The Student Room Group

Can someone help with my A level choices?

I’ve already applied for my A levels: maths, further maths, physics and chemistry. The only problem is I’m not feeling as confident about physics compared to when I applied. I originally got a grade 9 in the November Physics paper 1 mock but this month in paper two got a 6 (I got 8/9s in every other subject). I know this is partially because our teacher hasn’t taught particularly well and I had come back from a school trip in France a few days prior but it has really knocked my confidence and I’m not sure if I should drop it or switch it to biology.
Original post by Zin0
I’ve already applied for my A levels: maths, further maths, physics and chemistry. The only problem is I’m not feeling as confident about physics compared to when I applied. I originally got a grade 9 in the November Physics paper 1 mock but this month in paper two got a 6 (I got 8/9s in every other subject). I know this is partially because our teacher hasn’t taught particularly well and I had come back from a school trip in France a few days prior but it has really knocked my confidence and I’m not sure if I should drop it or switch it to biology.

Hi, I think you should pick the subjects that you are genuinely passionate about. If you believe the teacher did not teach very well and that contributed to your 6 (which is still good btw), remember that teachers come and go, you will probably have a different teacher next year.
I am a year 13 student crying atm because I didn't pick the subjects I was passionate about and spiraled into a former shell of myself. I have become so nervous and anxious, indirectly because of this.
Although this might probably won't happen to you if you choose a subject you don't genuinely like, I'm just telling you my experience.
I wish I could turn back time and change everything but I can't. I wish you the best of luck. I hope this helped.
Reply 2
Original post by Zin0

Hi,

I know how you feel, I was unsure about some of my a level before I started the course. From my experience, it is always worth trying something out and then if you still find that you dislike physics two weeks into your stat of your a levels; then you can drop a fourth a level or switch to biology. In my school, we could swap our subjects within the first month or so, it may be worth asking your sixth form team if that is an option?

Also, don't worry if you've had one bad test result compared to many good ones, we all have ups and downs and not having a great teacher certainly doesn't help. You usually find that only when you start fresh at the beginning of your a levels is when you can see if that subject is right for you; also, I'd bare in mind that although they are both sciences, the a levels of physics and biology are quite different so it may be worth looking further into each one. It might be worth having a look at the specifications of physics and biology and see which one do you feel most excited about but I really wouldn't worry because you can always change them early doors anyways.

I currently do biology, maths, chemistry and psychology so if you have any further questions about what you cover in biology or the others then let me know and I'll try and help answer. Good luck!

Melody

Quick Reply

Latest