer give a **** about me?

i feel like my boyfriend has given up on me, same with my family. he no longer encourages me to speak to doctors or take any meds even though my depression is so bad rn i feel like i can't function, like my body is just a corpse. he just lets me do whatever i want, like stay in bed all day

same with my family. when i turn up to family events looking like **** and quite obviously off my face on xanax, no one even comments on it . my entire existence is an inconvenience to them

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Ciel.
i feel like my boyfriend has given up on me, same with my family. he no longer encourages me to speak to doctors or take any meds even though my depression is so bad rn i feel like i can't function, like my body is just a corpse. he just lets me do whatever i want, like stay in bed all day

same with my family. when i turn up to family events looking like **** and quite obviously off my face on xanax, no one even comments on it . my entire existence is an inconvenience to them

I think you should step back and think about what you want or expect from your family and boyfriend, and how they are not meeting those expectations. For example, would you expect your boyfriend to continue to encourage you to speak to doctors and take your medications if he has persisted in this for a while and has seen it not work?

Point being, it can be difficult for your support network also to see you not be in a good state. I think make a small step to try getting back on your feet, for example, the smallest step towards being more active. It will get you feeling better and also encourage your partner that you are making some steps towards getting better.
Reply 2
Would you to go to the doctor's and take your meds if they asked you to? I suspect them asking didn't achieve much in the past...
Reply 3
Original post by Misogynist
I think you should step back and think about what you want or expect from your family and boyfriend, and how they are not meeting those expectations. For example, would you expect your boyfriend to continue to encourage you to speak to doctors and take your medications if he has persisted in this for a while and has seen it not work?

Point being, it can be difficult for your support network also to see you not be in a good state. I think make a small step to try getting back on your feet, for example, the smallest step towards being more active. It will get you feeling better and also encourage your partner that you are making some steps towards getting better.

i would do anything for him and he gives up on me this easily?

well it did eventually work, for a bit. like a year ago, or two years ago, i dont remember exactly.

idk how to take any steps to get back on my feet. i know its all in my head but for me, the worst part of depression is that it seems to affect my physical health too. i know that its an illusion, logically. but my body just feels like a cancer-ridden corpse, lol
Reply 4
Original post by black tea
Would you to go to the doctor's and take your meds if they asked you to? I suspect them asking didn't achieve much in the past...

well, it worked in the past. a couple times. one time he physically forced me to see one. obviously i hated it at the time but at least it showed me how much he cared
(edited 2 months ago)
Reply 5
Original post by Ciel.
i would literally kill for him if i had to and he gives up on me this easily?

well it did eventually work, for a bit. like a year ago, or two years ago, i dont remember exactly.

idk how to take any steps to get back on my feet. i know its all in my head but for me, the worst part of depression is that it seems to affect my physical health too. i know that its an illusion, logically. but my body just feels like a cancer-ridden corpse, lol

You need to seek help from a doctor, Ciel. This is not something that will get better on it's own. Sometimes, you just have to accept help even if it's not easy to do.
Reply 6
Original post by Ciel.
well, it worked in the past. a couple times. one time he physically forced me to see one. obviously i hated it at the time but at least it showed me how much he cared

maybe show him that you care by getting help so you can be well enough to be there for him?
Reply 7
maybe show him that you care by getting help so you can be well enough to be there for him?

i just dont know if its worth it anymore. i wouldnt even have to see anyone, still have a bunch of old leftover antidepressants but idk if i want to deal with the side effects anymore
I'm not going to beat you over the head with it, but sometimes you kinda revel in being a chaotic mess and over time peoples opinions and expectations will probably adapt to this.
Reply 9
Original post by StriderHort
I'm not going to beat you over the head with it, but sometimes you kinda revel in being a chaotic mess and over time peoples opinions and expectations will probably adapt to this.

idk why im so ****ed up tbh
Original post by Ciel.
i just dont know if its worth it anymore. i wouldnt even have to see anyone, still have a bunch of old leftover antidepressants but idk if i want to deal with the side effects anymore

sounds like life is pretty grim at the moment though. surely taking the meds and putting up with the side effects if your life will get easier in other ways is worth it?
Original post by Picnicl
Particularly saying she'd 'literally kill for him'. That's just sociopathy, potential psychopathy, for someone who's probably objectively not all that. Great people actually make us think great about the world in general, regardless of whether that largely comes from how great only they make our world.

*he
Original post by Ciel.

I don't want to be abrasive as i know you're going through a tough time. But do you expect other people to get you through your life? your family i can understand but a SO can only give so much before they eventually become fatigued both mentally and physically. I think you should look at it from his perspective, you said yourself that your "body is just a corpse" and i'm guessing hes not used to you in this state (i'm not sure), and its probably quite distressing for him, i imagine he's withdrawing to try and protect himself from bouts of prolonged mental anguish. Its not really anyone's responsibility to get you out of bed if you don't want to, at that point you're just asking for a home help aid. I'm not going to go any further as i don't know the ins and outs of your situation, but its just my thought upon reading this. I hope you can find peace in yourself and gain more energy for love in the future.
Reply 13
sounds like life is pretty grim at the moment though. surely taking the meds and putting up with the side effects if your life will get easier in other ways is worth it?

technically, yeah. but there's this stubborn part of me that doesnt want to do it. im also scared they might ruin my metabolism, i recently read an article about it
Reply 14
Original post by Picnicl
Particularly saying she'd 'literally kill for him'. That's just sociopathy, potential psychopathy, for someone who's probably objectively not all that. Great people actually make us think great about the world in general, regardless of whether that largely comes from how great only they make our world.

you got me there, i'm a psychopath because unlike most people, i actually understand what a partnership really is
Reply 15
Original post by Isaac Ryan
I don't want to be abrasive as i know you're going through a tough time. But do you expect other people to get you through your life? your family i can understand but a SO can only give so much before they eventually become fatigued both mentally and physically. I think you should look at it from his perspective, you said yourself that your "body is just a corpse" and i'm guessing hes not used to you in this state (i'm not sure), and its probably quite distressing for him, i imagine he's withdrawing to try and protect himself from bouts of prolonged mental anguish. Its not really anyone's responsibility to get you out of bed if you don't want to, at that point you're just asking for a home help aid. I'm not going to go any further as i don't know the ins and outs of your situation, but its just my thought upon reading this. I hope you can find peace in yourself and gain more energy for love in the future.

i expect at least some level of support and devotion, is that too much to ask? it's literally your partner's and your family's job. at least it should be. but they'd rather pretend that everythings fine

i doubt it's "distressing" for him tbh. this isn't the first time i'm going through this so he knows what's going on...
Original post by Ciel.
technically, yeah. but there's this stubborn part of me that doesnt want to do it. im also scared they might ruin my metabolism, i recently read an article about it

I get it, believe me. The meds don't necessarily have to be forever though.
Reply 17
I get it, believe me. The meds don't necessarily have to be forever though.

true, but it just doesnt feel worth it anymore
Original post by Ciel.
true, but it just doesnt feel worth it anymore

It's your depression telling you that. You have written in the past about enjoying things like your art, and your dog, and you clearly care about your partner - those things are probably still worth it to you deep down, even if it doesn't feel like that just now. And your parenter cares - would he really still be with you if he didn't? It's not like your relationship has been easy and he is making the choice to stay with you so you are obviously worth it to him...

This is an illness making you feel like this, this isn't the real you - don't let the illness win.
It seems like your partner has finally realized that he needs to drastically change his behaviour and have strong self-control to avoid any more situations arising that lead to busybody neighbours or worried passersby calling the police yet again.

Both strong self-control and changing behaviour in a more calm & mature way are necessary
In order to have any chance of ending the vicious cycle of aggression, drunken fighting, forcing involvement in your healthcare and other areas of your private life that you have the right to make your own choice about.

Your partner may be waiting for you to figure out that you also need to change your behaviour and do your part to end the bad habits that have had a very negative effect on the relationship & both of your mindsets.
The ball is now in your court.
It's time for you to make the commitment to building the happy future life that you want and put lots of effort into achieving it.
Whether that involves taking prescribed medications, eating more healthily, doing more exercise, enrolling on some part time courses or finding a mentor.

I'm not sure about your relatives or how compatible they view you & your lifestyle with their family dynamic.
Could be that they are struggling with their own serious health or have financial problems that they need to focus on to avoid ending up jobless, homeless and with no alternatives to relying on food banks.
Alternatively they might be bitter, envious, embarassed, spiteful, religious with little tolerance for those that don't share their beliefs or just plain nasty people that will never do anything helpful if they have any choice.

Do bear in mind that the financial situation in so much of the uk is much worse now than it was before the 2020 lockdown.
Most people now have to focus on their own problems and meeting their basic survival needs.

A lot of people who have very pressurising careers, are low paid or part time workers on zero hours contracts having a very difficult time staying in employment and remaining able to comfortably cope with their accomodation costs.
With many having serious problems even finding landlords that are willing to consider renting to them.

People with housing who fall behind with their rental payments or mortgages and don't have any way of paying their debts within 3-5 weeks are almost certain to end up with ruined credit histories.
Very likely to lose their accomodation too.
There's no time for them to continue with years of fighting.

For plenty of working people having an active social life has to take a backseat until their situation significantly improves.
This can lead to them experiencing a lot of envy and hostility directed at people who don't have to work because they are financially supported by a wealthy partner.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending