The Student Room Group

i'm currently obsessed over a man, how do i stop?

So I'm 20, i've never been in a relationship before but I met a guy, he's really lovely. And we both feel the same about each other but I feel like I can't stop thinking about him. It's a big distraction from my life and goals,

What can I do to stop thinking about him so much?

Thanks!
H
Make him your boyfriend or husband.
Original post by jay2013
Make him your boyfriend or husband.

that takes time, im Muslim so it would just be a husband
Original post by Anonymous
So I'm 20, i've never been in a relationship before but I met a guy, he's really lovely. And we both feel the same about each other but I feel like I can't stop thinking about him. It's a big distraction from my life and goals,

Thanks!
H

So has he become your boyfriend if the feeling is mutual?
Original post by Ayaz0089
So has he become your boyfriend if the feeling is mutual?

Nope, I’m Muslim so it would just go straight to marriage.
Nope, I’m Muslim so it would just go straight to marriage.

Have you ever done anything with him?

Thanks!
H

I have now reached the ripe old age of 60 and I can tell you that my biggest regret is spending too much time mooning over men and whether or not they were interested in me instead of concentrating on my life and goals, which are way more important. Your family and friends will always be there whatever happens and they merit your time and attention. Also working hard and getting a good education/job will give you lots of options for the future.
(edited 1 year ago)
Okay, I'm going to try to give as much of a nuanced take on this as I possibly can, while recognising the fact that I have very little cultural knowledge about the Muslim faith or your own country's/family's interpretation of it. You say that because you're Muslim, it would have to go straight to marriage, and I imagine that would be a bit of a distraction from your life and goals, yes. However, I would say that the biggest issue is having to impose such a finalised step (marriage) onto new/uncertain feelings. Ordinarily, I would say "You have a crush on him, go on a few dates, see how it goes, you don't have to marry him!". But...yeah. So here's a (very Westernised, religiously uneducated) perspective on this:
1) If he feels the same about you, figure out what that is, what that translates to. Perhaps for cultural reasons you couldn't "date" openly in the traditional sense, but you could informally be dating while seemingly being platonic to outsiders. I'm sure it's far too early for either of you to be thinking about marriage, but it might mean you can at least find a middle-ground.
2) If you actually want to stop thinking about him, then the only advice I have is to stop seeing him. This will not stop you thinking about him, your crush brain will constantly be doing that, but it might stop you from becoming even more obsessed or making any other memories together that will keep you distracted all the time.
3) Alternatively, if you can't really stop seeing him, then maybe try interacting with him only with other people present, so that the vibe is different. It might also allow you to see him more objectively, as you learn more about him and his behaviour. It's very difficult to stop thinking about people you have a crush on. But time, and seeing them as real people, can sometimes help shatter the perfect, idealised image of them you have in your head.
I'm not sure if this helps, but I hope it might give you some reassurance. Also just to emphasise: your feelings are not wrong or bad, and shouldn't be shut down for that reason. I'm just trying to give you options to navigate the restrictions that your faith might put on the way you can act on those feelings. Also, you might need to think about how this will affect your life long-term while you're trying to attain your goals, because there will probably be other crushes/loves that distract you just as much, if not more. Anyway, hope this helps somehow.
Reply 8
I don’t know much about Islam but I do have muslim friends. I would say just have a lot of prayers, distract yourself with your goals and religion and remind yourself if god wills him to be your husband, he will when the time comes. Don’t obsess over him, what is yours will eventually be yours.
Have you ever done anything with him?

No I’ve never done anything, I knew him since we were kids but because he’s a bit older than me I only started speaking to him now.
Original post by Oxford Mum
I have now reached the ripe old age of 60 and I can tell you that my biggest regret is spending too much time mooning over men and whether or not they were interested in me instead of concentrating on my life and goals, which are way more important. Your family and friends will always be there whatever happens and they merit your time and attention. Also working hard and getting a good education/job will give you lots of options for the future.

I’ll keep that in mind! Thank you, I’m currently a computer science student in uni, graduating in January
Original post by FlowerGirl2086
Okay, I'm going to try to give as much of a nuanced take on this as I possibly can, while recognising the fact that I have very little cultural knowledge about the Muslim faith or your own country's/family's interpretation of it. You say that because you're Muslim, it would have to go straight to marriage, and I imagine that would be a bit of a distraction from your life and goals, yes. However, I would say that the biggest issue is having to impose such a finalised step (marriage) onto new/uncertain feelings. Ordinarily, I would say "You have a crush on him, go on a few dates, see how it goes, you don't have to marry him!". But...yeah. So here's a (very Westernised, religiously uneducated) perspective on this:
1) If he feels the same about you, figure out what that is, what that translates to. Perhaps for cultural reasons you couldn't "date" openly in the traditional sense, but you could informally be dating while seemingly being platonic to outsiders. I'm sure it's far too early for either of you to be thinking about marriage, but it might mean you can at least find a middle-ground.
2) If you actually want to stop thinking about him, then the only advice I have is to stop seeing him. This will not stop you thinking about him, your crush brain will constantly be doing that, but it might stop you from becoming even more obsessed or making any other memories together that will keep you distracted all the time.
3) Alternatively, if you can't really stop seeing him, then maybe try interacting with him only with other people present, so that the vibe is different. It might also allow you to see him more objectively, as you learn more about him and his behaviour. It's very difficult to stop thinking about people you have a crush on. But time, and seeing them as real people, can sometimes help shatter the perfect, idealised image of them you have in your head.
I'm not sure if this helps, but I hope it might give you some reassurance. Also just to emphasise: your feelings are not wrong or bad, and shouldn't be shut down for that reason. I'm just trying to give you options to navigate the restrictions that your faith might put on the way you can act on those feelings. Also, you might need to think about how this will affect your life long-term while you're trying to attain your goals, because there will probably be other crushes/loves that distract you just as much, if not more. Anyway, hope this helps somehow.

Thank you, this is really helpful
1) Yeah we can still see each other, without having to get married right away

2) I’ll probably see him from family either way

3) I’m not sure how this will affect my life long goals, at the moment I’m a uni student
Original post by Kschu
I don’t know much about Islam but I do have muslim friends. I would say just have a lot of prayers, distract yourself with your goals and religion and remind yourself if god wills him to be your husband, he will when the time comes. Don’t obsess over him, what is yours will eventually be yours.

that’s an important reminder, thank you! :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending