The Student Room Group

Security

I have been offered a job working security at my student's union. This will involve locking up during the week, and working club nights once a week. When I applied and got the interview, I wasn't expecting anything to come of it because I thought the interview went badly.

I am a little bit anxious about accepting, as I don't feel very qualified.

Does anyone have any experience or advice to offer me?
Original post by Cupcakes12
I have been offered a job working security at my student's union. This will involve locking up during the week, and working club nights once a week. When I applied and got the interview, I wasn't expecting anything to come of it because I thought the interview went badly.

I am a little bit anxious about accepting, as I don't feel very qualified.

Does anyone have any experience or advice to offer me?

You've mention two tasks:
1. "locking up during the week" - so you don't feel qualified to lock a door? :confused:
2. "working club nights" - is that checking people's id at the door, to ensure they're a student and are over 18?

What level of qualification do you think would be required for such a role? I suspect you're over-thinking this.
Original post by DataVenia
You've mention two tasks:
1. "locking up during the week" - so you don't feel qualified to lock a door? :confused:
2. "working club nights" - is that checking people's id at the door, to ensure they're a student and are over 18?

What level of qualification do you think would be required for such a role? I suspect you're over-thinking this.

I am definitely overthinking this 😅
Locking up isn't too stressful.
I think the bit I am worried about is if I am on the door at a club night and I end up having to break up a fight or something, I'm not really sure tbh...
I am definitely overthinking this 😅
Locking up isn't too stressful.
I think the bit I am worried about is if I am on the door at a club night and I end up having to break up a fight or something, I'm not really sure tbh...

Understood. Have you been to one of the club nights? How many fights did you see break out? Did you see how they were dealt with?

I'm no expert, but I'd have imagined that if fights are going to break-out, that'd be more likely to happen inside the venue rather that as it's entrance.

Unless you told them you hold a black belt in a martial art, they're not going to expect you to do anything more than a regular person would be able to do in terms of conflict resolution.

If you still have concerns, ask them what you'd be expected to do on club nights, specifically with regards to breaking-up any fights.

Try not to let you fear of what might happen rule the day. In all likelihood, you'll be fine.
Original post by DataVenia
Understood. Have you been to one of the club nights? How many fights did you see break out? Did you see how they were dealt with?

I'm no expert, but I'd have imagined that if fights are going to break-out, that'd be more likely to happen inside the venue rather that as it's entrance.

Unless you told them you hold a black belt in a martial art, they're not going to expect you to do anything more than a regular person would be able to do in terms of conflict resolution.

If you still have concerns, ask them what you'd be expected to do on club nights, specifically with regards to breaking-up any fights.

Try not to let you fear of what might happen rule the day. In all likelihood, you'll be fine.

Thank you! To be honest, I have only heard about one fight, and I have friends who go out there every week so I would probably have heard about it if there were more. I have been a few times myself and also never seen fights. I think it is just particularly weighing on my mind because it was only last week.

Thanks for the reassurance, I am just going to go for it and I am starting my onboarding process now.
Thank you! To be honest, I have only heard about one fight, and I have friends who go out there every week so I would probably have heard about it if there were more. I have been a few times myself and also never seen fights. I think it is just particularly weighing on my mind because it was only last week.

Thanks for the reassurance, I am just going to go for it and I am starting my onboarding process now.

Excellent. :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending